number of files limit?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by three=eight, Jan 1, 2006.

1. three=eight

three=eight New Member

Jun 1, 2003
    at home
    Let me start by saying I have a problem...

I have archived all of my music on my PC and have aroung 130 gigs or 22,000 songs, (like I said, I have a problem).

My problem is that my tvivo always reports "a problem" when trying to access music. It lets me browse deep into the files before reporting the "problem". I have the songs broken up into several layers of folders. Is there a limit on the number of songs the tivo desktop will accomodate?

2. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Interesting. I have a significant number of songs (about 40-50 gigs last I looked) but my folder structure is not deep (artist, album, song, and in a few rare cases Genre-artist-album-song). Just out of curiousity, how many folders are we talking about here, and what is the max depth?

I'm sure you have thought of the obvious workaround which would be to chop it up by genre and put each genre on a separate server, or switch the top level folder genre when you are in different moods.

I'll take a look at the capacity on my server after I have my morning constitutional. Rough night last night.

3. hitech_rednek

hitech_rednek Extreme Tech Weenie

Apr 30, 2005
    Eastern PA
    Amazing :p First - I don't see any problem with the amount of songs in general. I just checked and I'm at about 95 Gigs (if I include my teenagers' stuff)....so don't sweat it ;)

As far as TiVo Desktop goes, I haven't tried publishing much music on there at once and I doubt that I ever will. Partly because the only time I can really take the time to listen to more than a couple songs is when I'm actually *at* my computer, after everyone else goes to bed :rolleyes: or on the go when I use my Archos 20GB MP3 player.

I will say this, I've tried publishing moderate amounts of digital photos and Desktop seems to choke on those. I have a GB of RAM and it still says "insufficient memory for operation* or something like that. So I'm suspecting a little shoddy programming in Desktop - maybe they have locked down some limits (number of files, number of sub-folders, etc.) instead of allowing for some dynamic adjustments.

:cool: Happy New Year - I just got up a while ago and I really wish I HAD enjoyed myself enough to feel as bad as I do right now.... :eek: :(

4. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    Dang. Sorry I forgot to list my info as promised. My constitutional apparently did not work too awfully well.

As I remarked earlier, I have published my entire Library and have not run into your bug. My Music folder is somewhat flat as I have described.

Stats as reported by Windows:
    51GB
    15,735 MP3s
    4,443 folders