None of my minis will tune in channel that comes in fine on roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Hickoryw, Jun 20, 2016.

  1. Jun 20, 2016 #1 of 480
    Hickoryw

    Hickoryw Member

    44
    4
    Dec 6, 2008

    Advertisements

    So, this morning i noticed that i can't tune in to chanel 1915 on my mini. When i tune to it i just get a black screen. If i change away from it and back to it i get a black screen with the blue spinning circle and the mini is locked up and completely unresponsive until I either unplug power or the coax until it says it's lost connection. This happens on all 3 of my minis. The channel tunes in fine on the roamio. I've restarted the minis and the roamio, but the issue persists. Any insights or suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.
     
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  2. Jun 20, 2016 #2 of 480
    Hickoryw

    Hickoryw Member

    44
    4
    Dec 6, 2008
    Update:
    Just found another channel with the same synptoms. Also was trying a workaround of recording the channel then watching the recording on the mini and when that didn't work I noticed that those channels on the roamio have no buffer and if I try to record them it says it's recording, but not actually recording and when the recording is stopped the entry in my shows dissapears. So, the channels in question can only be watched on the roamio, not the minis, and only live with no 30 minute buffer... This says to me that the issue isn't with the minis, but with the fact that the roamio can't record, or even buffer, those channels. Wondering if comcast has changed the format of those to something that the roamio can display, buy somehow not record. Again, any help/insight greatly appreciated.
     
  3. Jun 20, 2016 #3 of 480
    JoeKustra

    JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

    20,274
    3,762
    Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It might not help, or even be significant, but checking TiVo box Diagnostics for the channel, is it MPEG-2? What's the frequency?
     
  4. Jun 20, 2016 #4 of 480
    Hickoryw

    Hickoryw Member

    44
    4
    Dec 6, 2008
    Hey, at least for 1915 (HBO Signature HD) it's H.264 and the frequency is 399000 KHz...
    I have also found that it is happening on a total of 10 of my HD channels. Haven't checked SD, takes too long and too many of them... Comcast Nashville btw
     
  5. Jun 20, 2016 #5 of 480
    JoeKustra

    JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

    20,274
    3,762
    Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

    Advertisements

    Thanks for testing. I guess you'll need help from someone with Comcast/MPEG-4 on a Mini, plus premium channels.
     
  6. Jun 20, 2016 #6 of 480
    Hickoryw

    Hickoryw Member

    44
    4
    Dec 6, 2008
    Thanks for trying. To be clear the hbo channel is just 1 of 10 that this is happening on. The others include WGN, DIY, a couple kids channels among others. And all was fine yesterday... actually recorded a movie at 1:45 AM on the hbo channel that recorded fine.
     
  7. Jun 20, 2016 #7 of 480
    lpwcomp

    lpwcomp Well-Known Member

    9,461
    298
    May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Sounds like the CCi has been set to "Copy Never".
     
  8. Jun 20, 2016 #8 of 480
    Hickoryw

    Hickoryw Member

    44
    4
    Dec 6, 2008
    From the quick google search i just did on cci never, it seems like even then it could be recorded and watched for 90 minutes. The 10 channels in question I can only watch live and only on the roamio. If you set a show to record it acts as if it's recording, but if you attempt to play it there is nothing there and when the recording ends it dissapears from the my shows list and is not in the recently deleted folder either. Presumably because nothing was actually recorded. There isn't even a buffer on those channels, so they aren't being recorded in any way.
     
  9. Jun 20, 2016 #9 of 480
    lpwcomp

    lpwcomp Well-Known Member

    9,461
    298
    May 6, 2002
    John's...
    As I understand it, that 90 minutes is for OTT content you d/l, not for linear channels. There's no real difference between the buffer and a saved recording. They are both recordings.
     
  10. Jun 21, 2016 #10 of 480
    ej42137

    ej42137 Well-Known Member

    3,763
    578
    Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I think lpwcomp either knows or is presuming that a CCI of "copy never" prevents streaming of those channels from your Roamio to your Mini. My guess is that if "copy never" is being set, it is probably a mistake on the part of your cable company; the only times I have seen or heard of it being set is for downloaded content (which is no longer available) and errors that were temporary and quickly repaired. If that is the case, the only one who can repair this is your cable company. You have my sympathy.
     
