Not enough room for recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by abbyqueue, Sep 10, 2007.

1. abbyqueue

abbyqueue New Member

May 17, 2007

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a total TiVo freak.

I preface my post with that comment so that you'll understand when I say that I have about 75 series recordings on my TiVo. That said, when I go to schedule a new show, my TiVo will often inform me that it will not be recording other shows in the future because there will be no space for them. I agree to this, of course, because I know that by the time the new recordings roll around, I will have watched some of the shows that were already recorded in the meantime, thus making room for the other shows.

My question is: once I have scheduled the new recording and, days down the line, have watched and deleted what I normally do and thus have room for recording, does TiVo remember my old shows that it said it couldn't record because there wouldn't be space?

To simplify, I know TiVo is simply looking into the future and telling me that "Hey, if you tell me to record everything between now and then and you don't delete anything, I'm telling you that there won't be enough space two weeks from now to record your shows." Does TiVo remember and reschedule my shows to be recorded once I have made space?

I always forget to check. Anyway, I'm paranoid that I'm missing shows.

I know, I know -- I should just trust TiVo... :)

2. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Don't "Save Until I delete" and you won't get those messages.

3. abbyqueue

abbyqueue New Member

May 17, 2007
    I don't have a problem with getting the messages. I just want to know if TiVo reschedules my recordings after I've made room.

4. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    You'll get a message to the effect, to delete old programs to record your new request... Otherwise Tivo will tell you there is not enough space to record any new programing... Thus it will not schedule any reecordings until you make the room for new ones...
    Sounds like you too need a larger hard drive..

5. abbyqueue

abbyqueue New Member

May 17, 2007

Advertisements

I am well aware that I'll get a message. If you look at my original post, I get the messages. I'm OK with getting the messages.

All I need to know is if TiVo remembers to reschedule my recordings once I've made room.

And no, I don't need a bigger hard drive.

6. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    from my experience, no the recordings will not take place... One way to find out for sure would pay close attention to your..."To Do List"... Check what programs are scheduled to record...

7. Cookala

Cookala New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I know exactly what you mean. I have a 35 hour recorder (!) and run into that message frequently. "If you record this program, other recordings may be deleted early and some programs may not record." However, today was the first time I have been told it "will NOT record: (example) Damages ~ Does not have enough disk space." YIKES. I came to this forum to see if there is a way to transfer the important programs I've saved on the DVR to a DVD recorder/player. I would be interested in knowing if (in my case) Damages will record after all if I delete some of the others before it airs.

8. abbyqueue

abbyqueue New Member

May 17, 2007
    Yes, that's the message I normally get: "Will NOT record (insert show title) - Does not have enough disk space."

But I know I'll have enough disk space by the time that recording rolls around because I'll have deleted most of the shows on the TiVo, so I agree to the message. Does TiVo remember to reschedule my recording?

9. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    If the show comes on again...

10. abbyqueue

abbyqueue New Member

May 17, 2007
    No, I'm talking about the original airing of the show that I had set to record.

For example, let's say I set ER to record in two weeks. I then set another show to record between now and ER. The message pops up saying, "Will NOT record ER [in two weeks] -- Does not have enough disk space." You then have the option of agreeing and scheduling the new recording, or you can cancel the new recording and keep the old one (ER).

By the time the airing of ER rolls around in two weeks, I'll have plenty of disk space because I will have watched most of my shows and deleted them. Does TiVo remember to reschedule my recording of ER on that date as soon as disk space becomes available? Or once it's deleted (when I scheduled the new recording to record), it's deleted for good?

11. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    When I first got a TiVo I didn't quite understand the nuances of TiVo and was getting those messages all the time.

I don't recall a program ever not recording by the time it came for it to record,
    as there was always many programs watched and deleted so plenty of room to record.

I used to have everything "save until I delete" and learned that isn't necessary.
    Since I changed most everything to "save until space needed" I haven't seen that message,
    and I've never had a show deleted before I could watch it.

phox

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I know I read a thread the other day with this question, but dang if I can remember. :eek:

I think the consensus on this was "yes, but keep an eye on your To Do List just in case".

Good luck. :)

13. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Gah! Just answer the question people!

Season Passes and Auto-recording Wishlists always reschedule when new space becomes available. (But note that the automatic rescheduling process may take up to an hour--- if you free up space for a program coming up in 15 minutes it probably won't work)

If it is a one-time recording, i.e. not part of a Season Pass or Auto-Recording Wishlist, it will NOT be rescheduled when room becomes available.

This is the main reason why we recommend not overusing "Keep Until I Delete." Remember that tivo only deletes programs when space is actually required, and the little notice that such-and-such a program MAY be deleted at such and such a time doesn't mean that it will be. I've had (!) programs on my tivo for years.

14. abbyqueue

abbyqueue New Member

May 17, 2007
    Thank you!