Now playing list won't stop scrolling

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jeremed, Jun 22, 2007.

1. jeremed

jeremed New Member

Jun 22, 2007

Advertisements

For some reason my tivo has decided to continuously scroll in the now playing list. If I press the up button on my remote the list scrolls all the way to the top. If I press down the list scrolls through each item all the way to the bottom. This is extremely annoying makes it impossible to select a program (unless I want to see what's all the very bottom or very top).

Anyone have similar behavior and fix it? I tried turning of the tivo already. But it didn't help.

2. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Not sure what you mean by "turning off the Tivo". Did you actually reboot by pulling the power cord and then restarting it. If not, try that.

3. jeremed

jeremed New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Yes, I actually pull the plug and then replug it. The problem still persists.

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Is it possible that the "up" button on the remote sticks? Did you try to cover up the sending signal on the remote to see if that stops the scroll?

5. jeremed

jeremed New Member

Jun 22, 2007

Advertisements

Yes. A faulty remote was the first thing I considered so I put the remote under a pillow to make sure it's signal wasn't getting out. Once I press the up or down button on the remote, the orange remote light on the tivo stays lit up until another one is pressed.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Check for other sources of IR in the room. Sometimes the TiVo will accept a command (button pressed), but with IR interference it doesn't "see" the end of the command (button released).

7. jeremed

jeremed New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    There are no other IR sources.

I spoke to TIVO tech support. They said I need a new box.

8. TuesdaysChild

TuesdaysChild New Member

May 7, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I had this problem a couple of months ago. When I called tech support, they had me remove all non tivo remotes from the room, take the batteries out of my tivo remotes and restart tivo. That fixed the problem for me. If it doesn't work for you, I'd try calling tech support again. Maybe the person you get this time will be a little more willing to help.

9. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Are you sure?

No Plasma TV, no compact flourescent bulbs?
    Both known to cause IR interference.

No other remote controls in the room with possible stuck buttons or dying batteries?
    TV remote, VCR remote, stereo remote?

phox

10. msrolla

msrolla 3000

Feb 11, 2004
    If your TiVo has buttons on the front panel, maybe one of them is stuck.

11. jeremed

jeremed New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Holy smokes!

I use a CFL bulb in a lamp in a corner. I turned it off and the Tivo is alright again. I've had the lamp there as long as I've had the Tivo (4 years) without any problems, so why now?

Thank you very, very much. I was really close to buying another unit today.

12. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Maybe the CFL is at the right age to be emitting RF the TiVo doesn't like?

I have no idea why it would just start after 4 years.

Glad you found the problem though.

phox

13. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Did you recently change the bulb in that lamp. The newer "100 watt equivalent" bulbs are know to generate significantly more RFI.

14. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    Try setting the Tivo to a different controller id.

It might allow you to still use the lamp and the Tivo with no problems.

I am not sure that this can be done on older Tivos, but it certainly can be done on my HR10-250 and my S3.

15. r_reynolds

r_reynolds New Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Same thing started happening to me two days ago. Yellow light stayed on, menus scrolling to top and bottom, remote functions not working right. My Tivo was possessed!

I tried everything I could think up: multiple box reboots; replacing batteries in remote; called Tivo (referred to Humax); called Humax-reset remote then said I needed to buy a new one. I refused, began my forum search, and came across this thread. Am I glad I did! The "other remote interference" ended up being the culprit. Embarrassingly, two remotes leaning against each other in the caddy were causing IR interference. Not sure if looking for that would have crossed my mind if not for this thread. thanks all!

16. mmurphy856

mmurphy856 New Member

Dec 26, 2006
    I feel so lucky to have found this thread. I had a posessed TIVO. I found the culprit remote in the bottom of a box of DVD's. I never would have looked for it if it hadn't been for this forum.

17. bailey1ak

bailey1ak New Member

May 24, 2011
    My remote/tivo has been doing the scrolling thing for 3 days now and I have tried what others have and finally thought I'd google it.

This page came up and I just wanted to say thank you. I cleaned the living room 3 days ago and I did have two remotes (tv and vcr) that I threw in a caddy and they were the culprits. Since my Tivo remote controls the TV and Tivo it would have been quite a while before I realized that was the problem.

Thank you!