Not getting some HBO channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ignavia, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ignavia

ignavia 4 8 15 16 23 42

Oct 4, 2004
    South Louisiana

Advertisements

My Premieres recently stopped receiving some of the HBOs. I get HBO and HBO Latino in SD, and HBO and HBO2 in HD (the only ones available in HD in my area), but no others.

Cox tried to fix it and said it would require a truck roll, but if it was a problem with my equipment, I'd be charged. I'm just trying to avoid a fee, is there any chance this is a problem with my boxes?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What does the cable card menu say on the card's status?

You may need to have the cable co perform a maintenance, reset or some kind of re-initialization 'hit'.

3. jayn_j

jayn_j New Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Have you tried cycling power throughout the system? This can often be a problem where the tuning adapter stops responding (assuming you have one). It happens to me about every 2 weeks and the answer is to do a hard reset on both the Premiere and the TA.

If not, try some CSR roulette. You need to get to tier 3 customer support and find someone who is familiar with cablecards. Quite often there is an authorization problem that gets lost in the system, and they just need to change authorizations and hit the box. Can be done without a truck roll.

They are just trying to make you go away by scaring you with the truck roll cost. If you keep calling, they will know that didn't work and likely fix the problem just to make you go away.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I recently lost some channels, and apparently the cablecard was not properly seated for a few years. Over time the contacts oxidized and lost a few channels. Reseating the card addressed the issue 100%.

5. ignavia

ignavia 4 8 15 16 23 42

Oct 4, 2004
    South Louisiana

Advertisements

Ok... I'm hoping this is not as obvious as it seems. Could the lesser SD HBOs be on SDV? I had previously disconnected the TA on the the box in our bedroom trying to troubleshoot another issue, and I hadn't reconnected it because we didn't care about any of the SDV channels.

The box up front still has a TA attached, and I swear I remember having HBO problems on it too, but now they're fine. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Anyhow, I unplugged the TiVo, reseated the CableCARD for good measure, reconnected the TA, and powered everything back up. (Hope I did the TA right...)

We'll see in a few minutes.

Thanks!

Edit: Well, everything's working now. On more than one occasion, I had a Cox rep rattle off a list of SDV channels in my area. Never did I hear HBO anything. And when I called the last time, you'd think the TA would be an obvious troubleshooting step.

Either way, thanks everybody.

6. ignavia

ignavia 4 8 15 16 23 42

Oct 4, 2004
    South Louisiana
    Ok, wtf? It's broken again. Everything was working fine as I mentioned, we left for a little while, and came back to the same stupid message on the HBOs.

As for the CableCARD status... you want me to type all that up? It's a screen full of info.

7. ignavia

ignavia 4 8 15 16 23 42

Oct 4, 2004
    South Louisiana
    Ok, I tried things one at a time this time.

Rebooted the TiVo... nothing.
    Reseated the CableCARD (while the TiVo was running)... nothing.
    Rebooted the TA (again while the TiVo was running)... SUCCESS!

So my conclusion is that I have a flaky Motorola TA and that the SD HBOs are SDV. Sound logical?

8. tivaulo

tivaulo Member

Apr 24, 2008
    I'm having the same problem with some HBO channels as well. But I don't know how to reboot the TA. Is it some menu item I haven't seen?

BTW, I'm with TW not Cox.

9. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Pull its plug for a few.

10. tivaulo

tivaulo Member

Apr 24, 2008
    huh? I guess I don't have a tuning adapter...

I thought it was something integrated with the cable card, but after some looking around I realized it is a separate box, which I don't have.

So my problem is most likely due to TW moving some of the HBO channels to SDV and me not having a TA. Does it make sense?

11. ignavia

ignavia 4 8 15 16 23 42

Oct 4, 2004
    South Louisiana
    Makes sense to me. My TA had been disconnected for a while. Plugged it in, got HBO back. If you call them, they should be able to tell you which channels are on SDV.