Not recording some programs in basic quality.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by YoungGemini, Nov 7, 2007.

1. YoungGemini

YoungGemini Geek

Jan 11, 2007

Advertisements

I had my M-Cable card installed on Monday. Since it was installed programs have been being recorded at all different qualities. I have my settings so that everything from non HD stations should be recorded in basic quality. Even the same program recorded off a season pass and recorded off a wishlist (I didn't realize a THD would record the same program twice if it had both a wishlist and a season pass until I set it up). The both the season pass and wishlist were recorded at the same time and one was high quality and the other was best quality. I checked both the season pass and wishlist are set for basic quality in the recording options.

Again, the THD recorded everything in basic quality for a week prior to the M-cable card being installed.

Anyone had this issue? Is it a known issue? Any resolved this issue?

Thanks for any help.

2. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    I would assume all of this is in the manual. If you record a digital channel, it records as is. There is no choice for quality. If it records an analog station, you can change the quality. Once you put cableCARDs in, almost every channel will now be the digital version, even though it uses the same channel number as the analog version.

3. TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    I think that when you get a CableCard installed, the Tivo can pick up digital simulcast channels (digital channels corresponding to the analog channels). If the digital channels are available, the Tivo records those instead of the analog channels.

4. YoungGemini

YoungGemini Geek

Jan 11, 2007
    Is there anyway to tell it to pick-up the analog version if available or to force it to downgrade the digital version?

Also why would it record the exact same program on the same channel at the same time in 2 different qualities?

Again one copy of the program was a wishlist and the other was a season pass.

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

No. The CableCards tell your boxes what channels are what.

Be aware that a quality setting in season pass options doesn't necessarily indicate the channel is analog. The quality setting is always there, the TiVo just ignores it for digital channels. If the actual recording lists the quality level (under the program duration and TV rating), then it is an analog channel; recordings from digital channels do not display a quality level.

The lower quality setting on the TiVo is intended to reduce space on recordings from analog channels at the expense of picture quality. That said, digital channels from cable tend to look better than analog channels recorded at TiVo's "Best" quality setting, even though they take about as much space as recordings on TiVo's "Medium" or "High" setting. That's because your Tivo uses a $10 chip to encode and compress analog signals into digital, and the quality of that $10 gear is obviously not as good as $$$$$ industrial gear used by the cable company.

Were you watching either program live? Or perhaps the TiVo was tuned to one of those channels? LiveTV is always displayed using the "best quality" setting. If you are watching a live program that has already begun, and then you click record, the buffer (which uses the best quality setting) is saved to the hard drive.

Are you sure the quality setting for the season pass and the wishlist were the same? Remember, TiVo lets you set a specific quality for every wishlist and season pass (used for recordings from analog channels).

6. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I've found that the digital versions of TV shows tend to take up as much space as a Basic/Medium analog show. I think you're better off recording the digital show as the quality is high and the space requirements are low.