Oem Humax Replacment Burner

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by Humax_Magician, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Humax_Magician

Humax_Magician New Member

Dec 22, 2006

Advertisements

My original thread post was this . . . .

I have 2 of these machines and both DVD burner's wore out or failed.

Humax was no help

I got alot of advice from on here about what to do and all I wound up doing was buying alot of DVD burners that DID NOT WORK.

I finally got a CASE of 24 OEM DVD burners for Humax Units from a wholesaler in china. ?I had to buy a case to get even one.

I replaced both of mine (plug and play/burn in 5 min) and they work like NEW !

Im keeping 2 spares each, but still have 18-20 or so brand new ones.

Let me know if your looking to get a spare or replace a bad one.

The Humax Magician

I was reading the replies and I don't have the time and energy to answer them all, but here are a few . . . .

Why did I buy a case when so many Message Board guru's posted a $40.00 solution ?

BECUSE THIER SOLUTIONS DON'T ALWAYS WORK AND IT COST ME TIME AND MONEY !!!! I got OEM ones and my Machines work great.

Alot of how much $$$ ect questions that I cannot answer on the board. Im not trying to do this a a buisness or SPAM this fine Message board. Email me if you want one and we can work something out I have about a dozen of the 24 left and have helped out a few people on here and E-bay. My sole reason to post here was I found a solution and I had to buy a case so If I can help others out I will. I use mine to run a buisness so I burn out a DVD burner faster than the average joe, but I still could not use 24 of them LOL

Pretty much just e-mail me if you want to solve your HUMAX DVD Burner issue and not have to rub a cross three times, say 1000 hail marys or sacrifice any live chickens LOL (thats a joke)

Thanks

Humax Magician

2. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    if you're not trying to Spam the board, why are you creating duplicate threads (in the same forum) just to sell something to us?

3. Humax_Magician

Humax_Magician New Member

Dec 22, 2006
    NO . . Becuse after awhile people stop reading to the bottom of a list of replies that gets too long

R U new ?

Humax Magician

4. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I'm not new, but you are

It is always better to post in an existing thread instead of creating a new one

ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO SELL SOMETHING

You should see where I'm coming from. I didn't make a fuss over your original thread, just the second one.

5. steeleno12

steeleno12 New Member

May 9, 2004

Advertisements

Okay, I have a question about the OEM burner being discussed in this thread. While Humax_Magician may not be trying to spam this board I still have to ask about his statements on this board about the solutions offered to him not working as well as the copy he has to sell these on ebay with the following copy:

First of all, Humax_Magician, can you tell me what replacement burners you tried first before you found the ones that have worked for you? I would like to try to avoid them.

Second, will others from this board address the firmware issue he has mentioned? I see that others have installed the Pioneer DVR-111 burners...has there been any kind of a firmware issue or need to update the firmware prior to installation of the DVR-111'S?

Has everyones experience besides Humax-Magician been that the replacement burners have been truly plug and play?

By all means, I am not challenging anyone, just trying to get some factual answers so that I can successfully replace the burner.

Thanks!

6. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
  7. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    I've personally tried a beige DVR-108JA with 1.20 firmware, and it burned a test disc fine. The model in my Humax is a black DVR-108RZ with 1.15 firmware. I also have a spare black DVR-108RZ with 1.15 firmware, that I bought with a non-functioning RS-TX20. I have a DVR-111D in my PC that I have not tested.

That should be enough spares. Between my sister and I we have 2 DRT-800s, neither has needed a replacement after 12 months knock on wood. Right now would be a good time to buy yourself a spare while they're still relatively easy to find.

I don't think there is any good way to flash 1.15 firmware onto these drive BTW.

8. Mickeygre

Mickeygre New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    This guy OP is not trying to be helpful. He is just trying to sell. I don't see any reason to trust or buy from this guy. Pioneer DVR-111 are available from many more reliable sources.

9. steeleno12

steeleno12 New Member

May 9, 2004
    So, again, I guess I need to ask, the newer Pioneer DVR-111D's that are being shipped with whatever firmware version comes with it will work?

From this thread at least, I see that someone has a DVR-111D in his PC but has not actually tested it and someone else has successfully replaced their drive with DVR-108JA and another has successfully used a DVR-A07.

