noob warning

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by RepeatPlayback, Jan 17, 2012.

1. RepeatPlayback

RepeatPlayback New Member

Jan 17, 2012
    I'm not sure this is even proper to ask here but here goes.
    I have been given a Tivo HDMI Premiere to see if i can "hack" it to make it do one simple task.

All it needs to do is to pause a live video feed for a while. The scenario is as follows:

A live presentation in one room is sent to another room for an alternate audience. The second room is not always ready to view this presentation at the same time as the live room so when that happens we used to simply hit pause. This worked for some time until recently the Tivo stopped pausing.

I was told that this is a consequence of failure to pay for a tivo subscription.
    Since in this instance we have no need for anything Tivo has to offer it seems unfair to have to pay for this functionality.

Is this easily accomplished, or is this the wrong place to ask?

2. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    how would you get the video to the tivo? why not just do a video camera?

3. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    unless you fork over for the cardcard your viewing channels are limited to the SD channels below 200

4. mbates73

mbates73 Hug Your TiVo 2Day

Nov 4, 2010
    Alpharetta, GA
    Probably not the answer you are looking for - but one approach is to use windows home media svr and a tuner device like the silicon dust hd prime. Trying to hack a tivo to circumvent its license sounds like a lot of time for something that could be done other ways without a subscription.

I use my xbox as a media extender and Have full dvr capability on it. Its not a "real" replacement for a tivo but works just fine as a basement device.

Ping me if you want more info on my setup but the hd prime device is cool and lets me watch all tv chanels from my cable co on any win7 box.

-just my $.02
    Matt

5. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Hacking a TiVo to record without subscription is considered theft of service and is not allowed to be discussed on this forum. As pointed out by the poster above there are other options to do what you want which do not require a subscription.

6. flashesbuck

flashesbuck New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    +1 on the media center, Or find an old PC and set up a MyTh TV with ubuntu. The setup your looking for would be very cheap if you want no channels, just to pause one stream coming in.

I did several months of googling to find another use for a tivo thru hacking, i found almost nothing on this. You would think something of this nature would be hacked, i mean look at the original xbox, that thing was amazing running XBMC.

7. RepeatPlayback

Jan 17, 2012
    Let me make this part clear. I have no desire to be connected to ANYTHING except a video feed from a camera in another room. I'm not trying to steal any broadcast content so there is no theft of service. Seriously. I don't even care if the thing has a tuner or program guide or anything else. The only thing I need it for is to buffer the video feed from one room to another because the audience in the second room begins watching the presenter a few minutes after the presenter begins talking to the people in the first room.

Since that is what the hardware was built to do it seems to be a logical hardware option. I was surprised that there would be a monthly charge if I'm not using it for broadcast content. And that didn't used to be the case as a previous model was used for a couple years like that. Only recently did this problem come up. They bought 3 of these things just for for this purpose.

I understand the potential liability of discussing the word "hacking" in a forum and I don't want to cause grief, but we all know there is a thriving subculture doing just that with ANY piece of tech.

But if there is no ethical way to do this we will just throw them out and I'll look into the suggestions offered or come up with something else. But it seems such a waste.

I would welcome any further comments.

8. RepeatPlayback

Jan 17, 2012
    That is just what we are using. but I need to buffer it for the second audience

9. RepeatPlayback

Jan 17, 2012
    Home media server as in Windows Media Server? I don't need a tuner, I just need to buffer a video feed. Composite now, someday HD.

10. tjtv

tjtv Member

Jul 3, 2007
    I think that I read elsewhere in this forum that one of the recent firmware updates killed the "live TV buffer" functionality if the Premiere was not subscribed to the tivo service. If that is true there would be nothing you could do with the existing Premiere boxes to make it work. You'd have to locate older Premiere boxes which have not yet received the firmware update that kills this feature, and then keep these boxes off the internet so there is no physical way for them to receive the firmware update.

11. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    The theft of service referred to is the TiVo Service, not content. The TiVo boxes are not sold for the value of their hardware. They are sold in a business model where TiVo makes their margins by selling the service. This is somewhat similar to what US based cell companies do to be able to offer you $99 smart phones.

Please read TiVo's Terms and Conditions HERE that state:

[Start Quote]
    When you purchase a TiVo DVR and subscribe to the TiVo service, you must agree to the TiVo Service Agreement. The following TiVo Payment Plans (the "service plan(s)") are subject to and incorporated into the TiVo Service Agreement (the "service agreement"). Except as otherwise set forth in, and subject to, the service agreement, these service plans govern both your subscription to and receipt of the TiVo service and any TiVo DVR you may have received in connection with any service plan. Pricing, terms, and conditions of the TiVo service are subject to change at any time.

[clip]

Without a subscription to the TiVo service, your TiVo DVR will not work! Please see Section 7 of the TiVo Service Agreement.
    [End Quote]

You bought the box (or your organization did) and when you did, you agreed to the terms.

I hope that helps you understand why what you are asking actually is theft of service.

Here are your easiest solutions:

• Pony up the $20/month
    • Pay one time $400 for Lifetime
    • Buy a used lifetime-activated DVR off of eBay. If you only have Standard Definition needs, this could be as cheap at $100 for a Series 2 or there is even a Series 1 Lifetime for $30!

We will not help you steal service from TiVo.

12. RepeatPlayback

Jan 17, 2012
    OK these people clearly made a mistake. I'll toss them in the trash and do something else.

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If you're going to do that, pull the hard drive and power supply.
    Those would be worth something to someone here.

14. StringFellow

StringFellow New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Hacking proprietary software is illegal. The thriving subcultures you take about use commercially sold hardware and write custom software, NOT hack trademarked and copyrighted software and hardware.

Just look at all the custom software that has been developed for PS3s and MS Kinect sensors.

If you ask me this poster's post is a little fishy! Getting a free Premiere and then throwing "them" in the trash.

15. RepeatPlayback

Jan 17, 2012
    I admitted in the beginning that I know what it sounds like, but it is what I said it is. I have three of these, one still in the open box. They were bought by someone who didn't know anything about them reasonably expecting the new ones to do the same thing the old one did for years. "Live TV pause" I believe it was called here.

Now that the source of these bad decisions, who also claimed every problem can be solved by replacing a Windows machine with a Mac is finally gone, the leaders handed them to me to see if I can make them work like they were intended to. If not, they are trash and I will build something else. There's nothing fishy about it. What good are they if they don't do what they are needed to do. This guy created lots of problems like this.

I was simply asking about it here since I have never owned nor used one before. Perhaps someone has written custom software for them. I wont know till I ask.

16. RepeatPlayback

Jan 17, 2012
    That fits what was described to me. Thanks for the confirmation.

17. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    Don't throw them in the trash.

I do some work for a small non-profit. If you donate them to us, we will write a letter acknowledging the gift so they can be deducted from taxes.

PM - if interested.