NP: Can't see computer but can see music/photos

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by DanInSD, Jan 19, 2008.

1. DanInSD

DanInSD New Member

Jul 8, 2003

Advertisements

I have a TivoHD and can play music and see photos from my computer. But when I look on my Now Playing list I don't see my computer to play videos.

I have enabled transfers on the Tivo website.

I've looked through other threads and couldn't find anything.

Any ideas?

2. ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    Are you trying to view videos from your pc on your TiVo? I don't believe this is possible.

The "enable transfers" means that you can transfer shows from one TiVo to another (multi-room viewing) or transfer shows from your TiVo to your pc using TiVo Desktop software.

3. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
  4. DanInSD

DanInSD New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Ah. The upgrade to Tivo Desktop Plus was the miss. Thanks.

If I convert to standard MPEG-2 will it show up automatically in my Now Playing list if I put it into the My Tivo Recordings folder? Right now I have 2 MPEG-4 vides in that folder.

5. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...

Advertisements

Transfer I a .tivo file from your Tivo to your PC. Then turn around and check to see if you can transfer it back. That will test out your connectivity/firewall.

Tivo files are MPEG-2 and obviously properly formatted.

6. DanInSD

DanInSD New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    I know my firewall is working correctly because I can see my music and photos.

If I create an MPEG-2 file and change the extension to .tivo, will that work?

7. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    A .tivo file is more than just a renamed MPEG-2. It has XML metadata header and the file is encrypted.

If you have a "properly formated MPEG-2" just put it in your My Tivo Recordings folder with extension .mpg. The free version will transfer both .mpg and .tivo.

But yeah, your computer will NOT show up on your Tivo until at least one recognized video is in your My Tivo Recordings folder.

Putting an .mpg there will probably cause it to appear on your Tivo. It will not necessarily playback though if it is not a "properly formatted" MPEG-2 video though.