Odd issue with Tivo remote

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by lillevig, Oct 29, 2011.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I was dinking around with some spare Tivo remotes and found one that apparently doesn't like to put out the correct code for one of my TVs. It does put out the proper code for another TV so I know it sort of works. It's not a problem with the number keys and I've verified that the red light on the remote blinks with each key press. What does appear to be different is that the "good" code will cause the red light to slowly blink several times after the last number is entered but the "bad" code causes the red light to just go out. Anybody ever seen this type of behavior?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I've seen that kind of response on universal remotes in general when entering a code number not in its database.

The blinking is an acknowledgement of success, anything else is you used up all 3 or 4 numbers you were eligible to enter, but they weren't a recognized pattern.

Perhaps that particular remote is older than the others and that code wasn't added to the database until after it was manufactured.

3. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Yeah, I kind of figured that maybe it's not recognizing the pattern but that code is in the database of the Philips Series 1 I checked. The remote is also a Philips branded one that does look slightly older than the other Philips remote I still have. The non-working one has the rubbery Tivo button instead of the hard plastic one like the other remote.

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is it non-working, or just working except for that particular TV code?

Is it a Series 1, no 1-2 switch, model?

5. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Works on everything else, as far as I can tell. Hasn't really been worn out even though it's a S1 peanut model (branded Philips). It originally came with one of the four S1 Phillips I've owned. It's a cold day here so I guess it's a sad comment on my limited options for useful activities that I'm worried about this. :D

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Be careful, an interesting life isn't necessarily a pleasant one.

7. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The IR databases for Series 1s are still being updated but that doesn't affect the remote, which will only know the codes it was built with.

8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Older Tivo remotes have different firmware, 90% of the time it doesn't matter but every now and then it will.

I have a Pioneer TV and a Panasonic VCD/DVD combo on the rack, and the Panasonic goes on with every S3 and older remote when I use the Pioneer TV codes to turn the TV on and off, on newer Premiere remotes the Panasonic doesn't do it, so the code sent by the remotes is different.