Now there are sounds during DD5.1 Content?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TiVoter123, Dec 10, 2007.

1. TiVoter123

TiVoter123 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Orange, CA

Advertisements

I have just started noticing that it appears that there are now TiVo sound effects while playing content with DD5.1 sound. Thing like fast forward, pressing right to see the information screen, which wouldn't play sound effects before now seem to be. My settings have not changed (no PCM selected).

Am I going crazy here? Nothing seems to have changed that would make this happen (no updates or whatnot)... but I hear what I hear... anyone else?

2. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    When that happened to me, I realized I had the volume up on my TV (which is usually muted). I normally only have sound coming through my 5.1 receiver.

My TV is connected via HDMI, which apparently is carrying the sounds effects even though it is 5.1 material.

3. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have noticed this behavior with shows transferred to my S3 via MRV.

4. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    What type of Tivo are you MRV'ing from? Another S3??? With an S2, it would be expected of course.

5. TiVoter123

TiVoter123 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Orange, CA

Advertisements

:D whoops

6. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    My old S2. I'm not quite to the level of having multiple HDTVs in my house yet.

7. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Any analog show played on an S3 with have the sounds. All material copied via MRV from an S2 will still be analog.

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Most TVs (99%) do not accept a DD5.1 signal via HDMI. When you connect your TiVo directly to the TV with HDMI, it detects whether your TV is really capable of DD5.1. If -- like most TVs -- yours is not capable of DD5.1, then PCM 2.0 is sent instead; this PCM 2.0 signal has all the TiVo sound effects.

The Settings -> Audio -> Dolby Digital setting only tells the TiVo what to try by default. For the most part, if you connect the TiVo directly to your TV with HDMI, all you will get is PCM 2.0, because that is all the TV supports.

Some audio issues -- such as dropouts or static -- can occur when the TiVo is not enable to detect what your TV needs. Static on a TV often occurs when the TiVo tries to send a DD5.1 signal to a TV that only supports PCM 2.0. You can avoid that by setting the Tivo to default to PCM 2.0 instead of DD. If set to PCM, the TiVo will not check to see whether your TV supports Dolby Digital.

9. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    I assume what is coming out of my TOSLINK cable is still 5.1 though, right? Not PCM 2.0. I have that connected to my receiver and my TV connected via HDMI.

It is not downgrading the sound for both outputs to PCM 2.0 is it? Pretty sure I know the answer to that, but want to be sure.

(Never mind, obviouslly it isn't or I would have the Tivo sounds effects. :))

10. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    A theory is that if HDMI negotiates to 2 channel PCM, the Tivo also sends 2 channel PCM out the TOSLink port. I have no way to test this, but it would be interesting to try.

11. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Thankfully, this is not the case.

Before I got a HDMI A/V reciever, I had my Tivo connected directly to my TV with HDMI, with optical from TiVo to receiver. My receiver got DD5.1 while my TV got PCM 2.0.

12. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Same here now that I turned my brain on.

13. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    I am not following this thread... can someone please explain these "extra" sound effects? I've had an S1 in the past and now the S3 has sometimes baffled me like the OP. I heard some low-level beep-boops this weekend when using FF/REW etc. and thought I was "hearing things". I was watching football and using the Tivo's analog L-R outputs into the TV, and not my DD5.1/amp connection.

What sound effects, for which actions, under what circumstances? Is this explained in any FAQ?

14. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    We are talking about the trick play sound effects; the Pop-Goes-The-Weasel ones.

The S3 can't mix the sound effects in with the DD 5.1 audio. So you only hear them in the menus, or when not using DD 5.1.

15. Laserfan

Laserfan Member

Apr 25, 2000
    USA
    Never heard (of) them before--will have to start paying more attention!!!

16. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Settings->Audio->Sound Effects Volume is where you can turn then on/off. You do hear the sound effects in your menu, right? Those are the same sounds you hear (when not DD 2.0 or 5.1) when you ffwd or rew.

17. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Does the Tivo always send Dolby Digital (DD) via optical when the DD option is enabled, or does it decode and send PCM in the case of mono or 2-channel DD? (And does the answer depend on digital vs analog?)

18. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Everything on my CBS station is 2-channel DD. (Why? I have no idea. :mad:) I listen via the optical TOSLINK. I get no sound effects, so I presume it is not PCM. I don't have PCM enabled in the menus either. Also, my stereo shows it as DD 2.0.

19. Luke M

Luke M Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks. Does your receiver also show DD 2.0 for analog recordings?

20. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    It's a Sony. It doesn't say anything in particular for analog when using my S2.

Don't have any analog recordings on my S3 to try with.

But when using my S3 in the Tivo menu it says PCM, and DD 2/0 when watching CBS. And DD 3/2.1 for some other channels and DVDs, etc.