Notebook sata drives on a tivo HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Austin Bike, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003

Advertisements

Does anyone here have experience with upgrading to a notebook drive to cut down on sound/power/heat?

you can buy 500GB sata notebook drives at Fry's for $119.

Most likely they are 5400RPM, with the old tivo's this was not an issue (it was preferred), what about the HD versions? Do they need a 7200RPM drive?

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    AFAIK you'd be a TiVo Pioneer using a notebook SATA drive with your TiVo. Hi-def TiVo's do not need a 7200RPM hard drive. I don't think the heat issue will improve with a notebook drive though, and I can think of reasons that it might be worse. Plus something like that is an unknown as far as reliabilty, compatibility, etc.

You'll probably get more/better responses by posting on the Official eSATA Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ sticky thread rather than creating new threads when you have a question.

If you're looking for a quiet, cool running drive for < $99 this 1TB Fantom eSATA drive is successfully being used by a number of folks here now. Otherwise, check the sticky for more info.

Happy upgrading.

3. DAccardi

DAccardi Tivo Special Member

Oct 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    ummm 2.5 form factor hard drives are extemely unreliable. bad move. very bad move.

4. Austin Bike

Austin Bike Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Well, if the 3.5" hard drive on my tivo is bad after 7 months, then how bad can a 2.5" be?

I have been using 2.5" for all of my desktop systems and HTPC with no issue. They run cooler and quieter than 3.5". I really only use 3.5" in my NAS devices, everything else is 2.5".

For now I have run the kickstart, so we'll see if that fixes the issues that we were seeing.

5. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004

Advertisements

The new Seagate Momentus 500gb drive would be great in a TiVo HD. It is 7200 rpm, low power draw and pretty good seek times.