Off the Grid: Million Dollar

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by wendiness1, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1 of 15
    wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    I would so love to see some of the folks from here compete on this show. I think someone here could beat 'em.

First night was tonight and it was interesting but there are some inherent problems that kind of screw it up. The premise is that a team is set out in some major city (in this case downtown L.A.) and given three tasks to perform. They will be hunted down by a team of about 5 guys (I think) who have access to the city's camera system, tracking the teams' cell phones and credit card purchases. If they elude the trackers, they will $1 million.

The major problem is that while they can avoid using their cell phone (which, oddly they do use and it ultimately does them in), two of the tasks require them to make purchases. Not having any cash on them, they're forced to the use credit card so it defeats the challenge to complete the tasks without using the credit card. I don't know how one gets around this.

Anyway, I'll probably watch it again but if they don't resolve this one flaw, I'll probably lose interest quickly.

Anybody else watch it?

2. Dec 9, 2011 #2 of 15
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Sell the cell phone to someone for cash?

(I didn't see the show.)

3. Dec 9, 2011 #3 of 15
    FireMen2003

FireMen2003 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Peachtree...
    The guys were idiots especially when they accepted the phone call at the LA Print store.

Did they have to walk? It would have made more sense to catch the bus and throw the guys off their trail.

4. Dec 9, 2011 #4 of 15
    wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    See!? I KNEW somebody here could beat it! Imagine the fun as the trackers follow the new owner of the cell phone!

5. Dec 9, 2011 #5 of 15
    wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    They made a lot of stupid moves, especially using the cell phone as often as they did. The tracker told them upfront that that would be their biggest mistake and that people go for convenience. There weren't into it for more than about 5 minutes before they used it. Sheesh!

I also though they should have walked apart from each other. Not a long distance. Perhaps 20 feet or so. Because the trackers were looking for two men. At a glance, a man walking alone might not have attracted their attention.

6. Dec 9, 2011 #6 of 15
    kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    They are required to make purchases, but can they barter?

The idea is

1. Before they have any real idea where you are, find a store in an area likely not to have good surveillance, and buy a fair number of items that have a reasonable cash resale value. If you can use a debit card, even better, since you can get some "walking around money" easily.

2. Quickly use some sort of transit (bus, subway, taxi) to get quickly away from the spot where you used the card.

3. Liquidate the items bought in step one for cash. Remember that you've got ID and the receipts showing that the items are yours. Sure, you've lost a fair bit of money here, but now you have untrackable cash to spend.

4. Move on quickly from there in case they've figured out that out.

5. Then carefully do the rest of your shopping, incrementally spaced over the day so that you can find someplace fairly safe to lay low between the trips.

For extra fun, do things like see if you can ditch the cell phones on someone else, or mail them ("Our subject is now approaching the mail sorting facility....")

Mind you, how do they do the camera work? Having a camera crew following you is kind of a giveaway?

7. Dec 9, 2011 #7 of 15
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I haven't watched it yet, but do they give all the rules? They problems with these shows is they never give all the rules so you constantly question why someone doesn't do anything, because the show never told you it was against the rules. This was the case with Take the Money and Run and they finally posted rules online where you could read.

8. Dec 9, 2011 #8 of 15
    Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    My first step would have been to find Walmart and get a few throwaway phones with the credit card and get as much cash back as possible during the credit card purchase. I would then give the credit card and other phone to someone in the store and tell them to max it out. That might trick the trackers in to thinking I'm still in the store.

9. Dec 9, 2011 #9 of 15
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I'm interested. What channel is this show on?

10. bryhamm

bryhamm randomize

Jun 30, 2004
    St Louis area
    +1

11. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I think it was just a special or maybe a sneak for a 2012 show. I don't see any in the guide now.

12. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    History channel.

13. wendiness1

wendiness1 WiiMomma

Jul 29, 2005
    Idunno
    Brillliant! And this is why i said somebody here could probably beat them. Quick! Someone, sign up for the show. I'm serious and I get a cut of the $1M.

14. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW