Nurse Jackie season finale 6/20/11 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Neenahboy, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    What a pile of crap. Yet again, the show dances around an issue that should have been on a road to resolution in S2E1. Everything's on the brink of collapse, and Jackie manages to extricate herself yet again by kicking Kevin out? Are you f**king kidding me?

I can understand Akalitis' incentive for not delivering the urine test to HR, and maybe even O'Hara's: the former doesn't want to lose her best nurse, and the latter doesn't want to lose her best friend to a rehab system she believes to be wholly ineffective. Fine. But Kevin has absolutely no excuse for looking the other way the past two years, and it's insulting to the viewers' intelligence when he continually does so. She isn't even that smooth of a talker; each word out of her mouth reeks of an addict.

This is a show that either can't or doesn't want to change. S4 will no doubt start with a clean slate, it will devolve into a web of lies and deception...later, rinse, repeat. The show can't continue to subsist on tenuous B-plots involving a doctor's grief over a lesbian divorce and a hospital administrator's affection for some religious statues. It's ridiculous, and until the writers start challenging themselves by tackling her addiction and the idea of consequences head on, I'm done.

2. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    um. i quite enjoy it for what it is.

3. crazywater

crazywater USS TiVo NCC-1780

Mar 7, 2001
    USA
    I've got to agree with the OP, this show is on the verge of being removed from my SP. The only hope we have is that Eddie will rat-out Jackie to Kevin because he likes him too much to let him blame himself for the collapse of his marriage and he himself was deceived by Jackie and this will be his revenge on her. I don't like the way they glorify bad behavior with Jackie's lying and the new male nurse and his lying. The scene where they go out for a drink and he confesses to her stealing the patches and lying about Haiti and its all just a big joke was just disgusting.

4. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    OK off work and off a deadline and now I can respond -

I don't see what the hate is about

The show is incredibly well written and incredibly well acted and has a great supporting cast of actors - the entire ensemble at the hospital are excellent.

I thoroughly enjoyed the season and found a number of twists that I didn't see coming including Jackie portending or not to try to quit her drug use, the one black nurse confessing he also has a drug problem, and culminating that they pretty much led us along the path that Jackie's husband was going to dump her

the twist that HE had an affair -
    I thought was brilliant and even beyond that - ironic and ridiculous that she would kick him out over it.

it's one of my favorites on TV right now.

5. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm a bit sick of this show myself.

6. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    I thought the season went absolutely nowhere. I kept waiting for it to pick up. It never did.

7. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    me too, but it was enjoyable enough to keep watching each week, but the season wasn't nearly as good as the first, imo

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I found it pretty bizarre that they would kill off the dealer/sponsor. It seemed like he was going to play some big role between her and the drugs and then they just killed him and it was done.

9. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Well, I think the death of the sponsor guy is what made it possible for Jackie to try to stay of the pills (at least for a little while). If the sponsor guy was still around, it would be too easy for her to just go back to him again and again.

My question about the finale was regarding Jackie's reaction to Kevin's affair. She was obviously relieved that he didn't know about her own affair, but did she kick him out because she was really that upset with him or did she do it because that's what she's "supposed" to do and she was playing the part so that he wouldn't suspect her own actions?

10. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    :up::up::up:

I bailed last season when it started with her 'justifying' that her drug purchases were really OTC items (shown taken from the bathroom). Really?

11. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    It is classic "Short term thinking" -- something many junkies do way too much of. By telling Kevin to get out she gains a short term advantage over him, she can keep him "on his heels" which enables her to score her next fix. The better play would be to "forgive but not forget" especially since Eddie could rat her out, but she is thinking short term.

What I like about this show is that it doesn't "sugar coat" the addiction/recovery journey, we see Jackie try (and fail) to cope and how she takes advantage of everyone around her (I know, if she were ever to "get clean" the series would be over). She hasn't hit "rock bottom" yet.

12. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    I think definitely the latter. So she can forgive him later.

13. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    And non-junkies don't? I don't see any reason to assume that Jackie's actions in this case are in any way related to drugs---they seem to be more about keeping her own infidelity secret.

14. johns70

johns70 Registered Offender

Mar 31, 2010
    I'm not going to watch it anymore. I liked the side plots with Zoey, Thor, Jackie's hot doctor friend.
    Not so much Coop, or Eddie, both are dorks.

Jackie is such a b*tch !!
    Doing drugs, banging Eddie the dork, lying to her husband, and everyone else. Acts like a saint once in a while at the hospital when she illegally puts doner on some dead guy's drivers license, or helps her old friend kill herself in the hospital with the hospital drugs. She's nice to her kids.. awwww.. how sweet, and she's also lying to them, steals her kid's prescription medication, great mom.

Her hot friend should have moved to another hospital and never looked back, don't get why she's friends with her again. No one else in her entire life ?

The thing with the statues was stupid. I want my statues back !! Blah, Blah, Blah....
    :rolleyes: Nothing better for her to do with her time ?
    What's with Akalitis trying to help out the fat kids ? Great role model.

Her husband should have divorced her long ago and taken the kids with if he wasn't so stupid to have not noticed all the sh*it she does. I'm glad he had an affair, go for it, I hope he was banging Jackie's hot doctor friend. That would be awesome.

15. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    with her lesbian lover in a 3some? i might watch closer if that's the case :)