Official Tivo HD issues thread

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by knownzero, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Jul 30, 2007 #1 of 128
    knownzero

knownzero Seeker

Feb 26, 2001
    Columbus OH

Advertisements

Since I'm having a couple issues at the moment, I thought I might as well get the ball rolling and start a thread for anyone experiencing any problems.

My first issue was audio dropping in the menu. Still haven't figured that one out but now that I have the cable cards in I can't recreate the problem.

The next is the issue of pixellation on channels and in the menu. The pixellation is still there after the reboot. In the Diagnostics under the Cable Card menu Cable Card 1 has a signal strength bouncing back and forth between 75 and 81 where Cable Card 2 has a steady 87. Not sure what to make of those number.

The third is one that just happened - I was in the Now Playing list changing the way the groups are sorted, I changed it to Groups - Off and it instantly rebooted as soon as I hit enter. Tried it again after the reboot and I can't reproduce it.

Also, after a reboot, I don't have any sound. I have to turn the tv off and on to get the sound back (HDMI handshaking issue?)

So there's the short list, anyone else experiencing issues?

2. Aug 1, 2007 #2 of 128
    aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I have my TivoHD with OTA HD and standard analog cable (no CableCards). I've had two issues:

Intermittent pixelization of standard Tivo menus -- this seems to be completely random, and I saw it primarily with component hookups. Since I switched to HDMI, I haven't been able to reproduce it. It was happening just after selecting an item (say the Now Playing Listing from the main menu) and pixelates right as the screen is rendering. This is quite infrequent for me though, I have only seen it 3 or 4 times.

Random reboot while in the antenna signal strength menu.

As far as I can tell, the pixelization issue in programming is confined to CableCard and not OTA. The pixelizations I get are when I have multipath (helicopter flying by my line of site) or during storms. Both tuners work equally well on my OTA HD.

3. Aug 1, 2007 #3 of 128
    ldc3000

ldc3000 Member

Jun 24, 2004
    NC
    I can't be 100 % for certain, but I think some changes require a reboot, kind of like how Windows make you do a restart. When I first changed my video format it did a reboot. It only did it the first time I changed it and if I remember correctly it did the same thing on both units.

4. Aug 1, 2007 #4 of 128
    kennedy

kennedy Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Northeast Ohio
    I have the same Analog and OTA setup as you and can confirm the reboot while in the antenna signal strength menu. My reboots have occurred while checking the signal strength on one of our low band VHF channels (RF-2). The signal strength hovers around in the 50s for a few seconds and then jumps into the upper 80s (which is where the signal locks on my S3) and then reboots. Checking the signal on other OTA channels appears to be fine.

And like you said, I have seen no pixelation on any channels that is not consistent with a momentary multipath issue.

5. Aug 1, 2007 #5 of 128
    URPREY

URPREY Closet TiVo User

Sep 12, 2003
    Louisville, KY

Advertisements

I experienced this as well.

6. Aug 1, 2007 #6 of 128
    brermike

brermike Member

May 31, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    I have experienced some minor pixelation on the Tivo menu screens, as well as during some programming content. The weird thing is, I don't think it has anything to do with the programming source becuase if I rewind and rewatch for the pixelation it is not there. I'm using HDMI so maybe the pixelation is being caused between the Tivo and the TV, and not via the cable cards. The pixelation is generally infrequent.

Another issue I am having is slow Tivo menus and guide. I mentioned this in another thread and the consensus seems to be that it will be fixed whenever the Tivo HD is upgraded to 8.3 like the original Series 3.

Other than that, it is working great. No reboots or cable card issues.

7. Aug 1, 2007 #7 of 128
    aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    When a TiVo reboots, its almost always because it encountered an error/bug, and automatically thinks to reset itself. I would say that your reboot experience is not normal functionality.

8. Aug 1, 2007 #8 of 128
    drewpydog

drewpydog New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    I have my TivoHD hooked up via component to an older HD monitor (480p/1080i only, no HDMI). I noticed yesterday that on some SD programs there seems to be a scaler artifact where lots of horizontal jags go across the screen. Then it happened again on a CNET Tivocast program last night - it was unwatchable. There was even horizontal roll (like on a 1960s TV) for several minutes. All HD programs are OK.

The not-great solution was to change the format from fixed 1080i to hybrid 480p/1080i . Now I have a pause when I go from SD to HD or to menu, but the jags and roll are gone. Hopefully this is a software problem and can be fixed.

9. Aug 1, 2007 #9 of 128
    Sandlapper

Sandlapper New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The pixelation issues my not be a Tivo issue. I get pixelation on my HD channels without a Tivo for no reason sometimes. I think it has something to do with signal strength.

10. Aug 1, 2007 #10 of 128
    bigusmfan

bigusmfan New Member

Feb 20, 2002
    But why then would it appear in the Tivo menus? I've only had a few minutes to play with my HD since the 2d cablecard was installed. I did notice some pixelation when first tuning to a different station. Don't recall that when I only had 1 card installed.

