Not good, what does this mean?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Rkkeller, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004

Advertisements

I have had some slight pixilation in some recordings the last couple weeks, then last night I got this message and my Bolt stopped working. It DID come back to life after sometime, but not sure if I should panic and get a new HD or this should have fixed what was wrong?

Anyone?

Rich

Attached Files:

2. Rkkeller

May 13, 2004
    This is the HD in it right now.

Attached Files:

3. Rkkeller

May 13, 2004
    I just got off the phone with TiVo support and doing some troubleshooting. My signal strength is fine, but my SNR was 36/37 and they say it should not be above 35 so they can't help me any further until I lower it. They said to call my cable company, but I really doubt being "1" over their max would cause this issue. They said I could not go any further with troubleshooting and to call back when I lowered it.

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Disregard what they told you. There is nothing wrong with that SNR. It's been in their script for ages and is flat BS. I typically run a 40 SNR. Higher SNR is generally better, it's just that a high SNR might be indicative of a signal strength that is too high. If your signal strength is between 90 and 100 you are fine.

5. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas

Advertisements

And still Tivo wants you to increase the noise in the signal and introduce an degraded signal into the device.

6. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    SNR will not cause that error, that's just rote script-reading BS.

That's the new version of the Green Screen of Death - a TiVo will display that when it's encountered corruption in the MFS file system while it attempts to repair it. This is generally indicative of a failing drive in Bolt units, especially the 3TB ones.

Rkkeller likes this.
  7. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    At least with Bolts it's "easy" enough to pop in a new hard drive, have it self format, and be on your way (minus any recordings you will have lost).

8. the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    The problem is getting non-shingled drives if you're using the old TE3 interface.

jlb likes this.
  9. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Ahhhh true

10. Rkkeller

May 13, 2004
    Any suggestions? I went through all their troubleshooting steps, even forced me to lower the SNR with a splitter, but they say I’m not eligible for warranty and there are no more Bolts.

So I have to upgrade to the Edga and lose lifetime, they won’t transfer it. They did offer discounts and stuff but it would still be $600.

The hard disks are hard to find for the good ones, I could get something cheap for $80. Should I just get anything and put in there and try it or should I just give up on TiVo and figure out something else, go back to cable DVRs?????

11. Rkkeller

May 13, 2004

Attached Files:

12. the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    According to this, that's a SMR (shingled) drive which might be problematic
    List of known SMR drives

you could try weakness for a replacement - TiVo Bolt, Bolt Plus, Bolt VOX, and Bolt OTA TiVo Upgrade Kits and Hard Drives

Also see:
    What is the favorite replacement hard drive in 2020?
    and
    List of drives that don't boot under TE4 21.x on Bolt

Good Luck!

13. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    FWIW I just had my 3TB Toshiba MQ drive die this week, but with other units in the house to take up the slack I just grabbed a Toshiba MQ03ABB200 2TB for $54 from Amazon and it will be here next week, it's a quick fix with a known good drive.

justen_m likes this.
  14. the_Skywise

the_Skywise Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Indianapolis...
    How old was the drive?

15. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    4 years old, I'm still running some tests on it outside the Bolt to see how bad it is before attempting a KS on it in the unit.
    So far I have one diagnostic all that flags it as failed with SMART issues, but a 2nd different tool has passed all the SMART tests and I have it running a full scan on the drive, it's about 20 hours in to a 24 hour test.

16. Rkkeller

May 13, 2004
  17. Rkkeller

May 13, 2004
    Order #XXXX was placed on November 26, 2020 and is currently Processing.

Order details
    Product Total
    HDHomeRun PRIME (P/N: HDHR3-CC) × 1 $199.99
    Subtotal: $199.99
    Discount: -$50.00
    Shipping: Free shipping
    Payment method: Credit Card
    Total: $149.99

18. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The drive ended up testing ok with extended tests, it's a dead motherboard and I was able to get an exchange on the Bolt for $249, and I have a spare 2TB 2.5" toshiba on the way as a spare.

the_Skywise likes this.