Not for the Hearing impaired

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by workingstiff, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1 of 14
    workingstiff

workingstiff New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Southwest USA

Advertisements

Hi All:mad::eek::thumbsdown:

I wanted to pass on a lesson I learned this weekend.

I got to the point of trying out that great deal between TiVo and Amazon, I decided to download two (2) movies so I could watch the Bourne series from the beginning.

Well most of you can only imagine my surprise and disappointment to find out that downloads do not include "Closed Captioning"! For me the entertainment lacked.... substance!!! Like the words!!!!!

I e-mailed Amazon and was further disappointed to find out that there is no expectation to include captioning!

So, since there is no warning anywhere, and lots of HYPE on the TiVO download, let this be a warning!!

NOT FOR THE HEARING IMPAIRED!!

TiVO! TiVo! Did you not consider?!
    :eek::mad::thumbsdown:

2. Jan 8, 2008 #2 of 14
    curlyroller

curlyroller New Member

May 24, 2007
    wow. that seems like a huge oversight. i'm sorry.

3. Jan 9, 2008 #3 of 14
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    If you had researched thoroughly (on these boards), you would have discovered that was the case. It's been discussed at length for months. Should not have been a surprise. It's been discussed a lot...and that's one reason I refuse to use Unbox.

4. Jan 9, 2008 #4 of 14
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Just curious...Are closed captions included in other movie download services?

5. Jan 9, 2008 #5 of 14
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida

Advertisements

Generally, we folks reliant on Closed Captions get the shaft. Netflix doesn't support Closed Captions either. This is what is being done about it:

6. Jan 9, 2008 #6 of 14
    flatcurve

flatcurve New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Chicago
    The technology is possible, as is evidenced in Matroska and OGM files. VLC player even handles seperate closed captioning files that can be associated with a given video file and display the proper text based on a time stamp.

It sort of amazes me that they're dragging their feet on this issue when it's totally possible and has been in use for a while now.

7. Jan 9, 2008 #7 of 14
    TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    I apologize for the problem. While the FAQs at both TiVo's and Amazon's sites do disclose that Closed Captioning is not available for Amazon Unbox downloads (whether to a PC or to a TiVo DVR), I understand that some customers may expect them to present and may not have read the FAQs.

Please contact Amazon regarding your experience.

This is definitely something we would like to see supported, but at present time, the files that Amazon receives from the content providers do not include caption data at all.

My apologies again.

Best regards,
    Stephen

8. Jan 9, 2008 #8 of 14
    gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Stephen,
    Where are these support pages disclosing the captioning unavailability? I can't find an authoritative page on either Amazon's or TiVo's sites specifically stating that captioning data isn't available. Here are the pages and searches I checked before posting:

http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/domore/movieandtvdownloads/faqs.html
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200111510
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+captioning+site%3Aamazon.com&btnG=Search
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...&q=unbox+captioning+site:tivo.com&btnG=Search
    I see one reference to TiVo Desktop not supporting caption data on TTG files on a pc, on the tivo support site, but nothing about Unbox captioning on either site (except for Amazon customer comments and tivo support forum posts).

Btw, thanks as always for the time you take for the community, please don't feel personally attacked by my question. I'd just like to be able to point to these pages for others, if and when the need arises.

9. Jan 9, 2008 #9 of 14
    Mars Rocket

Mars Rocket Loosely wound

Mar 24, 2000
    Sinnoh region
    Add me to the list of people who will never use downloaded or streamed video content if it doesn't include some form of captions or subtitles. I'm used to this situation by now, though, and never actually had any expectation that Unbox movies would include such a thing. :(

10. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    +1.

There are prolly more of us than the content creators realize, but it's kinda like "everyone who's not here raise your hand". They don't see us, we just quietly don't download, so we aren't counted.

:(

11. netsurfer

netsurfer New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    A suggestion. Do like my dad. Wire a small speaker to the TV and put it on the end table near the seated position. Works great. Speaker 2 feet away.

12. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    For many hearing impaired people, volume is not the issue.

13. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    Hi gonzotek,

Thanks for pointing this out. This information was on the general Unbox FAQ on the TiVo support site, but for some reason (starting about a month ago) that page was not being displayed in searches -- so I'm not surprised you didn't find it. I've had our support team correct that issue, and you can now search for it again.

The article is here:
    http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/LaunchContent.aspx?CID=D428E982-9D01-441A-9798-1F2A9B9BA77C

It includes this question:
    For Amazon's site, I recall reviewing a FAQ they had that included this information, but you're right, it's not present currently. I will send a request to my Amazon counterparts to make sure that information is included.

Sorry for the trouble.

Best regards,
    Stephen

14. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    Cheers, Stephen, thanks for the reply and thanks for having the support page fixed.