not getting rid of tivo!!!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by hoopsrgreat, Sep 30, 2007.

1. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    california

Advertisements

I have the H10 HD receiver in my game room. I have the Hr20 in my living room, and I have the hr10-250 in my bedroom. I dont really care if I can not get ANY new HD channels. When I am in my room in bed watching TV, I simply can not do without the DLB function on the tivo. Id rather watch the NFL netword, CNN, and any other channel in SD and be able to switch. Probably not until they move the NFL games to mpg4 can they get me to give up the tivo.

Just add DLB to ALL future DVRs, or dont make a new one. I have gotten so accustomed to the DLB that I cant even imagine not having them in my bedroom.

Long live the tivo.

2. Oct 1, 2007 #2 of 71
    fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
    +1

3. Oct 1, 2007 #3 of 71
    yoV6cam

yoV6cam Big AL

Dec 28, 2001
    Yonkers, NY
    bravo!

4. Oct 1, 2007 #4 of 71
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    So when it has DLB then you'll switch? It may not be that long of a wait.

5. Oct 1, 2007 #5 of 71
    fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005

Advertisements

Hope springs eternal huh.

6. Oct 1, 2007 #6 of 71
    hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    california
    I already have the hr20 in my living room..... I dont switch between channels out there.... or lets say, it isnt as big a deal in the LR.

But if the hr20 had DLB, then yes, id put it in the BR.

Until then, ill do without the new hD channels in the br.

7. Oct 1, 2007 #7 of 71
    fredflint

fredflint New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    I just canceled my install of the new HD DVR. I, too can't seem to part ways just yet with my beloved TIVO. DLB is the only way to watch live football on two channels simultaneously.

8. Oct 1, 2007 #8 of 71
    Cudahy

Cudahy New Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Cudahy,...
    It's October, when is Malone taking over Directv? We're happy with the dozen HD channels we've got now. It may be a few months before we know for sure whether Malone will offer Tivo lovers an option for HD.
    More & more programs are masked on SciFi, History, Natl Geog, etc so you can zoom them on HD screens to get undistorted full screens that look very good.
    Going from increasingly high quality SD to HD isn't that big a deal. A LOT of people don't even know which they're actually looking at.

9. Oct 1, 2007 #9 of 71
    hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    california
    I have a 42 inch plasma HD hanging on my wall in my gameroom. I have a 61 inch Samsung dlp HD TV in my living room, and I have a 32 inch Philips HD CRT tv in my bedroom. Trust me, teh HD looks much better on all of them. When I watch NFL football, I cant even stand to watch it in SD.

That being said, it simply is not worth watching cnn or other shows that HD is not as important on if it means giving up DLB.

Once you get used to DLB, you simply can not go back. I can not believe that a new "state of the art" DVR was even put on the drawing board without DLB.

Maybe the next gen dvr will have them?? we'll see

10. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I quickly got used to not having DLB, found that while I used it a lot it simply wasn't missed when not available, now I don't use it on the Tivo's either

Either the HRxx's will get DLB or all the HD stuff you watch will require an HR before too long I suspect.

Are you aware that the supposed reason it does not have DLB is because TIVO has some kind of patent on it and hence it cannot appear in a DirecTV only system - so you can't really blame the designers (at least this is what someone else reported here)

11. michaelp95

michaelp95 New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Marana, AZ
    I'm curious about something if someone can answer. Does the HD Tivo unit upconvert the SD channels to HD like? I just bought a new LCD HDTV and have the DSR-60000 SD tivo and the picture is very grainy. My dad has a Plasma HDTV with the basic DTV HD box and all the SD channels look great, I think that box will upconvert the signal correct? I hate the thought of giving up a DTV TIVO, if the HD will upconvert I think I would rather have that then the DTV non tivo unit.

12. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    california
    I have a hard time believing that a DLB is some kind of tivo patent. TVs had 2 tuners in them a long time ago.

And while you have gotten used to no DLB, I get pissed everytime I am in my living room watching the HR20 and want to pause the show im watching and switch over.

I havent and will not likely get used to not having them.

13. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Well you obviously won't if you don't want to - right ?

14. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    california
    No offense, but what the heck does that mean? I like woman... I cant just stop liking woman and start liking men. No matter how much I think it might be easier to not like woman:)

I like DLB, kind of like liking Coke. You cant just decide to not like something.

15. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    If any of you guys that are sticking with TiVo want an HDRV2 let me know. I've got two and I'm not using them anymore.

tk

16. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    I finally found a use for my HR20, I set it on top of my HR10 and have it set to only show HD channels. I use my Tivo to record everything and to watch football. The DLB, slow motion, and 30 skip are a must to watch TV especally football.

So far the HR20 gets very little viewing time. I use it to surf HD channels and occassionally stop and watch CNNHD. Some of the HD channels are stretched and many more do not always show HD. As more HD channels become available, we shall see if the HR20 gets more viewing time.

Just a note, I am on my 3rd refurbished HR20 with the original install date of Aug. Good thing I had my Tivo!

17. Cudahy

Cudahy New Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Cudahy,...
    All of the baseball playoff games in HD on channel 95 for HDtivo subscribers is a hopeful sign that we're not going to be thrown out soon. It looks like they've got the space to continue the dozen HD channels on mpeg2. They're still adding channels that few people will watch.
    There's less urgency for a new Tivo-Directv deal allowing a TivoHD that gets mpeg4.
    I was surprised to see a half hour ad on Directv last night promoting the SDtivo. Looks like the switch to HD is going to continue taking a long, long time.

18. joed32

joed32 New Member

Jul 9, 2005
    A very long time!

19. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I doubt it. It has been confirmed that Sunday Ticket will be off MPEG2 after this year. Extra Innings will be MPEG4 next year.

I think you are just seeing an overlap because the new stuff just launched.

20. sjberra

sjberra New Member

May 16, 2005
    Suspect it is more that they have to finish the current subscriptions out, then next year it will be MPEG4 only