Noticed something the other night....

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by berkchops516, Dec 15, 2005.

1. berkchops516

berkchops516 Member

Dec 5, 2005
    NY
    I was about to go to bed and saw that my tivo was recording something, went to check what it was recording and didn't see it in the "now playing" list so i switched to live tv.......it was recording an infomercial about the new producers movie. Thought it looked interesting so i didn't stop it from recording, i went to watch it today and i couldn't find it anywhere. On the channel guide it was listed as "Paid Programming" I just recently got my tivo and i am wondering if this is normal....and does tivo buy these "paid programming" time slots for those showcase things?

2. jrinck

jrinck Certified Neurotic

Nov 23, 2004
    What channel was it on?

It's probably a showcase, which gets somewhat randomly shown on Tivo Central. Those get broadcasted on a certain channel and saved in the deep recesses of the hard drive, inaccessible to the user.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    That was definitely a showcase recording. Go to TiVo Central and then select Showcases. There you should see an entry for whatever it recorded. This is normal behavior and before you ask, the showcases are using reserved space on the hard drive. DirecTV used to use ch 581 or 582 for this, but recently I find my DVRs tuned to 6xx.

4. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    On my units there is a Gold Star promo for The Producers in TiVo Central, that's what the content was for.

And yes, the broadcasts are usually labeled 'Teleworld Paid Programming' and their used for the video content in promos and showcases.

5. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    What channel are these on now? I used to get them when they were on Discovery, but havn't got them in a long time. :confused:

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    See my post above.

7. berkchops516

berkchops516 Member

Dec 5, 2005
    NY
    it was channel 3 on NY Cablevision

8. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Just search for 'Teleworld Paid Programming'

I've seen them, variously, on Discovery, A&E, TLC, PAX, and probably others.

9. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    I have three Tivos running and at certain times, all three will switch to channel 31 and show that they are recording something but no recording is listed. From reading here it seems that they are recorded as Tivo showcases, something I have only even looked at by accident.

I can be sitting here watching TV and these ARROGANT jerks take it upon themselves to reach into my living room and change the channel on my TV. I also have a cable box w/DVR and if I happened to be recording to there at the time, these uninvited home invasions will ruin that recording.

It hasn't happened yet, but the first time it does I will cancel my two Tivo subscriptions, (third is lifetime subscription).

What do they think gives them the right to autorecord their advertising onto my equipment and who can I contact to put a stop to this??

10. LiveBlues

LiveBlues Master Blaster

Oct 30, 2001
    Clinton, UT
    I'm pretty sure that it won't interrupt a recording in progess to start recording it. It will just wait for an opportune time to do it. I find it amusing that after you go off on your rant, you then state that it hasn't happened yet.

11. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    WTF?
    Why spread such ignorance?

12. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    The user agreement that you agreed to when you signed up for the TiVo service. Didn't read it? Too bad.

And you can't stop it, there is no opt-out. Cancel your subscriptions if it bothers you.

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Please stop the hysteria

14. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Will somebody please think of the CHILDREN!

15. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    Saw it last night. Was like an hour info-mercial. Even had the "The preceeding program was...." at the end. Was a bit about Harmony remote...and networking the TIVO...

Was like staying at a hotel and getting the channel that advertises the local amusement area... :)

16. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    "Those ARROGANT jerks" will ask you (by putting a message on your screen asking if it's ok to change the channel) before they change the channel on your TV. If you miss the warning, you can always change it back. "Those ARROGANT jerks" do not "lock up" your tv or anything.
    Only if your using your cable dvr to feed your tivo dvr. (which is kinda redundant, but each to his own) Also, your cable dvr has to be dumb enough to change the channel while it's recording without a "You sure you want to cancel this recording?" warning, which may explain why you have a tivo in the first place.(;))
    Good for you. A man gotta do what a man gotta do, eh?
    The service agrement you agreed to when you signed up for tivo service.

17. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Looks like I wandered into a flock of Tivo sheep. If the Tivo shepherd tells me I must allow them to change my channel whenever they want, I shall not be annoyed, I shall simply blend with the flock and bow down to the shepherd. As for finding my "rant" "amusing", if I were throwing rocks at you and missing, would you only get annoyed when one bounced off your sheepish head? You think this is not annoying in any way, Scroll down to the scenario about watching a movie.

Are you the shepherd's pet or simply the best follower in the flock?

And you must be the techno-sheep. I have four feeds going into my HDTV. One direct from each of the cable boxes and one from each cable box that goes through a Tivo first. The channels are controlled by the cable box and bypassing it leaves you in a channel house of mirrors. This setup allows me to watch and/or record programs in HD. The Tivos are the unnecessary part of the equation, but since one has lifetime subscription and the other costs a pittance of 6 bucks a month I keep them for some of the Tivo advantages. They are the slo-mo and better ability to search a recording as well as two week vs one week advance programming. I rarely watch anything with Tivo's inferior picture unless I want to look at something in slo-mo or I need to do a quick search

OK techno, picture this. I am sitting home at about 2AM and happen to see that a movie I want to watch is on the TNT HD channel and starts in a few minutes. OK, I make myself comfortable and begin watching the movie. Forty five minutes into the movie and during a commercial break, I decide to make myself a sandwich confident that when I get back I can simply rewind to where I was if the commercials had ended. I am not there when it asks if I want to change the channel, so it does. The cable box will just do as it was told because the Tivo sends the cable box the command to change as if it came from me.

I sit down glad to see the ads are still running but after a minute or so, I realize what has happened. Since the channels on the Tivo and the cable box have changed, there is no rewinding and the 45 minutes I spent watching the movie are for nothing.

Now lets look at the "agreement" that rules this flock.

12. Advertising and Promotions. The TiVo service is advertiser supported. The hard disk drive of your TiVo DVR contains reserved space in addition to the advertised recording capacity. TiVo reserves the right to send content (including advertising and promotional material) to such reserved portions of your TiVo DVR's hard disk drive as part of the TiVo service. In order to send such content, you agree that TiVo may tune your TiVo DVR to a particular channel at a particular time.

Did you all miss that word particular in the agreement?? It doesn't say at random times, it doesn't say whenever the Tivo shepherd decides to reach into your sheep pen and disrupt your viewing, it says "at a PARTICULAR time". Since Tivo sells ads at prices determined by the number of subscribers it doesn't matter at what time they send these things out and it doesn't matter if I actually watch them or not. Compare it to a magazine that also gets paid for ads based upon their number of readers. I might read the magazine, but it doesn't guarantee I will read your ad. That said, each subscriber should be able to log onto their account and in the Showcases section, enter a preferred time, a PARTICULAR time to send these ads.

18. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida
    Jeeze, Jack! It was not my intention to upset you or to belittle you in any way. I must have somehow misunderstood or misinterpreted your post somehow when I replied. I was just trying to explain what was going on with your problems to the best of my ability.

Judging from the tone your latest reply, I seem to have inadvertently hit a nerve. I apologize for any undue frustration I may have caused you.

I still don't quite understand, but to try to do so may cause more frustration and ill will.

Please forgive me and I will refrain from any further replies.

I wish you the best of luck with your setup.

19. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I can't help you with the politics, but when the movie starts, or when you get up to make your sandwich, you can push the "Record" button on the cable DVR. When the TiVo tries to change the channel, the cable DVR will object, and your buffer will be preserved. Pushing "Pause" may have a similar effect.

The same basic situation can occur any time you are watching live TV with a TiVo -- if you walk away, the TiVo may change channels to record something. Again, the solution is to hit the record button, but in this case it's the TiVo's record button. If it creates a conflict, the TiVo will tell you and you can make a decision about what to do.

But the real solution, in your case, is to not have one DVR controlling another DVR, which just seems like it would inevitably lead to conflicts.

TiVo has to buy broadcast time from a cable network in order distribute the content. Buying enough blocks of time to accommodate the various preferences of 1.2 million SA subscribers would be impractical.

20. Tivo II Jack

Tivo II Jack New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    No, I guess I will be the one apologizing, your reply just was the last of several others who were just wisecracks and I guess I read too much into it. Sorry