Off The Map 1/12/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by betts4, Jan 13, 2011.

1. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...

Advertisements

Watched the pilot last night. It was interesting and I loved seeing Zach Gilford in his role. Different then his QB1 role in FNL's. It was a bit predictable/cliche, but had some neat twists. We will see.

2. Lori

Lori Social Defective

Feb 20, 2000
    Bowie, MD USA
    I'm a huge fan of Shonda's work, so I will stick with this till they work some kinks out. That said, it was a little...fraught. Everyone confessed their deep, shameful secrets, plus they cut a guy off a zipline, and gave him coconut blood, and won over a hardened, grieving TB sufferer. It was like they took all the dramatic beats of five episodes and crammed them all in to one.

I was exhausted at the end. And felt more than a little manipulated. YOU WILL LIKE THESE PEOPLE! LOOK! THEY HAVE HAD TRAGEDIES! THEY ARE STARTING OVER! ROOT FOR THEM, DAMMIT!

But, I owe Shonda for many of my favorite hours of TV, so she gets me for a couple more weeks at least. :)

3. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    For those that missed it, it will be reaired tonight, instead of Private Practice.

4. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    I'm enjoying the exotic location feel that it's set in very much. I don't think I'd watch a new doctor show without some major twist like that (I stopped watching Grey's Anatomy a few seasons back).

Of course, I'd prefer a space station or alien planet better, but I'll settle for a fake South American jungle in Hawaii for now ;)

5. gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi

Advertisements

Heh, when I saw some of the ads on the web without sound, I thought for sure this was going to be set in Hawaii. What little I've seen of South America doesn't really look like that. (Also, oddly, what was really confusing to me was the superficially at least some of the actors look like people from Lost, so when I was seeing the ads without sound, it was really throwing me for a loop.)

I'll have to try recoding the rerun, since I'm sure my original was screwed up. Although after the drivel that Greys and PP have turned into, I don't really hold high hopes for something from the same people.

6. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
  7. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Do we really need another doctor drama?

I'd much rather prefer a really gritty (like The Shield) EMT (ambulance) show, where they enter into some gnarly situations.

Gang shootings, massive car pile ups, people trapped in impossible situations. Than having them unwind from experiencing all of that (drug use, alcoholism, sex addiction, violent explosions). Yeah there will be some doctor interaction, but maybe at a minimum.

8. jk5598224

jk5598224 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    In the middle of watching pilot. Of course first thing I did was see where it is filmed, given it is 'set' in South America... Hawaii..

Only some spots in Brasil would look like that tropical.

Surprisingly the Spanish speaking accents are not as bad as most shows....

Looks like more cheesy TV fun to watch.

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I know the other show was medical _students_, but I immediately thought of the short lived "Going to Extremes" when I saw this show.

(Err, I saw most of the pilot so far.. My Tivo is either being flaky or dying.)

10. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    I was hoping this would be a "Northern Exposure" sort of show. Disappointed.

11. gschrock

gschrock Active Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    Hmm, there really shouldn't be any spanish speaking accents. It's portuguese in Brazil.

12. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    The location is "Somewhere in South America", not necessarily Brazil.

13. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I think it's officially Kauai South America

14. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    The folks are speaking Spanish. I understood more than the fictional doctors did. Were none raised in California or other southewestern states? I would think they would have been taught basic Spanish health related phrases. (I loved the woman giving the doctor the chicken. I would think the clinic would have a chicken coup for fresh eggs but then again I am practical and this is filmed in Hawaii not the third world.)

15. jk5598224

jk5598224 New Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yes I know that, I mean the Spanish speakers in Hawaii (aka 'South America').:rolleyes:

16. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I didn't listen real carefully. Did anyone recognize any odd accents such as Mexican or some other non-South American accent?

17. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Why not? How many cop/procedural shows are there?

And if you look closely enough, they are supposedly reusing some of the Lost sets and canned mountain (and other) footage.

IIRC, there was one shot that looked like Patchy's hut.....

Anything Lost related is fine by me! :up:

18. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    LOL! I was watching the actors and the story more than the scenary unless it was really pretty.

19. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I watched with the wife because there wasn't much else on last week. I thought it was pretty bad. The worst part was the angst-ridden speech the main character gave to everyone else in order to convince them to take Michael McKean to the lake instead of putting him in the helicopter. My wife (who is a big GA and PP fan) even thought that scene was really cheesy and overly dramatic.

20. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    :up: :up: :up:

Unfortunately the resemblance of any of the current shows to Lost is pretty slim. :(