Noob question on PAUSE feature

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by smojo, Sep 11, 2007.

1. smojo

smojo New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Someone who is new to TiVo asked me if it was bad to leave a previously recorded show on PAUSE forever. (Well, let's say for a week while on vacation.)

I could not answer the question since I either push the left-arrow to return to the menus and 'bookmark' the point of the show I want to continue from, or press the TiVo button, same result.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks in advance!

2. jtown0620

jtown0620 TIMELORD with TiVo

Jun 17, 2004
    Trinity, Fl.
    It only caches about 30 mins while paused after that it will return to live tv. So no if you leave it paused it won't hurt anything. You might want to look in the TiVo Help section of this forum for any other questions plus you may find a lot of questions you'll come up with in the future are already answered there.

3. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I can't see how it would hurt the TiVo. If the TV were turned off there would be no harm to the TV either.

4. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Doesn't hurt. I've left it on for days without problem. It's not like with a VCR. :)

5. smojo

smojo New Member

Aug 4, 2003

This is only true if you pause live TV. If you pause a recorded program it will stay paused until you press play or go into the menus.

6. mrdbdigital

mrdbdigital The TBS Archives TCF Club

Feb 2, 2004
    Moultrie, GA
    What you are saying is only true when watching live TV, where a paused program will go back to live after the 30 minute buffer is filled.

The OP was asking about a previously recorded program, where once you pause it, it will stay until you unpause it. I have left shows paused overnight before I have started them again (This is on series 1 directv machines). I don't know if under those conditions if it ever unpauses by itself. (And by overnight I mean 12-14 hours)

7. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Tivo bookmarks your recorded shows when you back out of watching them.
    There's no need to leave a recorded show in pause.

8. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    On the other hand, as long as the TV is off, it doesn't seem to hurt anything to leave it pause.

If the TV was on you might have a burn in issue on the screen (depending on TV type), not to mention all the electricity wasted by running a TV for a week when nobody was around. :)

9. lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    You can left arrow out of the show to the info screen and the play selection changes to resume play. It will stay at that point even if you got to the NPL and select another program. When you come back the program you left partially played, it will still have "Resume Play" highlighted and will start where you left unless you start playing and rewind to the beginning.

Sometimes if I record two program sequentially on the same channel, the first program will finish on the next program's recording. I do this intentionally if I know or suspect that the the first program might run over into the next's time slot. I usually pad the second show a bit. I try to watch the first show first than later watch the second show. So I will leave the second show in "Resume Playing" for a while after I delete the first show. I'm careful not the delete the second show before I watch the first show. (Not such a big deal with the "Recently Deleted" folder now.)

10. jtown0620

jtown0620 TIMELORD with TiVo

Jun 17, 2004
    Trinity, Fl.
    Sorry about the misinformation I must have skipped the "previously recorded" part.

11. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    It shouldn't hurt anything as everyone else has already stated. I'll add that way back when I had a S1 tivo and accidently left something on pause overnight, I had to reboot the tivo because it would not respond to the remote to unpause it or get to a menu. That may have been inconvenient, but everything was ok afterward.