Not complaining, but why is Mini working on MoCA with no adapter?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by billdz, Mar 16, 2021.

1. billdz

billdz Member

May 14, 2015

Advertisements

I have a Roamio and a Mini. I've read in several places that they cannot be connected via MoCA without a MoCA adapter or a MoCA enabled router, and I don't have either. But both the Roamio and the Mini are working fine. I'm not complaining but how is this possible?

My setup: 3-way Splitter and MoCA PoE filter at input, one line to cable modem (Xfinity internet), second line to Roamio, third line to Mini. The cable modem (TP-Link TC-7610) connects to a router (TP-Link Archer AC900), but there is no wired connection between the router and either Tivo or either TV.

Under MoCA Settings, the Roamio is set to Set up as Client, Auto, no encryption.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    That sounds like it's working as designed.
    The Roamio [edit: Plus or Pro] is designed to work as a MoCa bridge - so it can both provide TiVo streams to a MoCA connected Mini and also bridge local network/internet traffic between Ethernet/WiFi and MoCA.

The Mini is designed to work as a MoCA client. It can received TiVo streams and network and internet connection over MoCA (or it can also do so over Ethernet). But it cannot act as a bridge. So if you connected it via MoCA and Ethernet it (unlike the Roamio) can't transfer data/traffic between those two network types.

You'd only need a MoCA adapter or MoCA enabled router for that setup if the Roamio [edit: Plus or Pro] iwasn't somewhere you could use it to bridge between your home Ethernet or WiFi network and the MoCA network. In that case you'd need some other device (the MoCA adapter or router) to get your local network, with it's internet connectivity, onto the MoCA network for both the Roamio and Mini to consume.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    stevewjackson likes this.
  3. billdz

billdz Member

May 14, 2015
    Thanks, good to know.

4. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    The type of Roamio matters. 6-tuner Roamio Plus/Pro have built-in MoCA support. 4-tuner Roamio have no built-in MoCA.

5. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...

Advertisements

Good point. I'd forgotten about the 4-tune Roamio units: the Roamio OTA (over the air antenna only; so it makes sense not having MoCA as it doesn't support digital cable) and the base level Roamio (which can be set to to do either digital cable or OTA; which I'm a bit surprised to hear lacks MoCA support).

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Except:
    So, yeah, first thing to check/confirm is whether the Roamio has an Ethernet connection to the router (either directly or via a network switch).

Or maybe TiVo finally updated the software to support MoCA/WiFi bridging. ;)
    A MoCA/Ethernet bridge connected to a router’s LAN would necessarily bridge traffic for any devices WiFi-connected to the LAN, but no TiVo device directly bridges between MoCA and wireless — unless, as joked, something drastic has changed with a recent software update.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Of course, if you find that the DVR lacks an Ethernet connection to your router, it’s possible that both you and a neighbor lack MoCA filters at your cable signal points-of-entry (PoE) ... and both of your TiVo’s are MoCA clients to your neighbor’s MoCA network.

Do your TiVo boxes show up as clients in your TP-Link router? What are the IP addresses of your TiVo boxes, and how do those compare to the IP address range managed by your TP-Link router? What does the Mini’s Network Status dialog report for MoCA statistics (# of nodes, MAC addresses, etc)?

Can you stream any content from your Roamio to the TiVo app on your mobile device?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  8. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    My guess is that the Xfinity modem is creating the MoCA which would make sense given that all devices are connected via coax.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Except:
    Neither of these devices have a built-in MoCA bridge.

10. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    All Xfinity modems/gateways have MoCA now and it’s possible the poster does not realize it. Unless they are using a device that is 5+ years old.

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    See prior post quoting the OP, in which they list the model #s for their customer-owned modem and router. They don’t have a leased gateway.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  12. PSU_Sudzi

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Missed that point! Ok next possibility, could the modem and router be connected via an Ethernet cable? If that’s the case does the same bridging apply? The OP did not make it clear from my reading how the modem and router connect to each other.

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The modem and router would necessarily be connected via an Ethernet patch cable, but that would only be to supply the router with the WAN connection. There’s no coax port on the router and there’s no LAN presence on the modem ... so no possibility of built-in MoCA bridging for the LAN.

It’s likely that the DVR *is* connected via Ethernet ... or a couple households are missing “PoE” MoCA filters.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.