1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Northern Exposure revival in the works

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dylanemcgregor, Nov 21, 2018.

1. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Looks like they are working on this with Rob Morrow and much of the rest of the original cast.

Was one of my favorite shows back in the day, and I was one of the few people who really liked how bizarre some of the episodes got in the last season, so I'm hoping this one makes it out of development.

2. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I'm interested enough that I'd check out an episode or two, but don't know that I'd stick with it for all that long after that. That said, it would be interesting to see how things have progressed in Cicely.

And man, just looking up (again, as I wanted to confirm somethings before commenting much more) info on the show and being reminded that the show came out originally in 1990. That seems both recent and ancient at the same time.

tim1724 and stellie93 like this.
  3. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Interesting, I'd watch it. I watched the original but don't remember a lot about it.

4. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    As long as Morrow and Brand are involved I'll definitely watch it. Is the original streaming anywhere (free)?

5. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    It's not streaming anywhere, possibly for the same reason most of us were dissatisfied with the DVDs: Universal didn't pay for the rights to all of the great music selected by "Chris-In-The-Morning" for the background of many scenes. They replaced a lot of it with elevator music! Can't believe they did that; the music is as essential to this show as any living breathing character. The second round of DVDs released about 10 years ago may have improved this situation a bit, but not enough to silence complaints.

I think the Region 2 (UK/Australia) Blu-ray release may include all the music again though, and it's in HD (or as close to HD as they can get an old TV show), so there is hope for those of us in the US — if you've got a multiregion Blu-ray player, and if you're willing to pay the price and shipping. They went out of stock in just a few months, and the price has been rising on eBay. I'm thinking about it though.

VegasVic and Mikeguy like this.
  6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    People here have explained the music rights/repeats--reissues situation to me, but I keep on coming back to, in my mind, what a malpractice by a show's producers not to have tied the music rights down up-front (what, you want to negotiate later when you're seen as successful and flush with cash?).

7. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    Seeing as to how DVD's didn't even exist until the end of this series, I don' think it was too irresponsible of the producers to neglect the music rights issues for potential DVD sales of the series. It is doubtful it would have ever been released on VHS or LaserDisc.

8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Why? VHS was the format of the day, and content routinely was issued on it. And before VHS, there were records. This has been going on for a long time, in one form or another. The equivalent would be "forgetting" to contract with one of the actors in a series for the right to display the performance of that actor in the future.

I know lawyers--heck, I've even slept with some (I think--there must have been 1 in there). And it doesn't take any far-seeing lawyer to write a far-reaching rights clause--one sees them commonly, and that's what corporate and licensing lawyers do, in part ("you hereby grant us the right to your invention until the end of time, in all geographies both terrestrial and extra-terrestrial").

9. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It was rare for TV shows to be released on VHS. While I’m sure they could’ve futureproofed contracts, it would’ve cost money for the rights with no obvious return on the investment.

10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I'll take your opinion; but with the addition that, this is something that lawyers do all the time and where they earn their ridiculously-high billing rates (and once something hits, it becomes a form clause/contract)--and if something doesn't have value at the time, that almost makes it sound like it could have been achieved at little or no cost. Again, it just seems short-sighted to me. (But also, I'm not in the industry--ignorance is bliss. ;) )

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think the fact that nobody seems to have seen this coming (note the other shows that have the exact same problem when home video comes along...WKRP is the classic example) suggests that home video simply wasn't on the radar until very late. I suspect that in the VHS era, the thinking was that home video was a very low-return niche thing that wasn't worth spending any money on...and until DVD came along, they would have been exactly right. I really don't think anybody saw how revolutionary DVD would be, even when it started. It filled a need that nobody even knew existed.

12. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Ah, if only I had been there at the time, with my prescience. Coulda made a fortune with my clause. ;) (And gotten a raft-load of clients for thinking of this.)

13. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    They did figure out how to make some money off the music at the time: by releasing a couple of CDs (and cassettes, OMG), "Northern Exposure: Music From The Television Series" and "More Music From Northern Exposure".

14. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    And it's an excellent CD.

I'm totally in for this reboot.

VegasVic likes this.
  15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    One of my favorite shows of the 1990s (the last season was a bit out there, but I still enjoyed it. Glad Morrow is interested in doing the project since he mostly left by the end, as it looked like he had a budding movie career that ultimately never really took off. I'd be really looking forward to watching

VegasVic and tim1724 like this.
  16. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Morrow probably used some of his first post-Northern Exposure film roles to save his career from typecasting, playing for example a strong silent type instead. It seems to me that led directly to his lead role in the hit series Numb3rs, which ran from 2005 to 2010 with 118 episodes vs. NE's 110. Having gotten there, he may have felt confident enough about his demonstrated range to reappear as a doctor in The Bucket List. He walked into the hospital room shared by Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, and we immediately cried "Hey, it's Joel!!!". :) And we realized we missed Joel.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    tim1724 likes this.
  17. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm a bit leery of this. Well, REALLY leery. NL was a lightning-in-a-bottle type thing; I'm not sure it will be at all possible to recapture it.

We shall see..!

18. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    The first 4 seasons of the HD Blu-Ray version, with supposedly intact original music are available via "magic means". :)

Mikeguy likes this.
  19. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I just ordered the complete series HD Blu-ray boxed set, via the less-magical means of an eBay seller offering free shipping to the US. I've had the DVDs for a long time, but never got beyond the first two because of the missing music.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    For some reason I thought Barry Corbin (Maurice) had died, so I was speculating he would be the person they would have killed off. I wonder if they might put this on CBS All-Access rather than the mother ship. That might actually get me to subscribe, (at least just for this series). It will be interesting seeing these folks 25 years later.

VegasVic likes this.