Now that I have a TiVo Roamio OTA DVR...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wizwor, May 7, 2015.

1. wizwor

wizwor Guest

Dec 17, 2013

Advertisements

I guess I have a lot to learn. I have been particularly confused by the operability of the mini with this model. Weaknees says it will not stream. I read here that it works fine but the number of minis supported by a dvr is limited. What's the story? Has the OTA been crippled in any other way?

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    The OTA will work with Minis, it just doesn't have MoCA built in. So if you want to use MoCA rather than ethernet you will also need a MoCA adapter.

3. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    The Mini streams fine from any 4-tuner or higher Tivo. Both boxes should have wired connections though, usually either ethernet or moca.

Not sure what the theoretical account limit of Minis is (some say 10-ish), but only a max of 3 can stream live TV simultaneously with a 4-tuner Tivo. The max # of Minis that can simultaneously stream recorded stuff is higher.

4. wizwor

wizwor Guest

Dec 17, 2013
    great news. thank you both. Just to be clear, the mini will play recorded or live OTA programming via a TiVo Roamio OTA, correct?

One more thing, all minis come with lifetime now, right? I see prices ranging from $115 (best buy via ebay/new condition) to $150 (everywhere else) -- is it possible that there is some difference other than price?

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  5. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...

Advertisements

Looks like the one you linked to is the older model. The newer models come with Roamio style remotes, while the older models came with Premiere style remotes. That, and a slightly redesigned power plug are the only differences.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Just to be clear the Roamio style remote is RF, so it does not require line of sight to function. The Premiere style remote is IR and requires line of sight.

7. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    You are misunderstanding what Weaknees is saying. The OTA Roamio will work fine with the Mini and Multi Room Stream (MRS) just fine.

The Base Roamio / OTA Roamio do not have integrated "Stream", a device that allows the TiVo to send a stream to mobile devices. If this functionality is important to you, you can purchase an add on device.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/stream

8. wizwor

wizwor Guest

Dec 17, 2013
    Thank you all. Have to think about rf as I have Los issues with the hardware on my fridge.