noob question

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cduval04, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jul 8, 2008 #1 of 22
    cduval04

cduval04 New Member

Nov 17, 2007

Advertisements

hi...I have a tivo series 2 DT DVR and I currently have comcast digital cable. I am switching to Verizon FIOS tv in a week and I want to know if there is any way I can still get the "FIOS picture" while using the tivo. I spent money on the tivo and it would be a shame to just have to put it away, but the apparently the picture with fios is AWESOME and I would hate to ruin it with an analog tivo (as channels 1-100 are mostly all I watch) right now I don't even get the picture I should be getting for channels b/c the picture is actually coming thru the tivo so its not digital

is there any "trick" I am missing out on to get digital picture while still using you series 2 tivo box or do I have to go out and spend $300 on a series 3 tivo?? If I do have to fork out the money for a series 3, who has the best price/sales on them?

thanks!

2. Jul 8, 2008 #2 of 22
    GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Do you have a HDTV? The "awesome" picture is really only the HD, the SD is pretty standard digital cable - I use a pair of S2's and don't notice any quality degradation.

If you have an HDTV, you definitely want a S3 or TivoHD - the HD is cheaper, check out Amazon (since they price match for 30 days).

3. Jul 8, 2008 #3 of 22
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    And also, don't forget the DT is only a Dual Tuner in analog mode. You cannot record two digital sources at the same time. Only 1 and 1 or 2 analog. For dual digital/HD, you MUST have either a TiVo S3 or TiVoHD.

I love my TiVoHD with a single M-Series cable card. And I only have "lifeline" from Comcast at $10/month. I get my local analogs plus I also get my local clear-QAM HD channels. I love being able to record two HD programs at the same time. I just need to upgrade the hard drive now.

4. Jul 8, 2008 #4 of 22
    cduval04

cduval04 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    no I just have SD tv's No HD's yet. the only reason I say that about fios is cuz the sales rep said "the picture quality is fabulous - its like having hd without having hd." so is it really no better than comcast digital cable? are ALL the channels digital w/ fios or just the higher ones? I think with comcast the low number channels are not digital anyway - at least thats the message i seem to be getting from reading these forums

I had been wondering why the picture quailty SO bad after reading that there shouldnt be much difference in picture quality when the tivo is hooked up to the cable box as opposed to when the tv is hooked directly to the box with no tivo..

so I decided to take a look at the back of my tv. I think I was drunk when I hooked it up. :eek: first of all, I had the signal coming in thru coax not composite, and the coax was split in like 3 different places b4 it actually got to the tv...
    I rearranged the cables so it is only split once (from the cable line, one is going to my cable box and one to my tivo) and the rest of the connections are composite.

it looks way better now, with only the slightest degradation in quality from the cable box being hooked directly to the tv as oppesed to with the tivo in the middle. it's so subtle you have to know what you're looking for to notice. I'm assuming that's just the quality of my splitter?? I'm using a splitter that the cable company gave me because they said the one that came with the tivo was crap. I've read something about amplified splitters?? are those better? where can I get them? how much do they cost?

also, what are S2's??

thanks!

5. Jul 8, 2008 #5 of 22
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey

Advertisements

Series 2 Tivos

6. Jul 8, 2008 #6 of 22
    jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but FIOS is 100% digital, while Comcast is not.

Cduval04 -
    Is your Series 2 Dual Tuner setup with your Comcast service to be able to record on the second tuner (in analog)?

If so, you will lose that capability once you switch to FIOS, rendering your Series 2 DT, a Single Tuner.

7. Jul 8, 2008 #7 of 22
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The "100% digital" is just marketing. "digital" does not necessarily mean high quality, though FiOS TV consistently gets great marks for both content and picture quality. Most cable systems (eg. Comcast) use a mix of digital and analog transmissions, though some cities are switching to all-digital. Again, being digital is not necessarily good - if the "bit rate" for the channel is too low, as it often is to make more channels available, picture quality will suffer.

The comments above about the use of a S2-DT on FiOS are valid. You won't get the best quality picture using a S2-DT and you will have to use Verizon's cable box (unless you want to limit yourself to a couple of dozen analog channels, where offered.

8. Jul 8, 2008 #8 of 22
    cduval04

cduval04 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    what do you mean by this...sorry I'm a true noob

9. Jul 8, 2008 #9 of 22
    jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    About 15-20 local channels. No CNN,ESPN, HBO, Nickelodeon, etc. All of those channels are digital and require Verizon's Set Top Box (STB). You will receive your local broadcast channels suchs as ABC, NBC, FOX and CBS along with some public access channels.

From Verizon FIOS website:

* Do I need a separate Set Top Box for every TV in my house?

If you subscribe to any digital packages or premium channels, you will need a Set Top Box (STB) for each television where you wish to access that programming. Set Top Boxes are also needed for Pay Per View, On Demand and the Interactive Programming Guide. To access the basic analog service only (no premium channels, etc.), a STB is not required, but you will need a cable-ready TV or appropriate adapter.

