Not Recording Specific Channel?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Matty-Matt, Dec 3, 2019 at 10:12 AM.

1. Matty-Matt

Matty-Matt New Member

Tuesday
    Des Moines,...
    I am having an issue with recording programming on channel 5-1 (ABC) or any of its sub-channels. I just purchased a refurbished Bolt 500GB, which replaced my defective Roamio OTA 500GB. Before connecting the Bolt, I made sure the antenna was adjusted so that all of my available TV stations were being received with reliable signal strength. I completed the activation and set-up process and everything worked as expected, except for scheduled recordings on 5-1? My scheduled recordings on 5-1 are listed in "My Shows", but when I attempt to play them back it only shows a black screen? I checked the activity history, it shows an "error" for all recordings on 5-1?

Here are the troubleshooting steps I completed so far:
    • Checked the signal strength for 5-1 and it was 67, which should be acceptable.
    • Directly tuned to 5-1 using the guide and confirmed it is working.
    • Recorded live programming while tuned to 5-1 and confirmed it is working.
    For some reason it will not record scheduled programming on this specific channel? I never had this issue with my original Roamio? I am calling support tonight for assistance. Stay tuned...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 10:21 AM
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Any issue with viewing it on your TV? TiVo doesn't use PSIP like a TV does. Plus, check your channel list to see if there are two 5-1 channels.

3. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    What market are you in? There are tons of markets with a 5-1 so without location we really can't give good info
    You could be in Nashville, Minneapolis, Glendive Montana, Seattle, LA, NY, Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Cincy, Cleveland, Great Falls Montana, Des Moines, Chicago, etc etc etc ;) All of those markets have a 5-1

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Call letters would be a good answer.

5. Matty-Matt

Matty-Matt New Member

Tuesday
    Des Moines,...
    Yes, there are two 5-1 channels listed in my broadcast area. The ABC affiliate is WOIDT (Ames Iowa). The same station is simulcasted as WOIDT50 for residents in Des Moines. I have removed all incidents of WOIDT50, which I cannot receive from my location, from my favorite channels. However, the recording error was not resolved.
    BTW: what is PSIP? I'm a newbie, so I am not familiar this term.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 1:20 PM
  6. Matty-Matt

Matty-Matt New Member

Tuesday
    Des Moines,...
    Sorry, I should've provided more details in my original post. The ABC affiliate in my market in WOIDT (Ames, IA). This station is also simulcast as WOIDT50 for Des Moines residents, but I am not able to receive this signal where I live.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 2:05 PM
  8. Matty-Matt

Matty-Matt New Member

Tuesday
    Des Moines,...
    I see that WOIDT is broadcasting in 720p instead of 1080i. Could this have something to do with my recording error?

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    All ABC and Fox stations are 720p. I don't think that's your problem.

10. Matty-Matt

Matty-Matt New Member

Tuesday
    Des Moines,...
    Thanks for checking on this... I did not realize Fox stations are also broadcast in 720p. If that's not the issue, then could it be related to the tuners. Maybe the scheduled recording is attempting to tune a channel that I don't receive, resulting in the error? If this is the case, then what steps would I take to resolve the issue? I've read other posts that refer to clearing the tuners. Could you explain how this is done with the Bolt and advise whether this would help?

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry. I have never heard of "clearing the tuners" and I don't have a Bolt (or OTA).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 3:29 PM
  12. Matty-Matt

Matty-Matt New Member

Tuesday
    Des Moines,...
    Thanks Joe. I really appreciate your feedback here. I will follow-up with Tivo Support this evening. I'm sure they will suggest a re-boot and then have me re-scan the antenna channels. I will post tomorrow with the results :)

13. Matty-Matt

Matty-Matt New Member

Tuesday
    Des Moines,...
    Before calling Tivo support I did the following:
    • disconnected/reconnected power supply
    • scanned for antenna channels
    • completed "channel clean-up"
    Channel Clean-Up is a menu option on Bolt. I suspect it eliminates the channels in your designated broadcast area with extremely weak or absent signals.

I scheduled a recording on channel 5-1 (WOIDT, Ames, IA) without previously tuning to this channel. After allowing 15 minutes for the program to record, I selected the recording, and to my surprise it played back normally. I tested recordings on the three sub-channels as well, and they also performed normally. For the final test, I scheduled a recording at 4:30AM, which allowed the Bolt to go into standby mode. This recording also played back normally.

I suspect the error occurred during the original set-up procedure. Perhaps the previous channel scan did not recognize the simultaneous signal from WOI50DT (UHF) was unavailable in my area. I believe the recording error occurred when the tuner selected WOI50DT (UHF) instead of WOIDT (VHS).

I am considering this issue to be resolved for now. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

NorthAlabama and unclehonkey like this.
  14. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    Glad its all working out. I've seen that happen when there are multiple versions of a station listed. I have that issue here in Mankato, MN where we have in the channel list the stations from Minneapolis and all the translator stations around southern Minnesota that also have the Minneapolis stations. So we have like 4 different stations that remap (PSIP) to 2-1 and we have to find the right one and remove the others from the channel list.

Oh and just a note..its VHF, not VHS ;)

15. Matty-Matt

Matty-Matt New Member

Tuesday
    Des Moines,...
    Ha! I can't believe I typed VHS! I am definitely I child of the 80's :)

unclehonkey likes this.