Oh no- Humax DVR doesn't do DVR-R DL- help?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jsmirman, Jan 21, 2006.

1. jsmirman

jsmirman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    Somehow, I'm realizing I should have known this, although tivo doesn't seem to make this clear in the manual.

I bought a number of DVR-R DL discs and was all ready to finally burn the "best quality" material I had on to my new DVDs.

Now, I'm fearing that the files that exceed 100% for the regular DVDs will have to just sit on my tivo drive?

Is there any solution?

Is the best answer to transfer my tivo files over my wireless network to my computer and then utilize a standalone dvd burner? Is even this possible?

There's no way that humax ever comes out with a firmware update that will allow it to work with DL discs, is there?

Is there anyway to turn these files into DVD discs?

Many thanks for any help.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    My understanding is that DL requires a physical change to the drive, so no, a firmware update won't do it. Yes, you can transfer shows over the network to your PC using TiVoToGo and burn them there using the PC's burner.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    But, the PC's DVD burner needs to be able to burn DL discs.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    AFAIK, the drive in the DVR is likely DL capable, but the TiVo software needs to support it.

5. jsmirman

jsmirman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    Of course, I'm hoping that classicsat is right!

I'll probably call tivo/humax to yell at them/ask them this question... :eek:

6. jsmirman

jsmirman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    Thanks. Believe me, I will *not* be making this mistake again!