Odd issue with SDV channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ahwman, Jul 27, 2019.

1. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013

Advertisements

Within the last several months (which seems to coincide with my cable company making the all digital switch), I’ve had odd issues with SDV channels. An example would be tuning an SDV channel, then watching a recorded program for approximately 2-3 minutes. After returning to live TV, the previously tuned SDV channel shows “There is a problem with the signal on this channel”. The really odd part is that when I re-tune the offending SDV channel, the channel frequency is different. Is it possible that for some reason the SDV server at the head end is changing frequencies more often than normal and TiVo isn’t aware and therefore trying to tune to a non existent channel frequency?

I have an open case with TiVo which has was escalated over a month ago and I’m just not sure how to proceed at this point, as it’s clear that this isn’t an equipment issue but either an issue with how SDV is being implemented by my cable company or a TiVo software issue/bug...

My cable company is Spectrum in Richmond, KY

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I've had Spectrum (formerly TWC) with SDV (i.e., requiring a Tuning Adapter [TA]) for ten years now in the Dayton OH area. They have never achieved totally flawless SDV performance during that period. At its best it works OK for a month or so then the TA must be power-cycled and the USB connector must be cycled, and sometimes the Tivo must be restarted too. (I'm assuming you have a TA connected -- absolutely necessary to get SDV channels and should be furnished free by Spectrum.)

The SDV system, even when operated correctly, is allowed to drop the frequency of a channel if it decides you aren't watching or recording that channel. This happens on my system but after something like a half hour, not just a few minutes. Also the message when this happens on my system is something like "this channel is temporarily unavailable, press select to re-tune" (approximate wording from memory). And if you press select and wait a few seconds and press select again it usually will retune the channel. The SDV system by the very nature of its operation can assign a different frequency to the channel when it is re-tuned. This SDV channel-dropping behavior became a lot more frequent after Spectrum took over my TWC system.

You may have problems with signal levels in the OOB (out-of-band) control signals that are dedicated to communication between the TA and the cable system. In TA diagnostics, Status Summary .... Next Page, what are the dBmv values of FDC and RDC? FDC should be between -5 and +5 and RDC should be between 30 and 50.

Good luck with Spectrum -- this forum is filled with TA-related Spectrum horror stories. One key tip is: request that support transfer you to the national CableCARD help desk (in Buffalo, NY). They actually have a clue about TiVo's, CableCARD's and TA's, while local support may not even know what those things are.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    krkaufman and kpeters59 like this.
  3. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013

Thanks for your suggestions and insights. That said, I wasn't able to find the specific TA diagnostics you spoke of. I went though each menu but didn’t specifically see FDC and RDC levels. Perhaps they are referred to differently on my particular TA (Motorola)?

4. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    That's probably the case. Most Spectrum systems use Cisco TA's but some apparently use Motorola's. I can't help you with diagnostics on the Motorola but I'm sure another forum member can.

In any case, the issues you have are not acceptable and Spectrum is responsible for fixing them. The odds that this is a TiVo problem are miniscule.

5. ahwman

ahwman Member

Jan 24, 2013

Advertisements

Thanks so much for all of your help, I am truly grateful! I agree that this is most likely a spectrum issue. I just got off the phone with cable card support and set up a call with maintenance in the hopes that I can escalate this to the head end to take a closer look at it.

6. percentage

percentage New Member

Feb 19, 2003
    Reno, Nevada
    I am having the same issue with Charter/Spectrum which I believe is related to the way that the Tivo Bolt uses the Tuning Adapter (Motorola MTR700) to enable Switched Digital Video (SDV) channels. It started a few months ago so Spectrum must have changed something in the way they control the SDV channels

The Tivo has four channels. I frequently watch two (or more) channels at the same time, switching between them during commercials.

The issue I have is that sometimes when I switch back to a channel that I have not viewed for a few minutes, I get the "This channel is temporarily unavailable." message. If I reselect the channel it comes right back, but the recording on that channel is lost.

After much research, I discovered (looking at the Tuning Adapter diagnostics screen) that if I am not actively watching the channel, the channel feed is deactivated by the SDV controller after about two minutes. However, if I am watching that channel on another receiver this does not happen. Also, once in a while I will get this message on a channel I am watching if it has been on for a while. This does not happen if I am recording the channel I am not watching.
    While this is more of a Spectrum issue, I believe that it might be possible that Tivo could prevent this by changing the way it uses the Tuning Adapter.

I don't know the details, but apparently Tivo sends a signal to the SDV controller that it is either actively watching a channel, or that it is recording a channel. It does not seem to do this for the unviewed channels that are not being "fully recorded", even though it is saving the most recent 30 minutes on those channels.

Charter/Spectrum could (sort of) fix this by changing the SDV timeout to 30 minutes or more, but I would really like to be able to see the previous 30 minutes on all the Tivo channels even though I have not been recently "actively" watching them.

I think that Tivo should tell the SDV controller that it is "recording" or actively viewing all its channels so that the SDV controller does not deallocate them.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Hard to say for sure whether either TiVo or Spectrum could fix this but AFAIK this behavior is allowable on an SDV system. Most systems wait longer than 2 minutes to drop an unwatched/nonrecording channel but it depends on how many SDV channels they’re squeezing into a limited bandwidth. I’m afraid you’re whistling into the wind on this one.