Official Words on VIP Lifetime Transfer

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by HDTiVo, Sep 15, 2006.

1. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002

Advertisements

Let's keep this a short, clear thread on the official policy regarding where you can purchase the box, what discounts/rebates might apply, and still get the $199 Lifetime transfer.

So if you are a TiVo employee, please post.

If you have already gotten an S3 from someplace other than TiVo.com AND have gotten the transfer from TiVo, please post details like price/rebates for box and what circumstances allowed you to get the transfer (ie. special exception, 'standard' policy, etc.)

If you have an S3 already activated, what is your experience trying to transfer Lifetime thereafter?

Thanks.

Answers:

1. The Official Policy no longer requires buying from TiVo, and TiVo has been allowing transfers for people who bought elsewhere before the policy change.

It is not, however, advisable to count on the retail exceptions longer term. They may only last until TiVo's own fulfillments stabilize.

2. Activating the S3 and then calling to transfer involves cancelling existing S3 service, but should be managable with some extra CSR effort within the 30 day return period. It is very likely that beyond the 30 day return period you will either not be able to Transfer at all or at least incur a cancellation penalty.

3. Your old TiVo converts to the then applicable one year monthly rate ($19.95 at press time) once the free year is up, until you call and specifically request another arrangement.

4. If you purchased an S3 at TiVo.com, but also bought an S3 elsewhere, you will be able to either refuse shipment or send it back without any costs to you. It may be advisible to call TiVo and get permission (noted on your account) before taking such action.

TiVoPony's new Thread sheds more light on the entire issue.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=317369

2. jmfairc

jmfairc Considering S3

Sep 14, 2006
    NYC
    Tivo would know if you got the S3 somewhere other than tivo. It clearly states that the deal is only for S3s purchased at tivo.

3. gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    But given the issues / confusion with shipping via the VIP program, some have reportedly been told that they CAN do a transfer to a retail-purchased box. Frankly, if this turns out to be true, I will be buying an S3 on Sunday, and transferring my S2 lifetime the same day.

Otherwise, I'm holding off for a while.

4. bferrell

bferrell Now in HD!

Jun 22, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'd like to as well, though now my local Best Buys and Circuit Citys are no longer reporting any local stock (they did a day or two ago), so it looks as though I'm screwed either way.

Brett

5. Kurthi

Kurthi Member "Lucky 200"

Sep 13, 2006
    SE PA

Advertisements

My conversation with a TiVo Sales Manager at 800-292-9104. at 11:00am ET

You CANNOT transfer lifetime from an S2 to a S3 bought at a retail location.

My conversation with a TiVo customer support rep. at 877-367-8486 at 11:30am ET

You CAN transfer lifetime from an S2 to a S3 bought at a retail location.

Since I got conflicting messages from two different departments, I asked the customer service rep to transfer me to a supervisor.

I had a nice conversation with Erin, a CS supervisor. She stated the following:

1.) They cannot cancel my order from 9/12/06 since it has already been confirmed.

2.) Once I get my DHL tracking email, I can either attempt to contact DHL and refuse shipment and my CC will correct in 5 -7 business days after the unit is returned to them. I can also accept the DHL package then contact TiVo and request a return.

3.) They are NOT allowing retail purchasers of an S3 to transfer lifetime service from an existing S2. You must purchase the exception3 from the tivo.com/vip site.

HOWEVER, Erin then put me on hold for several minutes, and stated that since I have been through so much trouble getting my unit that they would make an execption in my case :confused:

NOTE: I was given a case number that I must reference when activating the S3 from the VIP 800 number (866) 424-8486.

Take it for what it is worth. I am still unsure if I should his the local BB that has the unit in stock, or continue to wait. I had Comcast scheduled to install my Cablecards this afternoon. I had to cancel and reschedule for a week from today (9/22).