The problem is that the DVR-A07 and the DVR-108JA drives cannot be found and no one has come forward to say that they have successfully used the DVR-111D.

Still trying to get some clarification and appreciate the responses from all of you.

10. Chester_Lampwick

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Look I could give this a try, but it'd be a big hassle. I'd have to take my TiVo offline and my PC at the same time.

Why don't you give this a try? It's not a big risk. Seriously, if it works - you win. If it doesn't work you'll have a great burner for your PC or a gift for a loved one - you win. It's a win-win proposition. I'm pretty confident it'd work, 3-1 for.

See ya,
    Roger

11. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    While they might be scarce, you could probably find the 107 or 108 lines on eBay

Something to keep in mind: depending on how they were sold (Retail vs. OEM) that "1" might be an "A"

DVR-A07 and DVR-107 are the same burner. One was sold via Retail, the other sold OEM (to companies building boxes, like Apple or Sony). If one works, 99% chance the other will work too.

12. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have used the DVR-111D without problems in any Humax with the TSN starting with 595.

13. steeleno12

steeleno12 New Member

May 9, 2004
    Aha!!! That is exactly what I was looking to hear from someone, first hand experience with using the DVR-111D.

Thank you to everyone once again. We now have enough information to base our purchase on.

14. steeleno12

steeleno12 New Member

May 9, 2004
    Wanted to post a follow up to my Humax DRT 800 burner replacement.

Since the Pioneer DVR A07, A08, 107, 108 burners are either not easily available or if found were outrageously expensive, my husband decided to try the Pioneer DVR-111D. We purchased it for around $34 from Newegg and installed it into the Humax. Was easy to install, fired it up, system found the drive with no problem.

Threw in a disc, selected 5 shows that I had recorded and started burning away. Yeah! It was working just fine. Except......yep, 67% of the way through, it failing burning the disc and threw the "internal error" message at me once again!

Frustrated I threw on another disc and this time only selected 1 show to burn. It completed just fine, replay was fine, it worked! I then selected another 3 shows and they also burned just fine. Finally I selected another 5 shows and it immediately stopped burning with the internal error message.

At that point the light came on in my head and I checked the 5 shows that I was trying to burn that had just failed. Sure enough, the very first show that I checked had a problem. It was a Season Pass show that I TiVo and when I went to view it, it showed that there was no video signal when it tried to record so there was nothing there.

I deleted that show and continued with the other 4 and voila! They burned flawlessly.

So.......I probably never needed to replace the burner in the first place but I did and that's okay because I have another Humax that had the burner crap out on me so I will put in the original burner that I took out of the other unit.

I am also going to buy a couple more Pioneer DVR-111D burners because they work and are inexpensive enough to keep on hand.
    :)
    A couple of great lessons learned from all of this:

There are inexpensive replacements that work and there is now another suggestion for people to try when troubleshooting the "internal error" message when recording.

15. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I think that's a good point that people overlook

If you try to burn a program that is messed up, it'll probably not work ;-}

Thanks for the update! Glad the 111 worked fine for you

16. Jobius

Jobius New Member

Oct 17, 2000
    Salvation...
    NewEgg isn't selling the 111D anymore, but they've got a 112D for about the same price. From what I've gleaned from other threads, this whole series from the 107/A07 and 108/A08 to the 111D have worked well as replacements. Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't try the 112D?

17. Chester_Lampwick

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Nope. There's no reason why you shouldn't try. Probably nobody knows for sure if it will work, unless they're a Pioneer or TiVo engineer. Testing the unit and reporting back here is the next best thing, so long as you understand the consequences.

18. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    The worst that can happen is, it doesn't work.
    You certainly wouldn't take advantage of the faster speeds... but, it should work.

I'd bet on it being OK. But, best to get it someplace with a good return policy just in case.

19. Optics

Optics New Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Laguna...
    I just got a 111D from shop4tech for $30 (Use Google Checkout Bonus and 10% code MB10 [Exp 3/7] ). Will try it out on one of the DRT800, but would also like to get the 112D since it's newer for the other DRT800.

20. TydalForce

TydalForce Active Member

Feb 8, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    I wouldn't expect a difference between the 111D and 112D within the Humax -- it'll record at the same speed no matter what drive you have, since it doesn't know it can go faster.

Let us know how it goes though if you get one!