Noob Questions re Multiple TV's and TIVO Record Rates

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by meBigGuy, Feb 23, 2007.

1. meBigGuy

meBigGuy New Member

Feb 23, 2007
    I didn't find answers to either of these questions in the FAQ. If they are there, sorry.

1. If I have 2 TIVOs for 2 TV's, do I require 2 subscriptions? If so, what other 2 TV solutions are practical?

2. What are the data rates for the various record qualities?
    (series 2, in MB per minute or whatever)

Thanks

2. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    What model Tivo do you have? There are some Toshiba and Pioneer units with integrated DVD players that have something called TiVo Basic that will work without a subscription. If you have a Series 2 or 3 then you need 2 subs. for 2 TiVo's. A Series 2 will only allow live TV trick play (FF, RW, and pause of the live 30 minuter buffer), and no recording or guide data. Series 1 recorders have some functionality without a subscription, others on this forum who have a Series 1 will know more than I.

Sorry, but I do not understand Question #2. Do you mean transfer rates between 2 networked TiVo's? If so, they are variable based on your network and type of adapters. I get the folllowing transfer rates on my 2 wired networked TiVo's:
    Basic 2x (30 minutes of recording can be transferred in 15 minutes)
    Medium 1.5x
    High 1x
    Best .75x

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Check the first post in megazone's Series3 FAQ thread. It lists the rates for the different models.

4. meBigGuy

meBigGuy New Member

Feb 23, 2007
    So, the answers seem to be

1. Two TV's? Buy 2 TIVOs and 2 Subscriptions.

2. Data Rates:
    TiVo Series2DT Best High Medium Basic
    3.16 2.00 1.52 0.92 GB per Hour

Thanks

Maybe they can add the rates to the regular faq.

meBig

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If you want to use MRV, you need another Tivo and subscription.

You can feed A/V or RF from the one TiVo to the alternate location, and use a remote extended to get remote commeands back to the DVR. The plus side is it is free beyond the initial investemnt in the video/remote extension hardware, doesn't take much power, and is instant.
    The downside is you can only watch the same thing on both sets, unless there is another source, and may get degredation of the picture and sound over the remote connection.