Odd TiVo Slide problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by chrisbac, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Apr 8, 2011 #1 of 11
    chrisbac

chrisbac Master of my domain

Feb 6, 2002
    Meriden, CT
    I have the TiVo Slide and it was working great. Then suddenly it stopped working. Strangely, the QWERTY keyboard part is working, but the main TiVo remote buttons do not seem to get through. Also, when I disconnect the BT receiver from the TiVO, the main buttons still seem to send the bluetooth signal. I thought the remote reverted to IR when the BT dongle was not connected. Does this mean the remote has become paired with some other device? I tried to "globally" reset the remote then repair it, but the pairing process does not really seem to follow what was described. When I put the remote in pairing mode, it comes off quickly without the dongle entering pairing mode. This seems wrong, but I cannot figure out what other device the remote may be pairing to.

Please help.
    Thanks
    Chris

2. Apr 8, 2011 #2 of 11
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Slide is partly Bluetooth and Part InfraRed. When you press a button, either the red or the blue lights up. The red is InfraRed function, and the blue is Bluetooth.

3. Apr 9, 2011 #3 of 11
    chrisbac

Feb 6, 2002
    Meriden, CT
    Yes, that is why I am confused. It ought to use the IR (red light) when the BT dongle is not connected (thus the remote is not connected via bluetooth) but is still lights blue. My understanding was that the main buttons could use either BT or IR, but the keyboard needed BT to work. Well the keyboard is working fine, but the main keys are not.

Any hints?

4. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I just unplugged the dongle on my Slide after reading your post and pressed a main button, it went right to IR mode (red light). Then I plugged the dongle back in and it went to BT mode (blue light), with the same button press.

5. chrisbac

Feb 6, 2002
    Meriden, CT
    Yes, and that was my experience until now. So it seems the remote it paired with something else (or the remote is just very confused, but I did globally reset it). Is it possible for the keyboard to be paired proper;y but no the TiVo buttons? The keyboard is working properly.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Is the warranty period over?
    Do you recall if the remote has been dropped?

I wonder if the connection between the base and slide has become severed.

7. chrisbac

Feb 6, 2002
    Meriden, CT
    Could be, but would the light on the slider still light if it got severed? Seems it would not get power. Or maybe not all the lines were severed.

8. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    My slide had a similar issue, and luckily it was within 90 days of purchase. I called Tivo and tried a couple of troubleshooting procedures, which didn't help anything. They sent me a replacement at no cost.

9. JeffRapp

JeffRapp New Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Nebraska
    I had the exact same problem. At first, resetting the remote would fix it, but it got progressively worse up to the point where it would no longer sync with the BT receiver. The blue light would just blink. Remove the batteries, let it set overnight, put them back in. Blink.

Ended up getting a warranty replacement from TiVo.

(p.s. they didn't ask for the original back, nor did they ask for a receipt. just sayin' ;) )

10. aprigliano

aprigliano New Member

May 6, 2010
    I have posted what the problem probably is a possible fix on this thread...

showthread.php?t=470600

Hope this helps!

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    This new user is a keeper, but since they don't have enough posts for links to work (anti-spam feature), here's a link directly to their excellent post.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9147977#post9147977