11. Aug 1, 2007 #11 of 128
    Vespa

Vespa Curious

Jan 4, 2002
    37.1400(N)...
    I have the format indicators enabled on the front panel (480p/I, 720p and 1080i) and I am hooked up to my Bravia 47” LCD. I noticed that when I switch between content of different formats, that it causing a slight delay and what appears to be a signal reset to my TV. I can tell it’s a signal reset, because my TV’s display (time, input and type) appears for 5 or so seconds each time the Tivo switches between format. Could this be a result of the HDMI connection sending a new handshake each time? It’s really annoying.

12. Aug 1, 2007 #12 of 128
    Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    I also see pixellation during playback. Definitely a TiVo issue, not a problem with source material. How do I know that? Simple: I jump back 8 seconds and pixellation is gone.

My guess is that TiVo is using crappy hard drives (aren't all consumer grade hard drives crappy these days?). These drives occasionally get soft read errors on playback. TiVo chooses to ignore the error indication and displays possibly corrupt data. The alternative would be to pause the playback while re-reading the sector or applying ECC. Jittering playback would be far more annoying to many more people.

But given the relatively slow data rates (full HD is only about 2 MB/sec) I'm surprised that the TiVo doesn't buffer enough to be able to do at least a few read retries, and if those still fail, to apply ECC to the data block, all without jittering playback. Maybe this is something that will be improved over time.

I also see the random reboots during signal strengh tests. Not really a big deal. The only reason I mention it is to let TiVo employees who may be reading know that the problem is apparently quite widespread.

13. Aug 1, 2007 #13 of 128
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    That's a problem with the deinterlace circuitry in your HD monitor. It's not a problem with the Tivo.

If you see a horizontal scrolling bar, that is a grounding issue, either with the cable or the power.

14. Aug 1, 2007 #14 of 128
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    You have native mode set.

When you have native mode enabled, the Tivo outputs the original resolution of whatever channel it is on. It outputs 480i on SD channels, 720p on 720p channels, and 1080i on 1080i channels. Some displays can sync between different resolutions in 0.5 seconds while others may take 6.0 seconds or longer. The cheap deinterlace circuitry in your Sony XBR appears to take five seconds.

You can set the Tivo to process every format to a single resolution in Settings -> Display, thereby eliminating the need for your TV to switch between different source resolutions. Choose Fixed 720p or Fixed 1080i. That will eliminate the resyncs, but at some sacrifice in quality if your TV has a better scaler than the Tivo.

15. Aug 1, 2007 #15 of 128
    aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Well, my 30-second skip was reset this morning, so I can only assume it rebooted during the night. SW version number is unchanged (8.1.7a).

CORRECTION: Now I know for certain it rebooted in the middle of the Daily Show, since I only have a partial recording of it.

16. Aug 1, 2007 #16 of 128
    Vespa

Vespa Curious

Jan 4, 2002
    37.1400(N)...
    Indeed I do have Native mode set. Since my TV supports 720p/1080i (and 1080p) what is the consensus as the best mode to choose? Or is this one of personal preference? I set it to 1080i for now.

Update: I just checked, and my TV is doing the same thing on Hybrid mode set to 1080i.

17. Aug 1, 2007 #17 of 128
    kennedy

kennedy Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Northeast Ohio
    It's a personal preference. Ultimately, what looks best to you. If you have a "Full HD" set that does 1920x1080, then the conventional wisdom would be to pick 1080i Fixed.

18. Aug 1, 2007 #18 of 128
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Hybrid mode passes 480i as 480p, 720p as 720p, and 1080i as 1080i. In other words, there is still resolution switching.

If you want avoid the resolution switching, at some sacrifice in quality, then you need to use Fixed. Use fixed 720p for 720p displays and fixed 1080i for 1080p displays. If you have a 768p display, try both and see what looks better to your eyes.

Channels like ABC, FOX, ESPN, ESPN2, and NGC-HD use 720p, so will probably look better in Fixed 720p. Channels like CBS, NBC, PBS, HBO, Showtime, Starz, Discovery, MTV, Food, HGTV, and Universal use 1080i, so will probably look better in fixed 1080i.

19. Aug 1, 2007 #19 of 128
    Vespa

Vespa Curious

Jan 4, 2002
    37.1400(N)...
    Yup...I switched it to Fixed and 1080i and the switching is gone.

Anyone have any early comments on the how good (or bad) the video scaler in the HD is?

20. Aug 1, 2007 #20 of 128
    Illrigger

Illrigger New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    I'm getting pixelization/dropouts caused by the THD as well, usually once or twice an hour. I tried the rewind trick, and indeed it's not in the signal, as it wasn't consistently in the same place in a recorded show. I've tried different output modes (I usually run in 1080i because my CRT HDTV has a pretty severe overscan in 720p) with no change in the number or severity of the dropouts. It happens on shows recorded on both CCards, so that's not the issue. It's not a HUGE deal (it lasts less than a second, and is infrequest), and is probably a software glitch, or at least can be fixed in software. Hopefully we see a patch soon.

I have NOT have any audio issues, or dropouts on the menus as some have reported.