Official Beta Testing Signup for new TiVo Mobile App

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by krkaufman, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Aug 6, 2018 #1 of 208
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

See the following Google docs form to sign up as an official beta tester of TiVo's new mobile app (for iOS & Android).

Note the following from the first page of the signup form:

You understand that TiVo's Beta testing program requires you to sign an NDA and participate in weekly testing tasks.

Announced via a post to the TiVo.Innovate Facebook group, here.

David Shoop: Anyone intersted in Beta testing the new mobile app, iOS and Android? You can be a part of TiVo's Beta Testing crew. Please complete the signup process using the following Google Form: TiVo Mobile Beta Testing Signup.

Thanks in advance for your interesting in participating in our Beta​

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    samccfl99, aaronwt, tim1724 and 5 others like this.
  2. Aug 6, 2018 #2 of 208
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

JoeKustra likes this.
  3. Aug 6, 2018 #3 of 208
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Signed up. I hope they don’t break the current iOS app which works fine for me although I don’t stream to my devices.

4. Aug 28, 2018 #4 of 208
    jkudlacz

jkudlacz Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Miramar, FL
    Any news/update on the new Tivo Beta App for Android and iOS? I hope this comes out soon. iOS app needs a major refresh, and I hope new Tivo app works on Amazon Fire Stick too.

5. Aug 28, 2018 #5 of 208
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

I'm betting the update will have a Hydra like UI, so be careful what you wish for.

6. Aug 29, 2018 #6 of 208
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I kind of hope so... the current app is terribly out of date, a UI refresh would be nice, but I also hope it uses the new services and performs better.

We will see...

tim1724 likes this.
  7. Aug 29, 2018 #7 of 208
    powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    What new services?

In theory, a UI refresh would be OK. In practice the refresh usually entails removal of some useful feature set.

8. Aug 29, 2018 #8 of 208
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Out of date?? Perhaps, but it gets the job done. I certainly hope it doesn’t radically change, i.e., Hydra.

9. Aug 29, 2018 #9 of 208
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I suspect the design queues will very closely mirror Hydra.

[​IMG]

aaronwt likes this.
  10. Aug 29, 2018 #10 of 208
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Hydra would work well on a tablet. A phone doesn’t really have a lot of room for slides, etc.

11. Aug 29, 2018 #11 of 208
    wco81

wco81 Active Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    It's good to hear that they're working on a relatively major update.

Good to hear they're still working on it at all.

I'd be happy if it provided commercial skip on the downloaded recordings.

However, I think the fundamental problem is that the processor on the DVRs are outdated, which would for instance be a reason why whenever you change panels or load the programming guide, it's slow to update.

I also believe the poor download speeds are also related to outdated hardware.

bradleys likes this.
  12. Aug 29, 2018 #12 of 208
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    downloading shows is very very iffy for me, but if there was skip mode, and hopefully quick mode (though I still want it far faster than the Tivo itself does), I'd try downloading again to watch at the gym. as it is now, I just watch the stuff on Hulu no commercials, and for a few other things, I watch in VLC shows downloaded -- which has far worse control over the video than the normal swiping through the video in the iOS app.

13. Aug 29, 2018 #13 of 208
    wco81

wco81 Active Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    It's very iffy for me too, when I'm doing it from half way around the world, even with very fast connections on both ends.

An hour show at medium quality is about 600-700 MB. But it can take days, including repeated aborts. Tivo app. says streaming device not found. If you try later, it will work. But it's kind of a PITA, even though I have to keep the app. open.

Other streaming apps. which lets you download do not have these problems. For instance, the Showtime Anytime app. will download in the background and rarely requires intervention to restart it several times.

I think that points at the Tivo hardware not being fast enough to "serve" these downloads.

But it's a very useful feature when you get it to work. When you have some down time during travels, it's nice to be able to view your recordings instead of waiting to get back home.

mattack likes this.
  14. Aug 30, 2018 #14 of 208
    compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    If there is one thing Tivo has going for it, it is hardware being fast enough...

15. Aug 30, 2018 #15 of 208
    humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    I always thought that the major bottleneck in downloading from a Tivo box is the home network upstream speed. (Not an issue with streaming app downloads.)
    Am I wrong? I just did a speedtest on my Comcast ISP and it read 212 Mbps down, but only 12 up.

16. Aug 30, 2018 #16 of 208
    wco81

wco81 Active Member

Dec 28, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Sure, but what about when you refresh the screen in the app. for the programming guide, My Shows or the To Do list?

Those aren't doing a file transfer but rather it has to gather the current state from the DVR and send it for the app. to refresh.

I'm surprised there are doubts about the Broadcom processor in the Roamio being outdated now. It's 5 years old now?

There's a reason the client apps. for streaming apps. are sluggish.

17. Aug 30, 2018 #17 of 208
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I agree. For me, until I upgraded to a Bolt last summer, the app never would work for me on my TiVoHD even though it was "supposed to". So I too find that the app does exactly what I need it to, but, yes, everyone is dufferent.

18. Aug 30, 2018 #18 of 208
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is a reason for this. TiVo doesn't really "download" the show. It uses the same HLS format for both streaming and downloading. HLS works by breaking up a video into thousands of little 10 second chunks then using a playlist file to tell the device their order. When you download a file it simply saves all the little chunks to a folder on the drive. With iOS the Apple SDK only allows you to push a single download operation off into the background, then when it's done your app is terminated. Since TiVo is downloading thousands of little chunks, and not one big file, it's not possible for it to push that download task off into the background. With iOS you can set a sort of timer that will get called every now and then and check for new download tasks, which is how some apps are capable of creating a download queue, but the rate it's called is in minutes (decided by iOS) so if TiVo were only allowed to download one 10 second chunk every time it wouldn't be practical for them to use this.

The only way TiVo could support background downloading on iOS is to switch to a different, single file, format for downloading. Then they could push the download off into the background and it would complete without the app having to be open. I have no idea how hard/easy that would be for them to do. Especially since they would need to also support the old Stream hardware which is a lot more difficult for them to update and has to act as sort of a proxy between the source TiVo and the mobile device.

aaronwt, bradleys and Headford like this.
  19. Aug 30, 2018 #19 of 208
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    My understanding is that background tasks have a 10 minute window to complete tasks and if they don't they have to sleep and wait for iOS to allocate them more time. Even if TiVo made a single large file, I doubt it could download in less than 10 minutes.

20. Aug 30, 2018 #20 of 208
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    There is an exception for downloads. Downloads are treated differently. You basically setup the download using a special API class, then you can pass that off to the OS if your app is closed so that it'll complete in the background. But the API takes a single URL. So it'd have to be a single file to work. HLS basically uses a bunch of separate HTTP requests to download each tiny segment of the video.

Although I wonder if they could use the little overlay movie window thing, that allows the app to continue to play a video PIP when it's closed, to trick iOS into downloading in the background?

tim1724 likes this.