NTL Samsung Box - IR control

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Pete_h, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Pete_h

Pete_h New Member

Apr 22, 2002

Advertisements

Hi all,
    Have just had NTL installed and have got a nice shiny silver Samsung set top box. Having abit of trouble with the Tivo IR control of it though.
    Tivoportal suggests Pace4000 codes (I'm in an ex C&W area) with Enter set to ON.
    20043, 20025, 20023 and 20020 all had trouble with three digit channel numbers where the second and third numbers are the same. Only one of the numbers seemed to take effect. eg.922 becomes 92.
    In the end I found that 20042 Medium seemed to work. Although now I'm suffering bad changes when Tivo is changing channel to record something, so I'm sure it's not quite right.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Pete.

2. GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Did you retry the other codes suggested at TiVoPortal with a slower speed (to see if this cures 3 digit channels with the same consecutive digits)?

3. Pete_h

Pete_h New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Hi Gary,
    The slow options result in the set-top box changing channel too early. ie. it changes to the first digit before the others have been output by Tivo.

For the medium speeds where I get the consecutive digit problem, it almost seems to me as though the third digit doesn't get sent at all - a light on the box flashes when it receives an IR command. For consecutive digit channels it flashes for the first 2 digits, then there's a short pause (expecting 3rd digit to be sent) and then there's a flash for the enter command. For other channels, there's the correct number of flashes.

Thanks,

Pete.

4. blokedownthepub

blokedownthepub New Member

May 23, 2002
    Hampshire
    The Samsung box uses the same remote as the Langley 4001 and 4010 boxes, have you tried the codes recomended for the Langley boxes?

5. Pete_h

Pete_h New Member

Apr 22, 2002

Advertisements

Yes - the 20042 Medium code I have been using is the one for the Langley Pace boxes. It works fine when doing manual channel changes (or 99% of the time anyway).

It seems to be when Tivo does a channel change that it becomes less reliable. I'm using the IR wand and not the front blaster.

I'll try a restart of both Tivo and set-top box. I'll also try positioning the IR wand slightly differently. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Pete.

6. Aug 3, 2004 #6 of 70
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Code 20045 will be available under the SAMSUNG brand in Wed mornings download. This should provide better compatibility for SAMSUNG boxes with the new NTL software (blue rather than pink menus).

7. Aug 6, 2004 #7 of 70
    masher

masher New Member

May 23, 2002
    I've just tried the new code, but with little joy, I'm afraid. I tried all three speeds, I tried using one wand then both, I've positioned them all over the front display to find optimum position, I tried rebooting the stb. It's very flaky. Sometimes the code goes through fine, sometimes just a digit or two and sometimes nothing at all. Could it be my stb? Works fine with the standard ntl remote.

8. Aug 6, 2004 #8 of 70
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Is the box model SMT-2100C?

I have one here in front of me and the codes work fine in my region.

9. Aug 6, 2004 #9 of 70
    GarySargent

GarySargent New Member

Oct 27, 2000
    W. Yorks, UK
    Ooops forgot - you need to have the channel bar mini guide turned OFF or these codes won't work ;)

10. masher

masher New Member

May 23, 2002
    Oops, I'd like to retract my last reply. Further investigation did indeed show that the mini guide was causing a problem. A quick play without it has been promising, with 20045 medium seeming to work very well.

Further playing/testing later.
    I'll let you know if I find anything.

Nice one, Gary
    Thanks

11. occitan

occitan New Member

Nov 22, 2002
  12. NikBedwell

NikBedwell New Member

Dec 31, 2001
    West Sussex
    Please don't make the same mistake I did when NTL replaced my Pace 4000 STB with a Samsung SMT-2100C - which was to leave the IR dongle in place, meaning that TiVo didn't work at all changing channels!

Spent ages trying all the code combinations, then realised the dongle was in place! Unplugged it, tried the 20045 codes and all was ok...

So how do I go about selling my old dongle? There must be a worthy TiVo out there somewhere in need?

TIA

13. jamesf

jamesf New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    This is worth putting on an FAQ of some sort because it's a recurrent problem for NTL users. Just followed the advice of going for 20045 on medium with the mini guide turned off (both times!) and it works perfectly. Apologies if it's already on there; just saw some threads on the main forum that are older than this and have exactly the same problem.

14. Fozzie

Fozzie New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Alton,...
  15. lord_anubis

lord_anubis Quack Dammit!!

Apr 30, 2006
    Grimsby
    Hi All,

Just rejoined Community after time away -
    Had problems with a New Samsung SetTop Box And because of the good advice as usual :) sorted on 20045 and mini guide 'OFF' That made all the difference.

Thanks All! :up:

16. Fozzie

Fozzie New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Alton,...
    Welcome back :) Unfortunately I'll be leaving shortly; May 24th - Sky HD installation. Hope I'm not disappointed!

17. Furball

Furball Totally TiVo

Dec 6, 2001
    Hampshire...
    Cheers guys , just had my old NTL Pace box that decided it was going to be a brick rather than STB and after the second pace box the engineer tried failed to play ball he dug out a samsung !!!! wow what a difference , the interactive almost works and the TV on demand works as well !!!!!

Thanks for the tip regarding the dongle , nearly forgot about that.

BTW I'm still running with the mini guide and no probs changing...........so far ?

Fur

18. webmuppet

webmuppet New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Belfast,...
    How do you change channels without the IR dongle? With the blaster? I had a Samsung box installed this morning before work. I didnt have time to do much testing but a quick arse with the IR codes wouldnt make Tivo change channels.

19. Fozzie

Fozzie New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Alton,...
    Don't confuse dongle with wands; they're different things!

20. Major dude

Major dude Member

Oct 28, 2002
    I have now had a new samsung NTL cable box for a month now and the channel changing continues to be unreliable :( .

I have used all obvious setups with both using frontblaster and wands, one leading zero, fast medium slow 200045 and none has proved as rock solid as my other box a daewoo or my old Pace 1000 NTL box with the dongle. When you test it it seems to behave but in practice you find one two or three number changes have failed resulting in a record failure. It certainely makes you realise how important rock solid channel changing is.

Any suggestions?