Now I know why Alyson Hannigan wanted to cry (just spent a few hours with my new R15)

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by af250xxl, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Mar 2, 2006 #1 of 27
    af250xxl

af250xxl New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Now I know why Alyson Hannigan wanted to cry... :(

I just spent a few hours with my new R15(from the free DVR4ME offer)...
    It's worse than asking a PC user to switch to Mac, or vice versa. :(
    I now know how those senior citizens who can't program VHS VCRs feel like! :)

All my other DVRs are DirecTiVos.... I called DirecTV and begged for R10 but
    the nice lady said they don't have no more R10s to send out.(which I know is not true since others have gotten R10s from this offer)

2. Mar 2, 2006 #2 of 27
    Rax

Rax New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    In a box.
    PC = personal computer. Macs qualify as personal computers.

And it isn't just senior citizens who can't handle VCRs, many people are too ignorant to figure them out.

Change is here and the R15 is the future, like it or not. Some people get overly upset over it while others see it as part of life.

3. Mar 2, 2006 #3 of 27
    codespy

codespy Go A-Rod (Packers)

Jan 6, 2006
    Packerland, USA
    Has channel 1000 been of any assistance in learning this new DVR, I have not had the time to sit through it. Tivo doesn't need a channel like this for learning- its already that easy as many will agree. Probably a good thread for the DBS site.

4. Mar 2, 2006 #4 of 27
    n8.

n8. 2004

Feb 26, 2006
    the OC
    You knew what he meant. Windows based "PC" to a Mac.

5. Mar 2, 2006 #5 of 27
    Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth MRV Junkie

Jun 14, 2005
    Fountain, CO
    With new Macs using Intel chips, it will now be "Windows to Mac OS." I believe OS X for Intel has already been hacked to run on "standard" PC hardware.

6. Mar 3, 2006 #6 of 27
    psyco2

psyco2 New Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Semantics :confused:

7. Mar 3, 2006 #7 of 27
    af250xxl

af250xxl New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    That is very true. I had the in-laws for a few days during Thanksgiving.
    They still have cable TV. :eek: I showed them how to turn on the TV
    and handed them the DirecTiVo peanut remote. They were able to master
    everything in only a couple of minutes. (in fact, added dozens of new
    SeasonPass to it..) Guess what happend after they went home? They
    switched to DirecTV. Unfortunately, DirecTV sent them 2 non-Tivo DVRs.
    They got very upset and called me up for help. I was able to hook them
    up with two R10s that I was able to find. Now they're happy... :)

By the way, I apologize to anyone if I somehow offended the Mac. I only
    use Windows PCs, but I always felt Mac were technically superior.... :)

8. Mar 3, 2006 #8 of 27
    itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    ohio
    I guess i just don't understand why so many people think the R-15 is so much harder to operate. I have both but my 7 year old daughter uses an R-15 with no problems.

9. Mar 3, 2006 #9 of 27
    Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    it's just a matter of what you're used to. I have both and although I prefer the TiVo software, I think it's because I'm used to it, not because it's that bad.

I have a friend who never had a TiVo based box. He upgraded to an R15 from a regular receiver and he, his wife and his kids love it and have no problems operating it.

10. Markman07

Markman07 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota
    R15's .... the future...

oh thanks.....I needed a good laugh.

11. af250xxl

af250xxl New Member

Jan 23, 2006

My 9 year old nephew assembles his own highly customized PC.... dual
    processors, four 400GB hard drives, 4GB RAM, liquid-cooling and all that...
    Plus he's really into overclocking the processor....

Kids today are so smart... they almost scare me... :eek:
    When I was 9, I think I was playing Ping Pong on Atari.... :)

12. john-duncan-yoyo

john-duncan-yoyo New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    NoVa near DC
    Oh great, is this the first steps to the Terminators taking over the earth?

13. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    well I had a stand alone pong game with dedicated paddles! :) I think there were even 2 speeds!

14. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    You are correct, for people who DO NOT have a "Frame of Reference", the R15 is okay.

But then again most people who DO NOT have a “Frame of Reference” think that the cable company Digital Video Records like the Motorola, Scientific Atlanta, and Moxi are okay and you know how bad those boxes are.

15. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    You are absolutely correct, sir. But remember that it is the VAST MAJORITY that do not have a "frame of reference" and will be quite happy with these boxes. After all, even a "bad" DVR is better than a VCR!

16. Mark Griswold

Mark Griswold New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    CT
    For people with a VCR frame of reference, having to constantly reboot their DVR to make it work correctly will probably leave a bad taste in their mouth. After all, how often (if ever) did they have to reboot their VCR.

17. Scott in CO

Scott in CO New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Fort...
    "Out of order? F**K! Even in the future, nothing works!" - Dark Helmet, Spaceballs

18. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    I recently spent a few days at my brother's house in New orleans. He has cable with a motorola dvr. I'm not familiar with the different ones so I can't tell you which model. I asked him how he liked it and he honestly didn't get the question.

To him it was like asking how you like your toaster. He said it records shows, plays them back, what's to like or dislike?

I guess he falls into that VAST MAJORITY category.

19. DesignDawg

DesignDawg New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Well, my parents have a Motorola DVR, and I HATE it. It sucks the big ball. My boss, however, has a Motorola DVR on his cable, and it's the best DVR I've ever seen. Blows TiVo away, IMO. I'd even go so far as to say I like it better than my precious UTV. --But the cable signal is kinda crap, so I'm not interested in switching. But not all Motorola DVRs are bad. In fact, I think you'd find, with a little research, there are some models/generations that are widely hailed as EXCELLENT DVRs by many many people (and no, I'm not just talking about people who have never seen another DVR.)

Ricky

20. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    As majority, not an absolute or complete majority, but as a majority all the Motorola, Scientific Atlanta, and Moxi DVR reviews that I have read say that the UI sucks in comparison to what is becoming a very old TiVo UI. I will not try to assume, but it appears that based upon what the TiVo CEO Tom Rogers said in interviews last week, Comcast may agree because TiVo will be supplying replacement software for the existing Comcast DVRs, which include the Motorola boxes, this year.

I have to say from experience that the user interfaces on the Motorola cable boxes, including the new DCT700 really suck. And if the Motorola DVRs have user interfaces that are a lot like the interfaces in their cable boxes then I can say without a doubt they suck big time.

You do have to realize that the current TiVo UI is almost six years old and was created about the time Windows 98 SE was released, and some of us will be replacing our Windows XP with Vista this year.