I expressed my extreme disappointment to both Erin (maybe why I got the xfer on retail unit) and the recorded survey after the call ended.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

6. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    This is the same thing I had to go through yesterday and I was given a cas number and told they will do the transfer but I may need to refernce that number

7. deaton_69

deaton_69 New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    You CAN transfer a box purchased at retail via the VIP offer. I just did it. Purchased the box at Best Buy and called the toll free number provided in the VIP offer to transfer. The service was transfered with no issues at all.

8. Blackforge

Blackforge New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    North AL
    Me too, bought my box last night at Best Buy (last one of two) and did the lifetime transfer this morning. I did have some issues though, because I temporarily activated the box because by the time I got it setup the VIP number had closed. Everything went through and I have a case number myself.

Both people I talked to were really nice and apologetic for taking so long. The second guy even asked where I bought it from. So I'm happy I guess, even if I am poorer :)

9. Granzella

Granzella New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    deaton:
    When you did the transfer, Did they ask you where you bought the tivo from or did you tell them you bought the unit from a retail store?

10. deaton_69

deaton_69 New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Granzella:
    They never asked and I never offered. They simply asked for my existing service number and asked for the new service number on S3 box. That and the Credit card number were the extent of my conversation.

11. lemketron

lemketron Senior Bit Twiddler

Jun 24, 2002
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Just to add another note for those (few lucky folks) who may be eligible but not aware... Grandfathered S1 lifetime subs (purchased before 1/21/2000, as described here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=290723) are allegedly transferable (for free) to a S3 regardless of where you bought it.

12. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    I added the case of a previously activated S3 having Lifetime transfered to the OP for the future.

13. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    The official word is what's in the Terms and Conditions: Officially only Series3 units purchased directly from TiVo.com will qualify.

However, even though we're not obligated to accept retail orders for this offer, my understanding is that if you call customer support and ask for the offer, in most cases we will honor the offer.

If the Series3 unit you're trying to transfer to is already activated, then our customer support agents will not be able to help you unless the service is first canceled. (Since there's a 30-day money back guarantee, act fast and make sure you cancel within 30 days.)

14. jasbur

jasbur New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Terms and conditions state:
    "All terms and conditions for a 1-year prepaid subscription apply to your old DVR. At the end of 1-year, you will be automatically rolled to then-applicable monthly rate. The 1-year contract is not transferable to another party."
    Isn't service free for a year on the old box? Then what terms would there be?

15. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Thanks Stephen!

16. Gregor

Gregor Wear Your Mask! TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002

Read carefully. It's a 1 year prepaid subscription. At the end of 1 year it converts to the monthly rate, whatever it is (right now it's $6.95 since you have another Tivo)

17. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    See recent updates reflecting TiVoStephen and question of service cost on old box after free year (3).

18. bferrell

bferrell Now in HD!

Jun 22, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    Well, I'm sure Tivo Stephen should know, but when I called in to ask this very question, a nice CSR read me her rules sheet, and it specifically stated that retail was OK. I asked her to note that she told me this on my account, which she did, and I called everywhere to find a local box. No BB or CC's in Cincy or Dayton had them, and Frys in Indy only had 2, I had them hold one and drove 2 hours (each way) to get it. I know, I was really Jonesing. Anyhoo, just called and switched my lifetime no questions asked.

19. GT1Boy

GT1Boy got tivo?

Mar 23, 2004
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks for the info Stephen.

I called the VIP number earlier today and transferred lifetime from my Pioneer DVR-810 to my new Series 3 that I purchased from circuitcity.com. It took only 5 minutes to complete. If you know that you are going to be using your Series 3 for longer than 18 months and likely to no longer use your old lifetimed Series 2 after 12 months (or let it revert back to TiVo Basic for Pioneer or Toshiba TiVos), it's a great opportunity for new TiVo Series 3 owners to take advantage of. :up:

20. jtbarrett

jtbarrett New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    While I am happy that TiVo is allowing lifetime transfers for retail, I'm NOT happy that they relented AFTER I bought one directly from them specifically because of the transfer option. Tivo's generosity to others essentially -cost- me about $100. I sure don't feel very much like a VIP... :(