Odds of TTG and Multi-Room functionality by end of lifetime transfer period

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by SpeedNut, Sep 18, 2006.

When will TTG and Multi-Room Viewing be added to the S3?

1. By end of October

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. By end of Year

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. 2007

31 vote(s)
    55.4%
  4. Never

18 vote(s)
    32.1%
  1. SpeedNut

SpeedNut New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    PA

Advertisements

I've been looking at the Series3, even with shortages everywhere, and it's feature set, and can't get over the fact that this new unit is missing two of the features I use / would use the most. I'm wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me, and have to weigh the option of getting an S3 now to lock in the transfer offer and pray that the features missing from the Series 3 today get done quickly, or hold out and possibly miss out on the transfer offer when they finally get these features working (if ever).

Any thoughts? I'd appreciate it as I've been in DVR hell for the past month with 3 separate systems and not 1 does everything I want.

Thanks!

2. Aiken

Aiken Blah, blah, blah.

Feb 17, 2003
    Redmond, WA
    Honestly, I wouldn't bet on it. We've heard bits and pieces about some 180-day evaluation period that the S3 is in at CableLabs, and nobody knows when it started/will end. Presumably, since CableLabs is sponsored by cable companies who can't possibly want TiVo to have more features, that time will have to run out before any decision is given. At that point, it's still pretty doubtful.

Given this mess and how I currently feel about TiVo, I'm wondering how Vista/MCE will look. I watched a demo video tonight. The interface looks nice, but it's hard to tell from an overcompressed YouTube video. It's a true HD DMR, though. Much more stuff than the S3 will probably do any time soon, given the resources MS can put behind Vista. On the other hand, I'm currently using software written by MS on my Comcast DVR, and it's horrible. It's definitely not the same interface, though.

At this point, I dunno.

3. sonicboom

sonicboom Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Boston
    Not going to happen (assuming they don't extend the transfer period).

4. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I voted "2007". I'm in the same boat - will wait as long as possible to buy, hoping that these issues will be resolved and the features added.

5. MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002

Advertisements

This means Series 3 will be like series 1.5 with HD. Haa haa

6. Lisa898

Lisa898 New Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Because I know nothing, are TTG and MRV a software thing or hardware thing?

When it does get approved, with those with S3 get it via software update, or would it require a new box?

7. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    As much as BTWYX draws similarities between HR10-250 and S3 behaviour, makes you wonder which code fork they used to develop the Series 3. Maybe it's a lot of work to roll back in TTG and MRV.

8. Aiken

Aiken Blah, blah, blah.

Feb 17, 2003
    Redmond, WA
    They used 7.2.x, I believe. I think they based it on the S2 DT software.

9. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Don't think so. The S2DT supports asymmetric tuning while the S3 does not. I wish it had been based on S2DT code base.

10. colleenp

colleenp New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    I agree, and am definitely in the same boat. TTG and MRV are the features I would want/use most. Right now I would not use the HD feature as much as those, but would want my lifetime subscription locked in for the future of HD. I am dismayed they are taking a step backward, and it is making me hope for another alternative. My fear is that the S3 will never have those features, under pressure from the movie industry.

11. Aiken

Aiken Blah, blah, blah.

Feb 17, 2003
    Redmond, WA
    Maybe so. I'm still pretty sure it's based on 7.2.x.

12. Shawn95GT

Shawn95GT Tivo, in HD!

Oct 7, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm hoping at a minimum we get MRV 'to' an S3 from an S2 and the ability to do Tivo Desktop to the S3.

Of course best case would be MRV / TTG etc as we know it now with the S2.

I'm hoping for at least inbound MRV by end of year

13. MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002
    The evil cable empire is controlling this forum. brwoo haaaa

14. SpeedNut

SpeedNut New Member

Dec 7, 2003
    PA
    I'm not sure about Vista functionality, but I know XP MCE doesn't support QAM HD tuners, only ATSC (Over-The-Air), but there's a hack to record HD over firewire from your cable box, but you can't watch live HD via Media Center with the hack.

I think whichever company gets everything in place with HD seamlessly first is going to be the big winner here.

15. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    I voted never, but you grouped the two features together. I think MRV will probably be approved, and sometime in 2007.

But I doubt TTG will ever materialize, especially not for HD content.

16. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Me too. I read on these boards that KidZone and undelete is coming to the S3 in November. That is a pretty good indicator.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4361589#post4361589

17. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    So the issue is for things like FIOS TV, where most of the channels are only available with a cable card or cable box, you can't record anything with a regular SA Tivo. And the S3 is too expensive to buy for a non-HD TV in the bedroom or guestroom.

So the ideal set up is to have a couple of Series 3's, and then MRV the SD content to SA Tivo's scattered throughout the house. The SA Tivo's don't even need a live TV connection, as they are really just clients of the S3's.

At least that's my desired set up. I can't imagine why they wouldn't allow MRV of at least SD content.

18. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Definitely not by October - there isn't an update planned that soon. I don't think there is any chance of seeing them this year - well, maybe a slim one - but I think we'll see something next year.

19. talmania

talmania New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    My thoughts exactly. Add to it the previous comment about Cablelabs not wanting to approve something that gives a distinct advantage to Tivo over their own DVR's and that sums up the situation for the immediate future IMO.