Notifications after recording?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by pyrodex, Sep 18, 2009.

1. pyrodex

pyrodex New Member

Jul 23, 2002

Advertisements

I currently own two TiVo Series3 and I wrote a perl script that supported multiple TiVo devices and polled the web interface using the MAK and kept a rolling plain text file of the recordings. This would allow for me to get notifications when new shows were recorded so I knew what I to watch for the weekend. However my Linux days are done right now since my box died and I still have the software out there but I was wondering if anyone has created a similar windows based application so it could run as a service on my windows PC.

2. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Would looking at tivo.com under Find TV shows -> My Now Playing list accomplish the same functionality you desire?

3. pyrodex

pyrodex New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    I see that but I would like notifications via email so I can do some special parsing of those.

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Perl runs on Windows, doesn't it? Ah, but you want to run it as a service (still there's probably a way to do that).

This probably doesn't help either, but I use a PHP script to generate an RSS feed of the NPLs on each of my TiVos.

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA

Advertisements

I guess I don't get this. I look at my Now Playing List on my Tivo for new shows.

6. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    But you have to be in front of your TiVo to do that. ;)

7. pyrodex

pyrodex New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    I am always connected with my iPhone and with the release of 3.0 there is software to do Push notifications for things such as this. I wrote this into my application at and it was very easy to achieve. Maybe I'll have to go the whole perl on windows route to get this to work. My code is transparent so should be easy.

8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm with sieglinde. Help me understand this (and I'm not being facetious). I sit in front of my TiVo/TV, and click on Now Playing, and that's what I watch. How does getting advance notification of what's been recorded help?

9. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I got bored a few weeks ago, and after seeing a thread about getting your TiVo to 'tweet' I wrote a Windows command-line program to dump the NPL to a tab delimited file.

I can't think of any practical use for it either, but if there's any real interest I can take it further.

10. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    I'm with you two. :)

I honestly have no idea what the point of this whole thread is. Just because something may be possible to do does not mean it makes any sense to do it.

But then in my case I'm just an old fart who can't see the point of texting, twittering, etc. :eek:

11. Kasey1

Kasey1 New Member

Sep 17, 2009
    thanks for sharing.it is useful and great for me .

12. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    It might not make any sense, but it's still fun to do or try. I don't need RSS feeds from my TiVo, but it's a fun little project.

13. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Nothing is wrong with it and if you are able to stream the video signal from the Tivo to something other than the TV in the room it sits in, this is probably useful.

I just have one TV and a couple of Tivos hooked to it so I have to sit in front of the darn thing anyway. :)

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    this all started with the arguments I can easily recall of "Who would want a computer in their house?"

15. mec1991

mec1991 Cranky old coot

Nov 5, 2004
    Back home...
    And I believe I made that argument quite frequently back then... :eek: