Nothing like a Tivo!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by mattyro7878, Mar 19, 2021.

1. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT

Advertisements

Just want to comment on how great it is to have 6 tuners going full tilt during March madness. I'm recording 4 games at a time and can go to any game that's a possible upset. Slo mo, freeze frame. Can you imagine trying to watch multiple games on a streaming service?? Not fun! Can you imagine trying to
    rewatch a couple dunks or great plays? Gonna miss Tivo when it's gone.!!

2. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    True. I mainly just record, there is nothing like a Tivo for strictly DVR function. If OTA wonderful, if cable and you have Comcast additional cable cards/outlets are free (around Chicago at least, and they do still provide cards here). Don't even need minis, just use multiple lifetime Roamios, $200 or so used. I have a 2 tuner Premiere (one of my Tivos), OTA and cable at the same time. Cable card free, and wish list searches will find ANYTHING being broadcast, OTA or cable, very nice, lot of old shows/movies that don't show up very often.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    YouTube TV's unlimited DVR (no tuner or capacity limit; 9 month viewing window) made capturing all the games possible, and jumping between the current games is pretty easy. But navigation is pretty painful, especially in the areas mentioned: instant replay (too big a jump backwards), no slow motion or frame advance.

And YouTube TV's 3-stream maximum also proved a problem, when I was bumped out of my session by someone else firing-up a YTTV session elsewhere in the house.

4. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    YTTV is almost there. I dont think any service relying on cloud information will ever do trick play. Maybe if something is downloaded, you can trick play but at what quality?

krkaufman likes this.
  5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

True in general but in the specific case of instant replay it doesn’t require all that much memory and the local client hardware can easily buffer enough to do it. Just takes the right software.