1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Connected to Internet

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by junesen, Oct 26, 2018.

1. junesen

junesen Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Colorado
    I have been getting "Your TiVo is not connected to the Internet" (or something like that) on and off for the last year or so. When I test the connection, it never fails (but still claims that it is not connected). I put it to sleep and wake it up and everything is back to normal.

Related to this (I think) is when I connect to other Roamios in my house, it shows up in low definition (480p). I believe (but not sure) that means that the other Roamios have the "Your TiVo is not connected to the Internet" problem.

Anybody else have this same problem?

mattack likes this.
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Known issue. (e.g.)

Change your DVR power settings to prevent the DVRs from automatically entering Standby mode, and avoid putting them into Standby manually.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    p.s. If/when this happens, you may want to see if the "UI Refresh" remote sequence helps restore functionality, to avoid restarts.

From TiVo Central, try:

Thumbs Down
    Thumbs Up
    Play
    Play​

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Kinda insane that this bug hasn’t been fixed in a year. Doesn’t bode well...

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    This was the other reason I wanted Hydra on one Roamio. It doesn't have the problem.

krkaufman likes this.
  6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow.. I don't remember seeing any of the previous discussions. I actually thought it was flaky internet at my house..

7. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Oh, and "testing" my internet connection, while it succeeds, DOESN'T actually make the Tivo realize it's really connected.. even doing a daily call doesn't.. It just "eventually" realizes it.. or if I connect TO it from my OTHER Tivo (connected to the same router), that seems to make it wise up.

8. Dago Red

Dago Red Active Member TCF Club

Oct 22, 2002
    Parsippany, NJ
    Also still waiting for these issues to be fixed.
    In the meantime, the way I get the internet connection to be recognized again is to go out to live TV (Live TV button) and then back into the Main Menu (TiVo button).
    Always seems to correct the problem for me.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Have you tried the UI Refresh sequence as an alternative?

10. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    No, but I'll make a note of it.. Though I haven't had the other 'hang' problem in a while (it used to be I would OFTEN but not always hang my Roamio if I tried to QUICKLY go to the bottom and connect to my other Tivo.. it would hang until it timed out to live TV)..

so I'll make a note, and try it the next time I see it. I *do* want my Tivo to sleep though, even though people claim it really doesn't save much power.. (I want it to also help miss some emergency tests.. though I'm awake for them sometimes, like last night at 1)

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A TiVo that is recording will ignore EAS tests on that channel. But they are quite loud.

12. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I did it over the weekend, and it DID work around the issue! Yeah.

Though I forgot one thing -- I THINK even connected directly to my router (not through my flaky switch), my PS4 does a similar thing (I turn it on only every couple of weeks).. I get a bunch of "Ethernet cable not connected" alerts, which it seems to have banked up since _at that moment_ it seems to be connected. I haven't turned it on in the past week or so.. I should do that by this weekend..

So if the PS4 is doing a similar thing, I really AM having flaky net sometimes -- but both of them seem to be actually complaining about "past" flaky net, not currently.. esp if the UI refresh on Tivo fixed it (on the tivo obviously).