NYC Spectrum - Tuning Adapter nerfed

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by threephi, Dec 7, 2019.

1. Dec 7, 2019 #1 of 57
    threephi

threephi Member

Jan 16, 2002
    NYC
    Long-time TiVo user and NYC (Manhattan) cable subscriber here--

Spectrum did something this past Thursday, December 5, which rendered my tuning adapter non-functional. The tuning adapter perpetually resets without ever being recognized by my Bolt. Did all the rebooting and cable-checking of everything in the signal path from stem to stern, including swapping out the TA (cisco STA1520). Long story short, the problem is not with my equipment. The Spectrum reps on the phone confirmed there was an open ticket (meaning more than 5 customers have reported the same problem in the same day) but no-one could confirm what was being done or when it would be resolved.

I had an interesting exchange with one of the Spectrum phone reps I spoke to, who flat-out said that Spectrum had no plans to fix the issue since (paraphrase but this is a fair representation of what he said) "cable cards are obsolete and being phased out, and anyway why would we support devices that are competitors when you can buy our equipment". The guy admitted he was only a sales rep and could not speak to that officially but I found his comment extremely concerning. If that represents any kind of corporate policy or general attitude at Spectrum, this is a problem.

I'd love to hear if others are experiencing the same issue, especially other NYC users.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  2. Dec 7, 2019 #2 of 57
    JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    I am in a different market, middle TN, but I had a Spectrum technician at my house this past week and he basically said the same thing to me. He too said this is old technology that they are phasing out. He said it is getting very difficult in this area to obtain cable cards and tuning adapters and that it would probably take me weeks to get them for a refurbished TiVo device I just bought during the Black Friday sale.

3. Dec 7, 2019 #3 of 57
    2012Bearcat

2012Bearcat New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Cincinnati OH
    I really hope this is just the ramblings of a couple Spectrum employees who don't know what they're talking about.

sharkster likes this.
  4. Dec 7, 2019 #4 of 57
    JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    I also just recently began having problems with “new” (likely used that someone turned in) tuning adapters I received from Spectrum in the upstate SC area. One of them I could never get my Bolt to recognize and another one keeps losing its authorization and I have to unplug and restart it. I haven’t been able to get a replacement thus far. The store doesn’t carry them and the sales area is not able to ship one to me. Most conversations I have with the reps either in the store or on the phone is that this is old technology that they are phasing out and at some point will no longer support. I am worried that at some point the TAs that I have that do work will stop working like yours did.

5. Dec 7, 2019 #5 of 57
    threephi

threephi Member

Jan 16, 2002
    NYC
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the FCC require support for cable card devices? I've had a hard time finding anything online which is up to date on that question.

6. Dec 7, 2019 #6 of 57
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Yes, cable card support still requi9red.

I've been having some issue with one of my TAs. I have it on a clock timer to reboot once a week. Intermittently it is not properly rebooting and I have to manually reboot a time or two to get it working.

7. Dec 7, 2019 #7 of 57
    threephi

threephi Member

Jan 16, 2002
    NYC
    FWIW the problem wasn't with my TA--I swapped it out with a "new" one (same model, manufactured 2014 vs 2010) from Spectrum

8. Dec 7, 2019 #8 of 57
    threephi

threephi Member

Jan 16, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks UCLABB, do you have a link to the current rules on that point? Everything I've found online is five or six years old, and from what I can gather there have been some changes recently.

I also want to note that my problem is different from the usual periodic TA reset, which we've all probably had to deal with for years--rebooting does not solve the problem.

9. Dec 7, 2019 #9 of 57
    2012Bearcat

2012Bearcat New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Cincinnati OH
    Maybe we'll get lucky and Spectrum will upgrade their channel lineup and system so SDV is no longer required... a guy can hope, right?

10. JKR123

JKR123 Member

Feb 10, 2019
    I also had a recent disconcerting conversation with one of my local network affiliates. I am having a problem with closed captions on one of my channels and this issue is not present on the TV with a Spectrum box, just with the TVs with TiVos. He told me not to expect that it would ever be fixed because if it really was Spectrum’s issue, they would have no incentive to fix it since it was dealing with a competitor’s DVR.

I know that all of this is supposed to be governed and mandated by the FCC, but will they really force Spectrum to fix issues that are specific to TiVo units working properly?

