Nurse Jackie series finale *spoilers* - S7E12 - "I say a little prayer"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by unixadm, Jun 29, 2015.

1. unixadm

unixadm Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Georgia, USA

Advertisements

I thought it was a great season, but disappointed in the finale a bit. I hate when they "leave things up for interpretation".

Of course a happily ever after wouldn't be in line with the way the series has gone, but if they are going to have her OD at the end, then have some closure...have her connected to monitors and flatline,, then fade to black.

First few seasons were fantastic with 4,5&6 pretty bad....they really came back in this season for the finale though. Loved Tony Shaloub's character...great addition to the cast...wish he had been on the last few seasons.

Enjoyed it overall and knew it was time to phase it out. Just wish they hadn't done an almost Soprano's ending, leaving the audience guessing

2. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I thought it was a very appropriate ending.
    Honestly, it doesn't matter if she recovers or she doesn't, so I don't feel like anything was left up in the air.

On the other hand - I doubt she would have snorted unknown heroin from an unknown source and not in such large quantities. That seemed contrived.

3. leeherman

leeherman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'm with you, unixadm, I don't like endings that leave it up to the interpretation of the viewer, so I was a little disappointed too. Of course, Edie Falco was involved in another somewhat controversial series ending too...

That said, I wasn't expecting a happy ending, and Jackie Peyton's death by OD (if that's how you interpret the ending) is deserved but unfortunate.

It was never my must watch first show, but I will miss it.

LH

4. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    It made sense to me. She pretty much lost her family. Her best friend (Eve best) walks away again. Zoey says she want to move on without her. Her husband to be is now going to jail for a year. And finally her job is toast and she is going to work at a new place where she probably does not know anybody.

I can see all that being a trigger for a big relapse. She may not have expected to kill her self but she had no idea what was in his drugs or how tainted they were. She just needed a high to escape the pain. I believe as a reflection of real life it was an OD.

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

Even worse; she's not going to get her new job, either, because that's where they were going to send her for the OD.

I agree, this ending was completely satisfying to me; alive or dead her life is over! And for all "Nurse Jackie" fans that thought this show was unrealistic, you're adorable and I envy you all.

6. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    They said from the beginning that Nurse Jackie was going to show the real effects of addiction.

It's rare to have a happy ending.

7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    lol!

8. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    agree with this 100%.

It got me thinking how I watched 95% of Rescue Me, but never finished. I suppose I should watch the last episode at least. But quitting a show is not something I do very often. So I'm glad Nurse Jackie ended. It had already gotten repetitious. And agreed about seasons 4,5,6 being pretty bad and Tony Shaloub being a nice addition.

Eddie is a dope.

I wonder if they leave it vague for a possible movie down the line. I could see, even if it's a remote possibility, wanting to keep that option.

9. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    Dropped this show after season 4 (just horrible, imo). Glad to see they wrapped it up this way, maybe I will catch the final season in the future to catch her downfall.

10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Hated the ending!!! Did they not know it was the final season? Seemed like the type of cliff hanger they normally use for a season finale not a series finale.

Oh well this season pretty much sucked anyway, so I'm glad it's done.

11. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
  12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Why do show writers/producers/whatever want to leave finales "open to interpretation"? Some of the best finales I've ever seen not only wrap up the current season but also do some flash forwards to show where the characters end up. The show is ending, we want closure not more questions!

13. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm with you there. I'm fairly bright, but I'm not getting paid the big bucks to write the show. I am only paying for cable tv, so I expect things to end up with some level of completion, given the opportunity.

I didn't expect or want a 'happily ever after' ending either. That would be juvenile and ridiculous.

So I guess it's 'maybe she died and maybe she didn't', meanwhile everybody else went on to whatever they went on to. ok, whatever.

Too bad they didn't snag Shalhoub much earlier on, though. :)

14. tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    Seemed like suicide to me.

My interpretation, based on the camera rising during the last shot, is that she's dead. As someone said though, either way her life is over.

15. tiellv

tiellv Pluviophile

Nov 11, 2002
    Oregon
    I spent the last week watching this show from start to finish. What a depressing show overall :(

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah every time you thought she was going to get clean, she fell off the wagon and just f*cked up her life a little more.