You can check your local lineup here...
    http://www22.verizon.com/content/fiostv/channel+lineup/channel+lineup.htm
    and determine from the list which channels are sent digital versus analog. I think the channels listed as "FIOS Local" are the analog channels.

10. cduval04

cduval04 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    do you know which channels are analog on comcast? cuz I thought only channels ABOVE 100 on comcast were digital, but if it turns out channels like CNN,ESPN, and MSNBC are actually digital on comcast and only the local broadcast are analog, then that means I have been dealing with the "crappier" picture quality all along and it wont be something I have to get used to as much b/c I'm alread living with it lol.....unless FIOS's digital channels are really THAT much better quality than comcast's, then with the tivo I might be more dissapointed...

11. cduval04

cduval04 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    ok I've done some reading and from what I understand comcast currently has more analog channels than verizon FIOS, right now everything in their "expanded basic" pacakge is analog which includes channels such as CNN, ESPN and MSNBC (pretty much anything under 100) whereas with verizon FIOS only local broadcast channels are analog (like 1-20), but starting in 2009, when the DTV transition occurs, comcast is going to make everything digital except the local broadcast channels, just like verizon has now.

Can anyone confirm that I have done my research correctly??

(if I have this right, getting fios WILL proabably be more of a dissapointment b/c channels 1-100 will now be digital without tivo and my tivo will make them come in as analog, whereas now with comcast they are analog with or without tivo)

I guess I will just save up my money for a tivo HD and/or wait till the price drops!

note: I got most of my info from this article http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/archives/2008/06/got_expanded_analog_cable_from_comcast_not_fo_1.html

12. pomerlp

pomerlp New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    I've never seen a digital picture that looked better then an analog, but I agree with you it could be possible. I know that a cable company that upgrades local channels from analog to digital look pretty bad.

I have seen OTA digital converter boxes with analog televisions and I think that looks pretty good compared to just the analog picture OTA.

I wonder why the cable company can't do the same thing?

13. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The cable companies don't have the bandwidth to the house that FiOS has. Given that nobody that I know of delivers HD using analog, you're looking at various forms of digital signal. Even with SD analog, a cable system can reduce the bandwidth and thus reduce the quality of the picture to VHS level or worse. I've seen it.

Note that there is no single "Comcast" - every market is a bit different in their equipment, network and encoding choices.

14. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    The DTV transition has no impact on Comcast's decision to transmit analog or digital. Read the last paragraph or 2 of that article again. Most people are confused over the DTV transition, including people who work at Comcast. I am a Comcast customer and called the other day for an unrelated matter, and the girl told me the FCC is going to fine individual customers for receiving an analog signal from Comcast (She was using a scare tacit to try to get me to upgrade my service). I played with her a bit, then dropped it. :) According to the related article, about 20% of Comcast's footprint will be all digital by the end of this year, and it will take a couple of more years (2010) to fully transfer all of Comcast over to digital.

If you decide to go with FIOS, I recommend replacing your Series 2 with a HDTiVo (reburb's for $199 and new for $225-$250 on the web) along with CableCards and forget this whole STB thing, the whole 1 tuner vs. 2 tuner thing, and the quality issue. IMO, you will get your best overall compatibility between FIOS and the TiVoHD.

15. cduval04

cduval04 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    ok will do...could you point me to where I could get a refurb for 199.00 or new for 225.00? I looked around the web and the lowest I could find was 299.00...

16. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
  17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Your Tivo doesn't "make" anything come in as analog. If you're referring to a Tivo recording from a cable box, many people have been doing that for years and years.. (and with satellite boxes). (I hate cable boxes..)

Series 3 & TivoHD Tivos will work with FIOS directly, and record 2 channels at once (with cablecards).

18. cduval04

cduval04 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    is there any way to get just the refurb hdtivo and not the plan? I already have a 3 yr plan...

19. MsRoboto

MsRoboto Member

Oct 11, 2003
    I have FIOS and just so you know they are going all digital really soon.

They were giving away digital converters to existing customers to ease the transition.

There were VERY limited analog channels anyway and now we can get everything on all the TV's.

As far as Tivo get the series 3 you'll be happier.

20. cduval04

cduval04 New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    we will see...with comcast now I am not too dissapointed with the S2...if when I get fios, the picture is THAT much crappier with the S2...then I will definitly consider the HD tivo, but I dont want to run out and spend money on something that is not totally necessary....

plus right now as it is I have the coax out on the cable box going to my tivo and then composite going from the tivo to tv, so to watch tivo I switch to "input 1" but then I have coax going from the "to tv" port on the cable box right to the coax in my tv. so if I want to watch tivo tv, I just go to input 1, but then if I want to watch cablebox tv w/ no tivo (and comcast quality picture), I just switch off the input, to the reg tv so I kind of get the best of both worlds with just the push of the input button.

theoretically, I could have the same setup with fios which would hold me over until i can save up the money for an HD tivo, right?? (unless fios's cableboxes are different and only have one coax port)