1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago" premieres tonight on CNN

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jan 1, 2017 #1 of 18
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Just giving a heads-up to anyone who might find this interesting. Chicago is probably my favorite band, so I'm really looking forward to this documentary. It premieres tonight on CNN at 8 p.m. ET.

CNN To Premiere ‘Now More Than Ever’ On New Year’s Day

2. Jan 1, 2017 #2 of 18
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    When I saw "The History of Chicago" on the guide, I thought it was about the city, not the band. In the process of setting the DVR, I saw it was about the band. Interested either way! :D

3. Jan 1, 2017 #3 of 18
    SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    I set it to record when I first saw them advertising it on CNN.

4. Jan 2, 2017 #4 of 18
    scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Watched the first half last night. The thing that stood out to me the most: in the early performance clips they showed (plus the old concert youtube video that was linked to recently in another thread), they look/sound fantastic. There were no laser lights, no multi-level stages, no ramps or risers. Just a seventies band, lined up on stage, getting it done. To me, that's a FAR more enjoyable show than the modern ones with all the lasers, explosions, and fireworks.

5. Jan 2, 2017 #5 of 18
    SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    They went over a lot of things I never knew about the band.

6. Jan 2, 2017 #6 of 18
    Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, with the title "Now more than ever", I thought it was about the rise in shootings/homicides in the city...

7. Jan 2, 2017 #7 of 18
    midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    So my first thought on watching this was, why the hell is this on CNN? It didn't seem any different than the many similar music documentaries on MTV, VH1, AXS and all the rest.

Beyond that, it was very well done. Going into this I kind of disliked 2 of the original members. And after watching this, I still kind of dislike 2 of them. But it wasn't the same 2. Well, one guy was in both groups o_O

The one part I found interesting was Cetera leaving the group. We constantly think of guys leaving bands to start solo careers. I always assumed it was just that simple. Someone wanted to be the full star and make all the money. But it was interesting to hear the type of friction that happened before he left.

I also found it pretty interesting how many people refused to be interviewed. Cetera was no surprise since his refusal to perform at the HOF. But I would have liked to hear his side of things. But he wasn't the only one.

8. Jan 3, 2017 #8 of 18
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Just set the dvr to record the next broadcast of this.

9. Jan 3, 2017 #9 of 18
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Florida
    I really like Chicago but felt like the documentary was sort of a rehash of things I already knew just from watching the news and reading newspapers/magazines during the 1980's. It didn't seem like there was enough on the formation of the band which is something I'm always fascinated by with all bands. The contract structure was interesting although I wished they had introduced some of that at the beginning of the show. Loved the parts about the phone booth and jet pilots. That's pretty Rock N' Roll. All in all it was worth the time to watch.

10. SNJpage1

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    That was a real surprise when they talked about that.

11. EWiser

EWiser Member

Oct 2, 2008
    As a big Chicago fan most of the film was stuff I already knew about. I enjoyed seeing all the home movies. Wish it was done by the production company that did soundbreaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I finally watched the second half and enjoyed it (as I do with most "behind the scenes" stories of bands).

Growing up in the late 60s/early 70s, I was very aware of Chicago though I didn't own their records. I do remember when Terry Kath died, but I didn't realize how many albums they had already released before that point.

One thing that consistently emerges from watching these rockumentaries: the grass is always greener. Growing up, I remember reading about the rock star life and how much money they made per show etc., and thinking "wow - their lives must be great". But every rockumentary reveals that every level of success brings its own level of problems, and these stars aren't as happy as we might have imagined.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Watched it (in Quickmode) the night it was on.

I thought it was very interesting, with the couple of people who declined to participate.

Even though _most_ of the songs I know of theirs were early ones, I still thought it was quite interesting how many songs of theirs I knew and the only one of them I had ever HEARD of by name was Peter Cetera.

14. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I liked it but wished Cetera had participated. Last year I purchased the Chicago Blu-ray Quadio box set which includes the 9 albums that were released in quadrophonic back in the '70s before that ended. It is really well done and although I am mostly trying to liquidate my massive disc collection, not add to it, it was worth the purchase.

Chicago - Chicago Quadio Box (9 Disc Blu-Ray Audio) - Amazon.com Music

15. The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    I set my dvr to record a replay only to find out it recorded something else. I tried to find it through magical means, but failed there, too.

By the way, what does everyone think of the new bass player?

16. leeherman

leeherman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Oooooh! Want!!

LH

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It's available on demand and probably at CNN.com. I had the same issue and watched it On Demand (with commercials :() I liked it, but really it was the typical rock band story. Band struggles, finds a promoter / agent who rips them off. Lots of drugs, at least one death caused directly or indirectly from drugs, lots of petty jealousy, one band member becames the "star" and thinks he's bigger than the band. We see this same story with just about every band.

I found it interesting in reading Springsteen's recent biography. He says that a band where all members are equal never works, because there's always someone who thinks they are better than the band. It's why, after a few stabs on being part of a band, he went out on his own, and his band, though treated well, is still HIS band. He calls the shots. Chicago, fell into this same trap, once Cetera became the glamour boy. I'll give them credit that they managed to at least keep some of the band together all these years.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  18. The Spud

The Spud Rather be cruising TCF Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Kent, WA
    I rarely watch stuff on demand so it's not something I normally think of, but someone on another forum I frequent mentioned they watched it on demand so I checked on Xfinity and was able to watch it last night.