Noob Question...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by spatel783, Jan 4, 2006.

1. spatel783

spatel783 New Member

Nov 26, 2005

Advertisements

I'm totally new to tivo so obivously I have some insane questions :)

1. I've connected my Tivo to a phone line and intend to keep it that way for some time. (I don't want to shell out any money for a wireless adapter just yet...I'm a college studen). Is it okay that I use my tivo through my phone line for a long time or is it necessary to switch over?

2. How many times does Tivo need to "dial-in"?
    3. How long does it stay Dialed in for?
    4. I only have one phone line...will the tivo interfere with the phone calls I make or recieve?

Thanks everyone!

2. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    all of this is in the manual.

You could use the phone line for the life of the product to no ill effect, you just miss out on all the networking features like HME adn TiVoToGo. But the DVR part will run just fine.

TiVo tends to dial in every other day but I have seen it go every 20 hours as well.
    Typically it dials in late at night.

it does not interfer with the phone line. If someone has the phone in use- TiVo tries again in an hour or so, if the TiVo is doing its thing adn someone picks up the phone, TiVo releases the line right away and will pick up on what the TiVo was doing in an hour or so.

so keep the phone line plugged into the TiVo and forget about it.

3. spatel783

spatel783 New Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Thanks for the quick response!

One last...one is the Tivo dialing in for so often? Just for updated channel list? Does the Tivo need to dial in everytime I record things?

thanks

4. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    No. It dials in every day or two to update its guide data, so that everything will record accurately. Without doing this, the TiVo becomes useless rather quickly. It will also download software updates when it calls in, if there are any.

5. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI

Advertisements

The TiVo dials in and downloads what is called "guide data", which is basically a TV Guide. It know all about every show, when it's on, info about it, etc. It keeps 2 weeks worth of data so it downloads new stuff and updates, because if a change is made and you have old guide data, your TiVo will do the wrong thing. The dialing in often keeps these updates going.

Dialing in also updates the TiVo's clock so it is accurate, and occasionally will download updates to the TiVo itself so it can do new things.

If you schedule shows from TiVo's website, they also won't take effect until TiVo dials in.

TiVo does not need to dial in for each recording....it only dials to download the guide data and then TiVo works "offline".

6. spatel783

spatel783 New Member

Nov 26, 2005
    thanks so much guys! Maybe I will invest in a wireless adapter

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
  8. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    The majority of our customers use a phone line to connect to the TiVo service, and your DVR will work very well with just a phone line.

But! There are a lot of great features that can take advantage of a network connection: Digital Music, Digital Photos, Multi-Room Viewing (if you have two or more DVRs), faster TiVo Central Online scheduling, TiVo To Go (transfer your programs to a laptop or PC), Online Applications (including movie tickets, Live365, Podcaster, Yahoo! applications and games), Best Buy New Music, Nikon Legends Behinds the Lens, and our content download service (including Rocketboom, C|Net, Red Trousers, and more).

On average it will make one connection every 28 hours over time. Two individual connections may be shorter or longer than 28 hours apart, but over time the average is 28 hours.

After you complete Guided Setup and assuming no software downloads or need to catch up on missing program guide data, about two to three minutes.

My default, your DVR knows when the phone is in use. It will not try to make a connection if the phone is already off-hook, and it will hang up as soon as it can if it is using the phone and you pick up the handset.

Welcome!

Best regards,
    Stephen

9. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA

May not help but look for the Linksys 100TX wired adapter on ebay, it's not the fastest option but probably the cheapest option for networking if you happen to have access to a wired network.