Not Happy with Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by krypto, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Aug 3, 2007 #1 of 13
    krypto

krypto New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    I just bought my series 3. Got the re-furb (which is in PERFECT condition..btw) paid $499.

Of course, they come out with a cheaper model two weeks later. And looks like it does just about everything my expensive (to me) series 3 does.

Is it just me, or is anyone else bothered by Tivos business model? Even if u didn't just buy your tivo 3, it can't make u happy to see one that has the same features for so much less.

other companies make sure their models don't compete feature wise....tivo doesn't care

2. Aug 3, 2007 #2 of 13
    GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Tivo Pony =)!

Apr 10, 2002
    No, they don't make it so they don't compete... they usually make them better, and they cost less later, as well. This is the case with all computer hardware and consumer electronics. The TiVo Series 3 has been out for quite awhile, to boot.

3. Aug 3, 2007 #3 of 13
    nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Don't you have 30 days to return it?

I don't think a $200 premium for the space, display, remote, and THX certification is tremendous stretch. If that were the new price (not refurb) I'd probably go that way. May still...

4. Aug 3, 2007 #4 of 13
    MacBandit

MacBandit New Member

Aug 8, 2003

Tivo offers a one month trial. Just return it.

As for other industries not doing this I would say the entire electronics industry is this way.

5. Aug 3, 2007 #5 of 13
    alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    use the 30 day window, return it, and buy a tivo hd in its place. but first read the two threads in this forum started by chimpware.
    --
    Alan :D

6. Aug 3, 2007 #6 of 13
    kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    Could be worse, Dish really pushed their mpeg2 HD stock for a couple months right until they replaced them with mpeg4 HD. They even went as far as the CEO saying mpeg4 wasn't working out like they had hoped.

At least in this case its a inferior unit for less money.

7. Aug 3, 2007 #7 of 13
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    TiVo is, as we speak ,supposedly trying to clear their inventory of Series 2 DTs for a supposed new "Series 2" model based on the TiVoHD board.

8. Aug 3, 2007 #8 of 13
    Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    You think you're upset? Immagine the people who bought microsoft dual core and quad core processors right before July 22nd. They cut prices in half.

People were paying $400 for the Q600 and 24 hours later it was $200. Some people were paying 250 for the 1000MHZ FSB 2.4 GHZ Dual core and 24 hours later they could get the the 2.33GHZ 1333 FSB Dual core.

Technology works like that.

I financed my tivo S3 at 18 months on 0% interest (Best Buy). I still owe over $400 on it (I paid full retail right at release). I'm not complaining. That's what happens when you're an early adopter.

If you don't like being an early adopter, never buy the highest end model of any electronics gadget.

9. Aug 3, 2007 #9 of 13
    psyton

psyton New Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Intel is the one that is going to be upset upon hearing the news that Gates has evidently stolen their technology and started manufacturing processors...

10. TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Not only that, there has been speculation for close to a month that Tivo was releasing a $300 HD model. If the OP had done any research at all, he/she should have found that.

11. drew00001

drew00001 New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I was totally shocked at this new development. Microsoft Processors? Who would have thunk?

12. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    When a car maker releases a new year model that has production line changes/improvements and throws in a new feature or two for less than last year's price, do people whine like some of the folk here?

In many markets in the world, people prefer to bargain. Sometimes the seller is insulted if you don't try to bargain. Here we seem to delight in trying to trick the seller and then whine when someone else gets a better deal.

13. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Yeah, I think the OP is smoking something good - it is *normal* with technology for new models to be cheaper *and* better. It is hard to think of categories where that isn't the case.