Nova 11/14 "Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by nataylor, Nov 15, 2007.

1. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

This was an excellent program about the Dover School Board trial. If you missed it, your PBS station will probably be replaying it soon. It's definitely worth checking out.

Edit: Doh! Posted in the wrong forum.

2. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Wrong forum/category (try "Now Playing"), but thanks for the heads-up :)

3. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    The Dwigt-like 'smoking gun' discovered by the plaintiffs was pretty interesting. When you're spending 1 million dollars on legal fees you can dig that stuff up.

4. TiVo'Brien

TiVo'Brien Now with 2.6% Fewer Organs TCF Club

Feb 8, 2002
    Orlando,...
    Great episode. Loved how the ID folks were exposed for the liars they were.

Also, this was a great lesson for those people who think their vote doesn't count.

5. murrays

murrays Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2004

Advertisements

I liked it when the "deer in the headlights" guy said the judge was a "clown" :D

Also, when he said they weren't asking for the science teachers to become pastors, I thought "No, you're asking them to do something much, much worse; you're asking them to essentially reject all of science!!"

And the icing on the cake, death threats, apparently from "Christians" :rolleyes: These people make me sick!

-murray

6. murrays

Oct 19, 2004
    Cdesign Proponentist :D

-murray

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The amazing thing is after reading Monkey Girl, this documentary was VERY kind to the creationists!

8. JediCowboyD

JediCowboyD Nerf Herder

Feb 21, 2002
    Happy...
    I caught this quite by accident the other night :up:

9. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
  10. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
  11. murrays

Oct 19, 2004
    Just today, there was another letter to the editor in a local paper referring to ID as an alternate "theory". It seems self fulfilling that the IDers want to diminish science education which leads to people who don't understand the meaning of "theory" :rolleyes:

-murray

12. logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    It was a good Nova episode but one thing nags me. Quite a few scientists profess to be men of faith. I just can't wrap my head around that concept. How can you be a scientist yet believe in supernatural forces?

13. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    That is an easy question. Religion and science answer two different questions. Religion answers Why? and science answers How?

It is when science tries to answer Why? and religion tries to answer How? is when we get into trouble.

14. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    You'll note that I post from PA. Just note that we could have lived in Dover but chose a different school district. I used to work with one of the people who successfully ran to defeat the incumbent board (not featured in the Nova story - I don't think she was even mentioned but her picture was one one of the billboard shots).

To give you an idea of how conservative this area is, one of the local parks is Richard M. Nixon County Park.

15. flaminio

flaminio New Member

May 21, 2004
    Redwood...
    The way it was described in the 16th century makes perfect sense to me: Religion tells you how to go to heaven; Science tells you how the heavens go.

The Nova show was awesome. The IDiots got totally own3d in the trial.

16. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    If you enjoyed this you should see "A Flock of Dodo's". I think its available on DVD.

17. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I watched this early this week. Excellent episode. I really got a kick out of how hard the IDers try to claim they are not peddling creationism, when clearly that's what they're doing. I even heard Rush Limbaugh say that he thinks ID is probably just a way to try to sneak creationism into the classroom.

18. logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    Interesting approach but I don't buy it. Religion makes specific supernatural claims that I would like any "scientist" would have a hard time swallowing.

19. kmccbf

kmccbf New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm trying to word this carefully so that this doesn't become a "religious" and therefore a banned thread. I am an ID advocate, but I also find the agruments of most ID advocates strained to say the least. There is a view of ID which is rarely discussed. I pass it on for your concideration only.

The opening of Genisis starts out "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth and the earth was without form and void." There are some who believe that the word "was" is really the word "became" in the text. The idea being God created the heaven and the earth, something happened to tear it apart and God puts it back together and likely recreates many of the same animals using the same designs they had before the destructon. You could literally put billions and billions of years of evolution and devlopment between "God created..." and "the earth became..." Rocks would be as old as they indicate using carbon dating. Since the dirt and rock from before the destruction, was used in putting everything back together fossils make complete sense. You would have to ask yourself if science could really tell if the world had been put back together again or not.

Again, I'm not putting this out for any reason than to mention that the ID beliefs are not always the ones most often argued. To me...those arguments which, which try to pass of the earth and rock as being less that 10,000 years old just don't make sense.

20. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    The personal histories of many prominent scientists don't bear that out. There have been many deeply religious scientists. "God doesn't play dice with the Universe."

The other side of the coin was touched on by this Nova episode. I think many of the religious people they talked to felt like science was trying to "disprove" religion. That's not the case with many if not most scientists.