  11. Jun 21, 2016 #11 of 480
    lpwcomp

    lpwcomp Well-Known Member

    9,461
    298
    May 6, 2002
    John's...
    While tuned to one of the channels, check the "TiVo box Diagnostics" and see what the CCI byte value is.
     
  12. Jun 21, 2016 #12 of 480
    Hickoryw

    Hickoryw Member

    44
    4
    Dec 6, 2008
    Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing i can figure... must be something on the cable company's end. So I guess all I can do is wait and hope... because I'll be damned if I call comcast. There's almost no chance the person I talk to will have a clue, and a high chance they'll screw something else up. Any time I've had to call comcast it takes multiple calls and several hours and there's about a 15% chance the problem is resolved and a 85% chance they screw something else up. One time they put me on a completely different tv and internet package. The new package was actually cheaper than what I'd been paying, so it would have been fine except that they never informed me and added random add-ons to make it the same price I'd been paying before. So I had no idea anything had changed until I looked at the details of my next bill. When I called to fix this situation I was told my old plan was no longer offered so I couldn't go back, and I couldn't get a different new plan because I had been given an introductory offer and would have to wait a year. And when I asked them to take off the add-on packages I hadn't asked for, been told about, or had use for they were able to do that, but in the process removed my cable card from my account somehow necessitating a few more calls... So yeah, calling comcast about it is beyond last resort.

    Sorry for the rant.
     
  13. Jun 21, 2016 #13 of 480
    Hickoryw

    Hickoryw Member

    44
    4
    Dec 6, 2008
    The cci byte value is 0x00 which seems to be the same as all of the other channels...
     
  14. Jun 21, 2016 #14 of 480
    lpwcomp

    lpwcomp Well-Known Member

    9,461
    298
    May 6, 2002
    John's...
    So that's not it. It is suprising though for a premium channel.
     
  15. Jun 21, 2016 #15 of 480
    JoeKustra

    JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

    20,274
    3,762
    Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Your problem is very strange. Just for testing, I tuned my basic Roamio to channel 1915. First I received an error that the channel was not available. Then I went to the diags and it was mostly blank. All it showed was:
    Cablecard association: none
    SNR 35 db
    Current Tuning Status: Malformed Request
    Tuned State: not tuned

    In other words, crap. My feed doesn't have channels past 700. But you have lost the tuning ability on all your Mini boxes. I know this is a lot to ask, but I might put the host into standby, pull the power, and reseat the cable card. It not logical, but less painful than calling Comcast.
     
  16. Jun 21, 2016 #16 of 480
    JoeKustra

    JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

    20,274
    3,762
    Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have the same 0x00 on my premium channels also. It is strange. But may be caused by them not being authorized on my feed.
     
  17. Jun 21, 2016 #17 of 480
    Hickoryw

    Hickoryw Member

    44
    4
    Dec 6, 2008
    At this point I'm fairly certain that the mini issue is just a symptom of the real issue which is that those 10 channels for some reason aren't being recorded (or buffered) by the roamio.
     
  18. Jun 21, 2016 #18 of 480
    JoeKustra

    JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

    20,274
    3,762
    Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Yes, that's true. Perhaps you can give TiVo's online support a try. They do tend to answer and if they ask you to do stupid stuff you can ignore them.
    https://support.tivo.com/SupportHomePage1
     
  19. Jun 21, 2016 #19 of 480
    Hickoryw

    Hickoryw Member

    44
    4
    Dec 6, 2008
    Thanks, if the problem persists that will certainly be a step I'll take before I dare to even think of trying comcast...lol

    I've been checking out the diagnostics info for each of the effected channels and noticed something interesting. 9 out of 10 of the effected channels are on the same frequency with a different program number.

    1915 hbosig. 399000 KHz program number 9
    1862 indieflix. 399000. 5
    1816 retroplex 399000. 6
    1511 discfam. 399000. 3
    1505 sprout. 399000. 8
    1345 ovatn. 399000. 2
    1325 gsn. 399000. 4
    1291 diy. 399000. 1
    1281 cooking. 399000. 7

    1216 wgn. 381000. 4

    Seems like more than coincidence, but the one that's different leaves me scratching my head.

    Btw I have tried completely powering down (unplugging) the roamio and reseating the cable card to no effect.
     
  20. Jun 21, 2016 #20 of 480
    JoeKustra

    JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

    20,274
    3,762
    Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you are saying that you have 9 HD channels on one QAM channel, I guess H.264 does one hell of job with compression. Wow.
     

Share This Page

spam firewall

Advertisements