1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Number of Streams

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by DigitalDawn, Jun 16, 2017.

1. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    We all know that you can connect up to 10 minis to a Roamio DVR. I've always been under the impression that you can have 7 minis streaming from the main DVR simultaneously. This could be a combination of live TV and recorded content.

Anyone have the definitive answer on this?

2. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    Anyone?

3. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Is it 10 minis to a Roamio or 10 TiVo TSNs per account (where Roamio Plus/Pro count as 2 TSNs because of stream module)?

It probably depends on whether you are connecting by ethernet or MoCA. MoCA tivo custom installer document says limit to 5. Weaknees says you can connect 8. That seems suspicially similar to the Roamio 2 TSN + 8 mini TSN on your account.

I think when I tested file transfers I was seeing something like 200Mbps on ethernet so i think it can probably handle 8, based on 20Mbps/channel rough guideline and some extra headroom researved for smooth performance.

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Tivo has a 12-device account limit (changed from 10 at some point), but this is separate from streaming limits.

I don't think there's an official limit on the number of simultaneous streams (except for live TV which are tuner-limited), but I recall somewhere around 7 or 8 was where things started testing the stability limits of the DVR, based on the forum's anecdotal testing. This also included simultaneous transfers between DVRs.

5. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    Thanks guys. I think I would be most safe specifying 6 to my clients then.

6. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    I think the DVR reserves one tuner for itself, so the limit on live TV streams is 1 less than the number of tuners.

7. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    Thanks folks.

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I hit 8 streams of a recording just now (16.36GB, 4h27m recording), streamed by a Roamio Pro connected via Gigabit Ethernet. Unfortunately, I'm having issues with my KMTTG install and so wasn't able to identify my highest bandwidth recording. I'll post back if I can get KMTTG working.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That recording comes out to 8.36Mbps. I wish I had that bit rate.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I was assuming a high teens bitrate when I began setting-up the simultaneous streaming sessions, since it was the Super Bowl. I was disappointed after doing the math (8 streams of 8.37 Mbps isn't much of a network strain)... at which point I hit my KMTTG speed bump.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    IIRC the Bolt and Roamio have no limit. The Premiere I believe has a hard limit of 4 streams because it's hardware is too slow to do any more then that.

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I just checked. My CNN rate is over 16Mbps. I always confuse the number I get from 1 HD hour and bit rate. Mind is going.

size (GB) * 8192 / length (minutes) / 60 = Mbps.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Found a basketball game recorded off ESPN2 with a bitrate of 17+Mbps. I'll give the simultaneous streams test another try Weds morning. Users would prefer I don't interrupt their evening viewing, and that'll give me time to return another Mini to the network.