Odd Grey Pop-Up on TE4

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kpeters59, Jan 11, 2019.

1. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    At 2 different locations this week, one with a Roamio and one with a Bolt, both running TE4, there was a grey bar popped up at the bottom of the screen.

Roamio:

IMG_2906.jpg

Bolt:

IMG_2911.jpg

I could clear it with the Clear button, but it would come right back.

I believe that at both locations, the Foreground Tuners were behind live, I think in the buffer of the previous Recording and the next show was recording (not 100% on that).

The only way I was able to clear it permanently was to swap tuners and then go back. But then the show I was watching lost its location.

If I pressed the Play Button, the Green Progress Bar would pop up above the grey bar.

Oh yeah, the indicated show was the next show, not the show that was on.

Anybody else ever seen it? Does it have a purpose or 'name'?

I don't use TE4 in my day-to-day...

-KP

2. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    When a live program change occurs even if behind in the buffer, the new program banner appears briefly. I assume that is what is going on here. You cropped off the current time on the right.

3. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Yeah...except the pop-up never goes away.

And, if I 'Clear' it, it comes right back.

I suspect that other people are having this too, but since it's a bit subtle, they don't realize it and it clears when the show transitions to the following program.

I really just took a picture at the 1st location after I'd realized from a few days before I'd cleared it before 'documenting' it. Then, when it occurred at the 2nd location, I wanted a picture of it, too.

I'm not sure what additional information the time would have provided? For sure, I was watching the Buffer of a Recording and when I noticed the 'condition', the subsequent Recording was underway. There is a possibility that the TiVo was on to the 2nd show after the Recording I was viewing.

Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure the TiVo interface ought not be intruding in to the show like that.

-KP

4. JSearfoss

JSearfoss Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Wellsboro, PA
    I have seen this a few times on my Bolt. I am pretty sure I pressed the Back button and it went away. I agree it should not be doing this. I just figured it was a bug in the new interface and hopefully a update will eventually fix it.

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The time would have told me if it was what I was suggesting. But it should go away within seconds.

Did you try a restart?

6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    It was well behind in the buffer. It wasn't the 'show change' on the hour.

It's a pop-up that won't clear on it's own. Even after 20 minutes or more.

As I said in the OP, switching tuners cleared it, but then I lost my place in the previous recording buffer.

It's clearly (to me anyway) a bug.

-KP

7. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Let’s try this once again.

You are watching a show in the buffer. It is 8:00 pm and a new show is coming on the channel you are watching. You are at 7:37 pm in the buffer. At 8:00 pm real time, a banner pops up to tell you the new show has started.

That is what I meant.

That it got stuck is the issue. Not it popping up. That is what it does.

Did you try a restart because restarts often fix little funky issues like the banner not disappearing when it is supposed to.

And, if you hit pause before you switch buffers, you won’t lose your place.

8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    No, if the recording buffer you're watching completes, then if you were to change tuners, you lose your place in the (now) 'stale' buffer. You'd have to begin watching again from the recorded shows.

You're saying that's the 'change of shows' banner? I don't use TE4 in my day-to-day, so am not as familiar with it as TE3.

Whatever it is, it ought not stay popped up eternally.

No, I didn't reboot TiVo's at 2 different installations when I've already cleared the issue (which they likely never noticed).

-KP

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. MonitorMan

MonitorMan New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    Indio CA
    Just had this happen tonight. I was watching a live channel which ran into a recording program and the banner came up. I got rid of it by pressing pause and then play.

kpeters59 likes this.
  10. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Did you see the same behavior of the Clear Button not being able to keep the bar from popping back up?

I can't remember if I tried that or not. It seems like I would have.

-KP