11. 2012Bearcat

2012Bearcat New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Cincinnati OH
    A quick search - the only thing I can find is in regards to the original CableCARD and Switched Digital rules put in place by the FCC some 8 or 9 years ago. In that ruling, they specifically state that Cable Operators must make Switched Digital accessible to 3rd party box.
    I interpret that to say - If you're a cable operator who uses SDV, then you must provide a way for 3rd party boxes to access SDV channels. A quote from this (old) article: https://www.multichannel.com/news/fcc-tweaks-cablecard-rules-295778

“Accordingly, we amend the rule to
    clarify that cable operators that are subject
    to our CableCard support rules are required
    to provide CableCard-reliant navigation devices
    with satisfactory access to switcheddigital
    programming.”

12. Ambimom

Ambimom New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    OMG, Same thing happened to me! I'm in North Jersey. I've had technician out here twice. I knew I wasn't the only one this has happened to. Spectrum's given up until next Tuesday when they are sending someone else out here. What are we going to do?

13. Ambimom

Ambimom New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    Any lawyers among us? This would be a nifty class action. I'd also suggest posting this on social media. That gets attention!

14. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I was told the same thing over 10 years ago (by Time Warner before it became Spectrum here). They’ll say anything to get you to choose their box instead. I’m sure it works with most people. Worst case scenario for them is that we complain to the FCC and then they’re forced to comply, but there’s no deterrent for them to not try again with the next person.

15. Ambimom

Ambimom New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    realityboy likes this.
  16. BrooklynGirl

BrooklynGirl New Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I have Spectrum in Brooklyn NY. I'm getting my edge today because my bolt vox broke. The tunning adapter( sta1520) has been sitting idle unattached to a tivo with a steady light up until two days ago. Since then it's blinking stays steady for a couple of seconds and then starts blinking again. I just figured since it's been unattached to a tivo for a while maybe it just lost authorization. Something that when I call to activate the cable card today would be an easy fix. Now I'm worried I'm gonna have the issue you have.

17. Ambimom

Ambimom New Member

Apr 10, 2003
    That's it @BrooklynGirl It will blink forever. You will call Spectrum. They will send techs to your home. They will spend hours on their hands and knees and find nothing amiss but not able to get it to connect. They will come back with new TA and still it won't connect.

File a complaint with the FCC. I just did. I also have a Twitter poll to find us all. @Ambimom I'm hoping there's a lawyer among us who will file a class action.

18. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I’m about to switch to Spectrum on Monday so I’m very concerned about this. I’m following this and the Twitter thread closely.

I know having to use a TA is a headache but their service line saying they won’t fix it takes their sleazeball tactics to another level. Yeah an FCC complaint may fix it but that’s a pain in and of itself and shouldn’t be necessary every time a customer has an issue with their cable cards and/or tuning adapters.

19. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I am so happy I cut my Spectrum cable tv on 22 Nov. 2019 and turned in my CableCARD and TA. I had the TA for 10 years and have followed the thousands of TA-related sad stories on this forum all that time. There are a number of people with Cisco TA's (STA1520) who put them on lamp timers to reboot them every day, or in some cases every week. Although there are anecdotal exceptions, Spectrum typically has always been clueless about TA's and whatever the FCC has done has never changed this. Earlier this year I called Spectrum's national CableCARD support desk (which knows more than most local support) and they concluded I needed to replace my TA. A service call was scheduled for this and when the tech showed up he not only did not have a TA but didn't even know what one is. He made a quick call and then said the TA was obsolete equipment and "we don't stock them". (But there will be a $100+ unreturned equipment charge if you don't turn it in.) By that time my problem had disappeared so I knew the TA didn't need replaced anyway.

I was able to survive with my TA, power-cycling it about once a month, and I wish you folks the best of luck, but I don't think there's a bright future for TA's. I see more and more posts of people having trouble getting them, and lately more and more posts of people having them quit and power-cycling not being the fix anymore.

20. BrooklynGirl

BrooklynGirl New Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Damn my new tivo just arrived. Now I'm unsure about whether or not I should even bother to set it up. I don't want to play the game of them sending a tech out for no reason. I think I'm gonna keep it in the box and pay close attention to this thread. If they don't fix the issue within best buy return window I think I'm gonna return the tivo.

Verizon is coming to my building. My address now has Fios is coming! (expected in a few weeks) when I looked it up. I just don't know how long away it will be. That expected in a few weeks has been there for a while.