"Not Authorized"

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by jncraig, Feb 20, 2005.

1. jncraig

jncraig New Member

Feb 13, 2005

Advertisements

I can transfer files from my Tivo to my PC with no problem. But ... when I try playing the files, I get a message that I'm not authorized to view the file.

I absolutely have the right media access key and playback password.

I'm downloading the files to computer A but playing back on computer B (connected to the network) using Microsoft Media Player 10.

Any ideas?

2. billb914

billb914 New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    you did install the tivo desktop (or at least the dll that allows for the tivo decoding) on the second pc, right?

3. jncraig

jncraig New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Yep!

(must the server actually be running at the time you playback?)

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    No, but you should re-enter your MAK and playback password in the Tivo Desktop app. It is probably either wrong or was never entered.

5. jncraig

jncraig New Member

Feb 13, 2005

Advertisements

The error message says that the program was transferred using a different media access key than is in my Windows account. But ... I can transfer to either machine and that would seem to indicate that I've got the key right on both machines, no? And ... there's only one key ...

6. jncraig

jncraig New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    I've re-entered the MAK and playback password several times. To no avail ...

7. Wildwood72

Wildwood72 New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    I had been getting that same message - I tried re-entering the MAK and a playback password, tried re-installing the Desktop, tried uninstalling Tivo Desktop and deleting everything Tivo from my registry, tried just transferring shows through web access, tried creating a new user and installing Tivo Desktop for that user...

It's been 2 weeks. What finally worked is letting Tivo Desktop install and set up the folder for transfers to the default location (C drive).

I have a much emptier second hard-drive, which I had previously directed Tivo Desktop to use for the transfers, but that seems to be a problem on my system (XP home, SP 2). Even now that I can get a (new) transfer to play on my C drive, if I move it to my secondary hard drive, it won't play. Also, files that I had previously transferred directly from the Tivo to my second hard drive will still not play even if I move them to the C drive.

Looks like I'll have to somehow clear space on the C drive.

Thanks to everyone who posts on this forum - I've only ever been lurking, but you guys kept me going. It was another post here that made me try installing to the default location...

Not sure how this might apply to your situation, but I hope it helps someone!

8. impster

impster New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    I've had the same problems with the "invalid MAK" errors... video will play for a bit, then pop up the error and stop.

I am in the middle of repartitioning my split hard rive (small-ish OS partition with huge data partition) in an attempt to second this as a fix. I'll reply here with the results :)

(fingers crossed)
    Gotta get Stargate onto DVD before I run out of Tivo space...

Imp

9. impster

impster New Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Well, nuking the Win XP Pro install and reinstalling everything on a single partition, with the default file locations resulted in the exact same problem.

1) repartition/format drive as NTFS
    2) install XP Pro, drivers, get all updates (SP2)
    3) install cyberlink PowerDVD v6 (DVD playback verified)
    4) install Tivo Desktop v2.0 (default locations, type in MAK and password)
    5) transfer a recording over
    6) play recording via play button in Tivo Desktop
    7) 14 seconds into video, informs me that the MAK doesn't match

I used to be able to get about 15mins into the playback before getting the MAK doesn't match error, now it's even worse. So I did some more...

8) Re-enter MAK and password in Tivo Desktop... same problem
    9) created a new user and re-install all software... same problem

I'm giving up until an acual fix for the error is posted or an update from Tivo comes down the line. bleh.

Imp

10. jncraig

jncraig New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    I deleted the Tivo desktop, reinstalled it, used the standard file folders, and then downloaded several programs from my Tivo. When played, each of the programs showed the "not authorized" message.

Oh ... when I reinstalled Tivo Desktop, it said that I didn't have a codec ... but I certainly do. Is it possible that this error is codec dependent? That would seem odd ...

11. agnOstos

agnOstos New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    I had that problem when I was going to the tivo site to retrieve my MAK. I would copy and then paste and it wouldn't work. When I actually typed what was on the tivo site it worked just fine. It seemed to me the tivo site had an extra hidden character or something in it when I was trying to copy and paste it. /me shrugs

12. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    I am getting this as well. Shows downloaded on one pc will not play back on another.

13. freeagent21

freeagent21 New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    I'm in the same boat. I get the following error with Windows XP Pro:

"You are not authorized to play this recording. It was transferred using a different media access key than the one in your Windows account. For help, see the application you used to transfer the TiVO recording from your TiVO DVR."

I've removed the desktop software re-entered the MAK all with no luck. This is actually the only post that I've been able to find that has outlined this issue.

14. tytooluser

tytooluser New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Yep, I'm getting the same error message. I've tried all of the same things, and I'm running XP SP1.

Is anyone from TiVo going to address this issue, since it seems to be effecting a growing number of people?

15. mgar

mgar New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    San Joaquin...
    I get the same message intermittently. Usually if I reboot the problem will go away for a while. Also, the initial load time into WMP takes a long time (approx. 10 min. for a 30 min show).

16. Flappjakk

Flappjakk New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    This is happening to me too. I don't want to copy all this crap to my C drive. Does TiVo acknowledge this problem?

17. robertgp124

robertgp124 Ordinary Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    I have been battling this problem. I went through a long troubleshooting process with Tivo. I finally got hold of another computer having done virtually everything that was outlined above (remove Tivo Desktop, reinstall Desktop, reinstall Windows, change router, change wireless adapter on Tivo, get Tivo to issue new MAK, etc). When I got a different computer and started from scratch, that seemed to work.

I am suspicious that there is a problem with my ethernet card or a setting with the card that is causing a corruption in the transfer. I am going to work with this problem this evening and see.

I am sympathetic to Tivo in this instance because this issue with the MAK key seems rather odd and unpredictable. I think it is something oddball with the ethernet card because I had an issue with downloaded software (MyDVD) claiming a corruption.

I'm going to move the file from the one computer to the other now and see if it will play there as well.

18. robertgp124

robertgp124 Ordinary Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    When I transferred the show using a different computer, I was able to successfully watch the show on my original machine. I'm checking now and transferring another program to see if using a different ethernet card on the original machine I had trouble with will do the trick.

19. Flappjakk

Flappjakk New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Not only is this a problem for me during playback, but if I try to burn the movie to DVD using the Sonic Trial, it gets started with its process then gives the same error message. Luckily it didn't start burning the DVD then give up. I've also tried converting the .tivo file to a .mpg file, which yeilds the same results.

It looks like using the default location for transfers worked for one guy, then didn't for another, has anyone else tried doing this? If so can you post your results?

20. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    If you can't watch the show, you can't burn w/ Sonic, it asks you for your playback password once each time it's loaded up. So if you can't watch it, you can't burn it.