Noob Telnet Troubles

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by MasterOfPuppets, May 24, 2007.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell

Advertisements

I just replaced my 40gb HD with a 320gb in my 24004A SA S2 Tivo yesterday.
    I hooked it back up yesterday, verified the expanded space, ran a network connection, watched a few shows, it recorded a few things overnight. Everything seems in order there.
    The problem is that I'm trying to get Telnet access.
    I'm following the Steve Jenkins guide , using his boot CD.
    The problem is that when I get to mounting my partitions (mount /dev/hdc# /mnt#), step 2.9 in his guide...I get the "mount: you must specify the filesystem tpe" message for ALL 3 partitions. I understand that the "inactive partition" isn't supposed to be there yet, but that the other 2 should be.
    Sorry, this has most likely been posted before, but I couldn't find anything...this is my first time attempting any of this...and as for the search here...well...you know...

Can someone please help a brother out?

2. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    Anybody got any suggestions?

3. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    First off, the guide and boot cd you are using are quite dated and were written for series 1 tivo's so not all of it applies to your model. That's most likely why you can't mount your tivo drive. You'll need an up-to-date boot cd as well as appropriate tools to complete the upgrade. Dvrupgrade offers a free boot cd you can use, as well as a boot cd for $5 that has all the same tools plus pre-prepared tivo kernels that you will need. I'd recommend the $5 cd.

When your tivo first boots, it runs a few checks of the filesystem to see if there are any "alien" files or if any native files have been changed. If it finds either, it destroys them and then reboots. So, obviously, you will need to prevent this. Even though telnet (tnlited) is native to the tivo, the command to start it up isn't. That's where killhdinitrd and the kernels on the $5 boot cd come in (the kernels on this cd have already had killhdinitrd applied to them). Killhdinitrd prevents this check keeping your hacks/modifications in tact. Here's a good guide that you can use in your case with a few slight modifications. It was written for a 6.2 directivo > http://www.thewallens.net/tivo/Tivo_unguide.html (props to gunnyman of course)

The main thing that will need to be changed for your case is step 15 where you rename netfilter. This won't work with your tivo, and IIRC, it will throw your tivo into a reboot loop. So instead, do this
    Code:
    cd /tivo/sbin
    mv iptables iptables.old
    echo -e '#!/bin/bash\nexit 0' > iptables
    chmod 755 iptables
    (note: that is a 'zero' not an uppercase 'O')

Also, if you are running software version 8.1 or higher, the tivo's native usb drivers are not compatible with the kernel you'll be using. So you will need to use backported drivers. I can't link to them here so google for "jamie usb backport drivers", use the first link and then the first link from the post to the "latest package" and download usbobj2.4.27-20070328.tar.bz2. Open up that archive and grab pegasus.o and usbnet.o from the /obj/drivers/2.4.20 folder. Also grab ehci-dummy.o, usb-ohci.o, and usbcore.o from the /obj/hosts/2.4.20_Series2 folder. Rename ehci-dummy.o to ehci-hcd.o, and then put each one of them on a cd and you can copy them to your tivo after using the steps laid out by Gunnyman.

When done with gunnyman's guide, pop in your driver cd and mount it the same as you did before. Then backup your existing drivers and copy over your new ones so networking will work. If you don't replace the native drivers with backports, then your tivo will reboot any time a (wired) usb adapter is plugged in.
    Code:
    mkdir /tivo/lib/modules/orig
    mv /tivo/platform/lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o /tivo/lib/modules/orig
    mv /tivo/platform/lib/modules/usb-ohci.o /tivo/lib/modules/orig
    mv /tivo/platform/lib/modules/usbcore.o /tivo/lib/modules/orig
    mv /tivo/lib/modules/pegasus.o /tivo/lib/modules/orig
    mv /tivo/lib/modules/usbnet.o /tivo/lib/modules/orig
    then
    Code:
    cp /cdrom/ehci-hcd.o /tivo/platform/lib/modules
    cp /cdrom/usb-ohci.o /tivo/platform/lib/modules
    cp /cdrom/usbcore.o /tivo/platform/lib/modules
    cp /cdrom/pegasus.o /tivo/lib/modules
    cp /cdrom/usbnet.o /tivo/lib/modules
    Then unmount the tivo drive, halt and shutdown your pc, put it all together and see if it works. Good luck and hope this helps, and as always, ATTEMPT AT YOUR OWN RISK, if done incorrectly, you may have to start from scratch. :D

edit - If you plan on using DHCP, then you may need to change one thing as well. Gunnyman's guide uses the 3.1.5 kernel. You would need the 7.2.2-oth-K1 kernel to use DHCP. If so just replace 3.1.5 with 7.2.2-oth-K1 in the kernel copy command in step 12.

4. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    Wow...thanks a lot for all that.
    I will give it a whirl in a little bit.

5. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell

Advertisements

OK, I followed Gunnyman's guide and put the changes that you mentioned in.
    It appears as though I am now having a USB problem...my Tivo is not detecting my Tivo brand Wireless G adapter.
    I followed all of the above mentioned code, with the usbobj2.4.27-20070328.tar.bz2 driver replacements extracted from the 2.4.20 and 2.4.20_Series2 folders...I am running the latest software version.
    I also edited for the 7.2.2-oth-K1 kernel.

6. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    did you happen to NUKE netfilter by renaming it?
    if so that doesn't work on Standalone units. Check on DDB for the proper entries to iptables to get telnet working.

7. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    As suggested by Da Goon, I replaced Step 15 of your guide with:
    cd /tivo/sbin
    mv iptables iptables.old
    echo -e '#!/bin/bash\nexit 0' > iptables
    chmod 755 iptables

in my original attempt that would up with the undetected adapter.

I'm not completely sure if that's what you were referencing...this is my first hack attempt, and honestly all my trips to DDB are usually frustrating since the people there are far more advanced than I am.

8. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    ok so you did that right. :)
    Why did you have to change the USB Drivers?
    That part confuses me.

9. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I did it because Da Goon told me to :p
    I'm going back in to double check a few things.

10. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    you shouldn't need to change out the drivers on a series 2 standalone. (as far as I know)

11. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I copied my original drivers back. When I first changed from the top USB port to the bottom the system rebooted, but after that it seems I can change ports if I want without a problem.
    Now when I start up I'll get a message that my Network Adapter has been detected...but after I go into "Set Up Network" I'll choose "I have a broadband connection" and then choose "MY network adapter is connected", then I'll get the screen that Tivo hasn't detected my network adapter...if I choose "OK, the network adapter is now connected", I just get to repeat that screen over and over.
    In Settings > Phone & Network I see my adapter...for some reason the MAC address has changed to 00:00:00:00:00:11
    I added that to my MAC Filter in my router, but still no dice on getting it to connect to Tivo.

Any idea what Tivo's problem is here?

12. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I should also point out that at this point I've only gone through the first 20 steps in Gunnyman's guide.
    I could use my wired USB adapter and try to connect, and try the superpatch, if you guys think that is advisable and would help get my wireless adapter connected.

13. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    does the tivo wireless adapter work prior to hacking?
    you really should verify that 1st

14. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    Yes, the wireless adapter worked fine prior to hacking.
    Right now I have the bash prompt up wired (I had to re-change the USB drivers to the ones Da Goon linked, otherwise the wired connection through it into constant reboots)
    Still no dice with the wireless.

15. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    well I got nothing else, because I don't own a standalone.
    perhaps check out the SApper thread?

16. Da Goon

Oct 22, 2006
    Sorry, I didn't even think about using wireless. The backport drivers are only for wired adapters. The tivo brand adapter is controlled by usb-cdc.o. You could add a line to your rc.sysinit.author to load it while booting. Try adding
    Code:
    insmod /lib/modules/usb-cdc.o
    sleep 5
    before the tnlited 23...etc line and then reboot with the wireless adapter hooked up.

17. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    why is this needed when the standalone supports the adapter natively?

18. Da Goon

Oct 22, 2006
    No idea, just figured it'd be worth a shot.

19. MasterOfPuppets

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I will give the suggestion a shot here shortly...I also ran into problems using SApper *sigh*

I assume that I should replace the backport drivers with my originals again? The originals do seem to cause a reboot if the adapter is unplugged and plugged back in.

20. MungoJerrie

MungoJerrie Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Just to clarify a few things. This is from Jamie's backport README:

So in addition to the backport drivers (which don't exist for the Tivo wireless adapter) the old 7.3 drivers were reported to work correctly with the 8.x software. But unless you have the old 7.3 drivers handy, if you want to use the Tivo wireless USB, I think you may need to monte into a nulled 8.x kernel and use the stock drivers.