Notes on Fox shows

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by That Don Guy, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Jan 8, 2012 #1 of 26
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    According to an article in TheFutonCritic, the head of Fox Entertainment had this to say about some of Fox's shows:

Allen Gregory is officially cancelled (although there is a live-action show Jonah Hill in some level of development).

So You Think You Can Dance? is going to be one night a week instead of two. They don't say how this will affect the show - specifically, what happens to the "dance for your life" segment (where the bottom three in the votes perform solos and then the judges decide who is out - IIRC, this was one of the "problems" with the show's fall season).

There will be no spinoffs of either House or Glee (I have a feeling he was specifically talking about a talked-about "NYADA" spinoff series for Lea Michele and Chris Colfer), although he did say that Lea would still be a regular on Glee next season.

No decision has been made yet on whether or not House, Fringe, and/or Terra Nova will be back next season, but he did say that Terra Nova makes money (pretty much the main reason people think will lead to the show not being renewed) while Fringe doesn't.

2. Jan 9, 2012 #2 of 26
    ewolfr

ewolfr .

Feb 12, 2001
    SoCal
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #3 of 26
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I thought the comments about Fringe were interesting, because the Fringe producers say they were given a ratings number to hit and they've hit it. Odd that this number wouldn't account for the cost of the show as far as Reilly is concerned -- that's kind of what ratings are for.

4. Jan 9, 2012 #4 of 26
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ratings are just numbers, in the end. They are guidance that the network's sales department can use to get prospective advertisers to buy in at a particular price. If they can't get the ads at that price, they start having to discount, which means less revenue.

5. Jan 9, 2012 #5 of 26
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Can we get some dinosaurs on Fringe for a couple of episodes?

6. Jan 9, 2012 #6 of 26
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Except that it starts 30 minutes before SNL.

It also sounds like it's going to be for Adult Swim-style shows.

Please, please, please, pleasepleaseplease, PLEASE, did I say please, please don't have one of them be a "mature" version of The Flintstones (we know Seth MacFarlane is remaking the show, but have no details on its maturity level).

7. Jan 9, 2012 #7 of 26
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Interesting. I think Glee has passed its freshness date also. I am glad there is no spinoff.

8. Jan 9, 2012 #8 of 26
    eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I wonder what Terra Nova is like in the Fringe alternate universe...

9. Jan 9, 2012 #9 of 26
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    When/where did the Fringe producers say this? I'm guessing that the ratings they got in the second half of last season after moving to Friday were sufficient to meet the network expectations, but there's no way that the reduced ratings for this season are meeting any number that the network wanted them to hit.

10. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    :confused:

11. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    What's there to be confused about? Terra Nova makes money, even at its current ratings level, which is not as high as the network execs had hoped. Fringe does not make money at its current ratings level.

12. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I'm confused too. "Terra Nova makes money, which is why is it NOT going to be renewed"?

Z

13. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Well, we ARE talking about Fox. ;)

14. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Doesn't exist -- the 10th season of "Firefly" is in that time slot.

15. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    No, what he was saying is that most people assume Terra Nova won't be renewed because it was so expensive that even at the decent ratings it was getting, it was losing money. Kevin Reilly debunked that argument and confirmed that they are making money on the show, so if it's not renewed, it won't be because it lost money.

16. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    Ah I see. I guess that's what I get for reading what he said, and not what he meant :D

17. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
  18. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Of course, but the point is you should be able to project revenue based on ratings. If you expect to draw a certain percentage of a certain demographic, that should come with an anticipated ad buy that would determine whether you can afford the show at that rating. So I don't get why Fox would set a ratings target, declare it met, and then say the show was too expensive at that number.

See the first question here. (Although on a re-read, it seems to be EW confirming that the show has met the target, not producer Jeff Pinkner.)

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I find it very hard to believe that FOX gave the producers of Fringe a ratings target that was as low as the ratings they've been getting this season. Most weeks during the fall, the show hasn't done much better than a 1.1 or 1.2 among adults 18-49, with fewer than 3 million viewers. While there aren't many shows that do well on Fridays, that's still pretty abysmal for a network show.

20. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That's nothing but speculation by that writer. TN could come back, but it will be based on its own merits and the amount they've already invested in the show and not simply because something else failed.