novice idea about fixing hdtivo freezing??

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tivo5t, May 18, 2008.

1. tivo5t

tivo5t Member

Nov 20, 2004

Advertisements

can anyone tell me if the hdtivo freezing problem could be caused by some kind of charge buildup on the hard drive (spinning all the time)? maybe because of an inadequate grounding of the hardware?

i'm not an expert on this. but if that idea makes any sense, maybe some 'hackers' (i'm not) who are having this freezing problem could check the grounding? make grounding better and see if freeze problem is gone?

in my simple mind, it could then make sense that it occurs after some time (varying degrees of poor ground/charge buildup) , doesn't happen on everones hdtivo, and is temporarily 'cured' by a restart (maybe that removed the charge?).

so the fix would be a proper grounding somehow. or maybe tivo could periodically remove such a charge somehow?

Thanks for any comments.

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I doubt it. My TiVo HD was fine until it got the 9.3a software.

3. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Mine is working just fine.

4. tivo5t

tivo5t Member

Nov 20, 2004
    i'd heard that some/many did not have this freeze problem (at least not yet).
    i brought this idea up, because i was trying to think of some way that the 9.3 software itself might NOT be CAUSING the freeze problem, but rather that the 9.3 software somehow made a 'hidden' problem come to life (i.e the 9.3 is somehow more sensitive to some situation which was borderline already).
    if there is a borderline but somewhat variable problem (like a tentative ground(or something like that)), then some HDtivos will have no problem with 9.3, while others will have a problem shown, ranging from slight to awful.
    i appreciate the comments. maybe by looking at the changes that 9.3 brought in some other ideas will pop up.
    thanks...

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

I doubt that this is the problem, but to anyone who wants to experiment, all that is needed is some small guage copper wire.

Tie one end around a case screw on the Tivo and the other end to the cover plate screw of a plug outlet (provided that the outlet is properly grounded).

6. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    My TiVoHD recently starting freezing during video playback - it was still responsive to the remote and I could FF/REW and go back to the menus with no problems, but whenever I played anything it would go for a few seconds and then freeze.

After a reboot it's all fine again, so my guess is that it's a memory management issue.

7. Natron

Natron Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Greater...
    I get the same problem on both of mine HD's. Reboot fixes it.

8. tivo5t

tivo5t Member

Nov 20, 2004
    i hope someone who has the freezing problem tries that better grounding and tracks the performance...

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The issue started with 9.3. It is clearly a software problem as TiVo is working on a solution as noted in the thread in the S3 forum.

10. Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    Plus, if it were a grounding issue I wouldn't expect a reboot to clear it up so reliably.

11. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL